Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > New Sound Card?

New Sound Card?
coolmac
Feb 10, 2003, 06:35 PM

I'd like to upgrade the sound card in my 933Mhz Powermac, any suggestions on a good upgrade choice?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 07:28 PM

Well, if I was going to get a soundcard, I think I'd get the Revolution by M-audio. It sounds impressive. See this link.

https://m-audio.rjmg.com/index.cfm?pid=3351

I don't know if it's shipping yet.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by coolmac:
I'd like to upgrade the sound card in my 933Mhz Powermac, any suggestions on a good upgrade choice?
Wait till 10.2.4, it will supposedly have Audigy drivers built into it.

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2003, 08:30 PM

anyone got a hundred bucks to lend me?

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2003, 08:32 PM

i think I'm going to get ze revolution card :eg:
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

AsahiToro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2003, 12:42 AM

MegaMacs has the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 for $99 shipped. That's a tempting price considering you get a free copy of Tony Hawk 3 as well. I think I may splurge for one. I've read it helps on 2 speaker setups as well. Should sound great driving my Monsoon MM1000's. Hell, I need something to fill these PCI slots. I'll post a report later after I get the card.

goldplata
Feb 11, 2003, 05:06 AM

What are the audigy Cards? Is this a better card than the M-audio.
Will this card alow DVD Player to output 5.1 audio???
Thanks

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by goldplata:
What are the audigy Cards? Is this a better card than the M-audio.
Will this card alow DVD Player to output 5.1 audio???
Thanks
Its the next iteration of Soundblaster soundcards...they aren't bad, I haven't used a M-audio card so I don't know how they compare - but they are cheap, like $50 OEM and they even include a FireWire port

coolmac  (op)
Feb 14, 2003, 02:32 AM

I called Creative Labs yesterday to inquire if they make any sound cards for the Mac.

I was told unfortunately they do not.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 02:50 AM

I called Creative Labs yesterday to inquire if they make any sound cards for the Mac.

I was told unfortunately they do not.
No but supposedly drivers are built into 10.2.4 which allow you to use the PC card in the Mac.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2003, 06:32 AM

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
No but supposedly drivers are built into 10.2.4 which allow you to use the PC card in the Mac.
That is completely untrue. The only sound cards that work in Mac OS X and 9 and M-Audio's. Their consumer lineup consists of the Sonica, Revolution, and Sonica Theater.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by gizzard:
That is completely untrue. The only sound cards that work in Mac OS X and 9 and M-Audio's. Their consumer lineup consists of the Sonica, Revolution, and Sonica Theater.
Are you 100% sure about that? Apple hasn't publicized it but they built in Extigy drivers to 10.2.3 (albeit not very good ones) and Audigy drivers to 10.2.4. I'm going to take my roommates Audigy tonight and give it a try, hopefully everything works

-Q-
Feb 14, 2003, 10:52 AM

Initial reports are that there aren't drivers in there, but I haven't had any first-hand experience with it yet. A buddy was going to try it this weekend also so I'll post his results when he tries it...

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 12:20 PM

Originally posted by gizzard:
Notice I said supposedly? Not like I tried it out or anything.
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2003, 12:50 PM

I got a m-audio Sonica and I am very pleased with the soundquality! I got mine for 67 US. But it got no audio in, only out (1 optical and 1 analog).

gizzard
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 14, 2003, 01:34 PM

Originally posted by agasthya:
Are you 100% sure about that? Apple hasn't publicized it but they built in Extigy drivers to 10.2.3 (albeit not very good ones) and Audigy drivers to 10.2.4. I'm going to take my roommates Audigy tonight and give it a try, hopefully everything works
There aren't "built in Extigy drivers" at all, there is just basic support for USB audio devices. The Extigy is only able to output basic audio, you can't even adjust the volume!

Originally posted by OptimusG4:
Notice I said supposedly? Not like I tried it out or anything.
Yes, I can read. I'm just annoyed when people believe rumors like that

coolmac  (op)
Feb 14, 2003, 02:22 PM

Which sound card is actually in my 933Mhz Quicksilver 2002 Powermac?
Does anybody know?

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 02:28 PM

Which sound card is actually in my 933Mhz Quicksilver 2002 Powermac?
Does anybody know?
All Macs come with builtin sound, meaning that the sound circuitry and chips are actually part of the motherboard and not on a card. The sound software is part of the MacOS software. I don't know who actually manufactures the chips.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 14, 2003, 02:58 PM

I would get the M-Audio Revolution 7.1. It is $99 USD and comes free with a $50 game (Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3), has Mac OS X compatible drivers, and comes with a custom version of the VLC DVD player which supports 5.1 output.

coolmac  (op)
Feb 14, 2003, 03:27 PM

O.K, so if I get the MAudio Revolution 7.1, after installing it will it automatically over-ride the built in audio chip on the motherboard?

Will there be any conflicts?, also where is the best online retailer to order this sound card?

coolmac  (op)
Feb 14, 2003, 05:39 PM

Also is megamacs.com a reliable place to order from?
On resellerratings.com they have only one review.

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 14, 2003, 05:43 PM

Also is megamacs.com a reliable place to order from?
On resellerratings.com they have only one review.
How about Amazon.com? or directly from M-Audio's site

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2003, 04:16 AM

O.K, so if I get the MAudio Revolution 7.1, after installing it will it automatically over-ride the built in audio chip on the motherboard?

