Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Digital Audio G4 and audio out.

Digital Audio G4 and audio out.
AsahiToro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 12:34 PM

I have a DA G4 733 and am only getting sound from one speaker(left). I have my speakers(Monsoon MM1000's) hooked up into the mic input. Is the DA 733 not compatible in this type of setup? The plug is the same as the mic input. I'm awaiting a Revolution 7.1 but until then, I'd like to figure out if there is a problem with the built in audio input. Thanks for any advice.

Tinkerer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 19, 2003, 01:39 PM

I am not sure about the particular model you have, but Apple has a history of using non-standard 1/8-inch audio conectors. The length of the plug is different (longer, I think) than an ordinary plug. That means that the electrical connections of a standard plug (tip, ring and sleve) line up incorrectly with the conectors of the jack inside the Mac, and you end up with only one channel.

Something to look into anyway...

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 20, 2003, 01:58 AM

Originally posted by AsahiToro:
I have a DA G4 733 and am only getting sound from one speaker(left). I have my speakers(Monsoon MM1000's) hooked up into the mic input. Is the DA 733 not compatible in this type of setup? The plug is the same as the mic input. I'm awaiting a Revolution 7.1 but until then, I'd like to figure out if there is a problem with the built in audio input. Thanks for any advice.
on Digital Audio models, I'm fairly certain the port in the back that looks like the audio port is for the Apple Pro Speakers.. not compatible with typical external speaker setups..

Apple's idea was to have you use USB for your audio needs..

you can get the USB iMic fro Griffin Technology that has your typical audio 'in' port and connect your speakers through it

while you're at Griffin's website, check out the PowerMate.. I just got one.. it's badass

good luck

drew
ice

scottiB
Professional Poster
Feb 20, 2003, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by AsahiToro:
Not sure if this is mistyping, but you have the speakers plugged into the mic input? If so, try plugging them into the headphone jack.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2003, 11:46 AM

Your speakers will work when you plug them into the headphone jack. I had a G4 with Monsoon M700s and they worked fine. The audio in jack is just that; audio in.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

AsahiToro  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 20, 2003, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
Not sure if this is mistyping, but you have the speakers plugged into the mic input? If so, try plugging them into the headphone jack.
Yeah, sorry that was a typo. I meant the headphone jack. The plug for the mic is smaller so there's no way to make that mistake. I did double check though and noticed that the plug was not all the way in. After removing it, cleaning it off some, then seating it better, I got the speakers to work. It may have gotten dissconnected some by accident when I slid my tower back under my desk. It doesn't seem to have the same output volume as my older Sawtooth though. I went ahead and ordered an iMic anyways so I can have a few more input/output options later and to hopefully improve the sound quality some. I had ordered a Revolution 7.1 earlier but cancelled it. I want to wait and see how things pan out for it. I've read that the sound input quality on it isn't that great. Since I'm only concerned with 2.1, the iMic should give me all the flexibility I need and it's $65 less. Thanks again for all the input everyone.
( Last edited by AsahiToro; Feb 20, 2003 at 02:46 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules