Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Problem with Monitor or Mac OSX?

Problem with Monitor or Mac OSX?
:XI:
Mac Elite
May 15, 2003, 04:12 PM

Since yesterday my display has been acting strange. The horizontal size shrinks by a few pixels for a second then flicks back to normal. I don't know if it's the monitor (Iiyama VMPro 410) or OS X (10.2.3).

I've tried deguassing, turning the monitor off over night (I usually let it sleep with the Powermac (they're married! ok? )).

The thing that has me thinking it's OS X is that sometimes it appears only the center (a vertical column running the center of the screen) distorts.

Any ideas as to what it could be?

Anyone see anything like this before?

Is my monitor about to shuffle off its mortal cathode? (Could be just the excuse I need to buy a Cinema HD!)

Thanks in advance.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
May 16, 2003, 12:50 PM

The symptoms you describe are almost certainly a hardware problem. That is if i am understanding what you mean by "shrinks." I take it to mean the whole horizontal axis is contracting a little, and not that a few columns of pixels are disappearing (i.e. going blank). The latter would most likely be a software issue.

But you also speak of the center "distorting," so i think it's your monitor going bad. It could be the video on your computer, but given the symptoms you describe, i suspect this isn't the case. What i think it is, actually, is a capacitor inside your monitor going bad, or maybe some of its analog circuitry.

To determine whether it's the monitor or the video, if it's possible to swap monitors with another computer (or just connect it to a PowerBook with video-out), give it a try. If the problem moves from one computer to the other, you have your answer. If it stays put, it's likely your video "card." If i were to bet on what you've described, my money would be squarely on the monitor.

I should say that if it is the monitor, there is little harm in continuing to use the monitor, if you like, as it will not cause your computer to crash nor otherwise harm it. But it will be annoying. You might take the monitor in for a repair estimate, or if you prefer, use this as an excuse to buy that new display.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
May 16, 2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
Since yesterday my display has been acting strange. The horizontal size shrinks by a few pixels for a second then flicks back to normal. I don't know if it's the monitor (Iiyama VMPro 410) or OS X (10.2.3).
Sounds like a failing capacitor. If the capacitor can't hold its charge the result is exactly as you describe. Eventually the screen size will begin to shrink permanently, then will just pop off and not work anymore.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

:XI:  (op)
Mac Elite
May 16, 2003, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. Pleased to see you echoing my thoughts on the monitor (and not the powermac).

I'll try a different monitor connected to te mac and connect the suspect monitor to my pc and see what's what.

Mac Elite
May 20, 2003, 04:59 PM

Ok, I tried the old monitor, I got the Apple bootup screen (the one that used to be the happy mac) but all I get after that is a black screen.

After connecting the suspected faulty display, I wondered if I should have set the res to something the old display could handle. Myabe?

I tried zapping the pram, made no difference.

Also, since connecting everything back up, I haven't noticed it resize. :shrug:

I'll try again later.

Thanks.

btw, already started saving for the Cinema HD only another �1500 to go!

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2003, 06:43 PM

Usually, the OS will auto select a setting appropriate for the monitor, if the current setting isn't supported. But since you're seeing the Happy Mac screen, your thought that the setting may be the problem seems to be a reasonable one.

Regarding the resizing issue: Chances are it's just lying low for the time being. I'll expect it'll be back (assuming a capacitor or analog circuitry problem in the monitor).

SMacTech
Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 01:39 PM

I would agree with arckham_c. Your power supply for the high-voltage needed by the CRT is changing voltage, probably due to a electrolytic capacitor starting to fail. It could also be a cold solder joint finally showing its ugly head. Sometimes a good smack upside the head would fix a problem CRT like you have or totally render it useless. I always liked it when they finally quit, then I could order the person a new LCD, never having to hear them complain of the problem again.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2003, 02:15 PM

I always liked it when they finally quit, then I could order the person a new LCD, never having to hear them complain of the problem again.
...and hear them complain about dead pixels instead!

Mac Elite
May 21, 2003, 05:53 PM

The old crappy display (the one that works :shrug: ) is a very cheap thing, I'm not sure if it has any fancy stuff in it (like resolution detect stuff), all the adjusters are manual dials on the front.

The resizing has come back, but I can cope until I've got enough for a new display.

Not sure if I could stand OS X at 800*600 (1024*768 might be enough but at 67hz?)

Oh, yeah, I already tried whacking it in the side. No change.

If/When it dies (or I replace it) I'll get the soldering iron out and electrocute myself or maybe fix it for a while or even kill it for good.

Rainy Day
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2003, 09:42 PM

Well do take care. CRT cap's can hold quite a wallop, even a potentially lethal charge. Make sure you know what you're doing and don't get hurt. This site is a good reference for both safety and troubleshooting tips: Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ: Capacitor Testing, Safe Discharging and Other Related Information.

Oh, and by the way, your monitor isn't necessarily at death's door; it might run for years yet before giving up the ghost. The symptoms may get worse, or not. YMMV.

Mac Elite
May 22, 2003, 12:25 PM

Thanks for the link. I might see 25 yet!
It's also good to know that it probably isn't going to go in the next three months�

Forum Links
Forum Rules