Will there be any conflicts?, also where is the best online retailer to order this sound card?
No it won�t override the internal "sound chip" You can choose which audio "out/in" you wants to use from the sound preferences panes in preferences. You can even use both!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2003, 05:04 AM

Originally posted by solitere:
No it won�t override the internal "sound chip" You can choose which audio "out/in" you wants to use from the sound preferences panes in preferences. You can even use both!
Aw yes the beautiful thing about macs.

No conflicts, IRQs, not even motherboard incompatibility issues and such.

It just works.

Now if only that was true with my pro speakers! >
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2003, 08:42 AM

I've been using a Revolution for a couple weeks. I've posted mini reviews at a few sites.

The Tony Hawk 3 game that comes with it is only for the PC.

As long as you download the latest OS X drivers, OS X performance should be fine. I'd recommend it to any OS X users. OS 9 gamers will not like it much. Anyone looking for high quality recording should look elsewhere. The Revolution is targeted for consumers, not audio professionals or even audio hobbiests.

Here's a link to one of my mini reviews with the most feedback from other owners:

http://insidemacgames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7781

AsahiToro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by a2daj:

The Tony Hawk 3 game that comes with it is only for the PC.

Crap! I ordered my Revolution a few days ago and haven't got it yet. I was looking forward to THP3 as well. Anyone wanna buy a PC copy?

coolmac  (op)
Feb 15, 2003, 12:17 PM

Question, when I play live TV with my EyeTV and Sound Stick speakers. the sound is a little tinny.

Would using the Revolution 7.1 card clean up the sound and all around make it sound better?

It was mentioned in the review thread that the audio wants to revert back to its original setting. Is it possible to remove the original audio drivers before installing the Revolutions?

One more thing, when I went to CompUSA yesterday they did have a Mac version of the Sound Blaster Live! card sitting next to the Revolutions at exactly the same price.

How would the Sound Blaster Live! card sound compared to the Revolution 7.1's?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2003, 12:33 PM

seeing OS X doesn't reconize the SBL i think it would suck balls

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 15, 2003, 01:41 PM

Question, when I play live TV with my EyeTV and Sound Stick speakers. the sound is a little tinny.

Would using the Revolution 7.1 card clean up the sound and all around make it sound better?

Almost Any 24bit audio out device gives a better audio output than the Apple built in audio.

You will not notice it on 128 kbs MP3 files but all above you will notice a big differance!
( Last edited by solitere; Feb 15, 2003 at 04:51 PM. )

conky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2003, 03:34 PM

Just make sure to download the newest drivers from M-Audio. I guess the first version that was out gave some people install problems.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Feb 16, 2003, 01:17 AM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Initial reports are that there aren't drivers in there, but I haven't had any first-hand experience with it yet. A buddy was going to try it this weekend also so I'll post his results when he tries it...
Ok.

I tried my roommates Audigy Platinum in my G4 and it was a no go. I tried hooking up a microphone and speakers to it and the sound just came out the front speaker and the microphone just didn't work period. The interesting part, however, is that the FireWire port worked. I hooked up my iPod to it and it showed up on the Desktop and in iTunes and transfer worked fine. Here is what Apple System Profiler reported about the card:

Oh well

a2daj
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 01:45 AM

It was mentioned in the review thread that the audio wants to revert back to its original setting. Is it possible to remove the original audio drivers before installing the Revolutions?

One more thing, when I went to CompUSA yesterday they did have a Mac version of the Sound Blaster Live! card sitting next to the Revolutions at exactly the same price.

How would the Sound Blaster Live! card sound compared to the Revolution 7.1's?
I haven't had any issues with the source source switching in my Mac running Jag or Puma.
The Mac SBL isn't even supported anymore so I wouldn't want to steer someone toward buying one. The SBL is a good card hardware wise, but it was held back by driver support. No games took advantage of the rear channels. Sound quality was good, but driver stability caused issues. Random lockups in OS 9... But I also get random lockups with the Revolution as well. I'm 99% in OS X nowadays so it's pretty much the Revolution. I have 5.1 speakers and I can take advantage of them with the Revolution.
However, I still get occasional sound pops with the Revolution, particularly when watching a DVD.

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2003, 04:22 AM

The Sound Sticks are USB and therefore can't be used with the Revolution or Soundblaster. Sorry.

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

coolmac  (op)
Feb 16, 2003, 11:38 AM

Damn why not, will the Sound Sticks only go through the souund chip on the motherboard?
Can you recommend a great pair of speakers to use with the Revolutiion card?

coolmac  (op)
Feb 16, 2003, 11:42 AM

Oh, and one other question, if I attached an ipod to my Sound Stick speakers would the sound of the Sound Sticks attached directly to the ipod sound better than the Sound Sticks playing music directly from my Mac?

I'm not a gamer, I just want the best music possible from a pair of speakers, so if playing music from an ipod through the Sound Sticks would sound better I can go that route.

goldplata
Feb 17, 2003, 05:53 AM

So it seems that the Apple DVD Player doesn�t output 5.1 sound! Why?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2003, 02:13 AM

apple is stuborn

Forum Links
Forum Rules