Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB hub in home theater...best setup for audio & video?

PB hub in home theater...best setup for audio & video?
cambro
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 04:56 PM

I just got a place of my own and I have no stereo, no TV, no nothing, but I have a Ghz Ti book!

Here�s what I�m contemplating:

1. InFocus X1 projector as �TV� � about $950
2. Logitech Z680 Surround Sound Speakers � about $250
3. Sonica USB digital audio converter � about $60
4. PB to run it all (DVD player, Stereo, TV tuner?)�priceless

So for about $1300 I�m guessing I could get a pretty tight little home system, complete with a 70� widescreen TV. What I�m asking you MacNNers is this:

1. Any experiences with any of these products, good or bad?
2. Any suggestions as to how to maximize my bang for my buck?
3. Will the �wow� factor of this setup justify blowing $1200 or should I just go buy a mid-range TV, DVD player, and stereo?

Thoughts appreciated.

EDIT: Corrected speaker price as per 1st reply's suggestion!! There is hardware 5.1 decoding built into these speakers.
( Last edited by cambro; Oct 9, 2003 at 05:07 PM. )

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 9, 2003, 05:02 PM

Does the Sonica Hub require an amplifier with 5.1 decoding? I'm not sure, but I think I remember someone saying that all the Hub does is output 5.1. Will the Logitech speakers come with some sort of decoder (I can't see it happening for 150 dollars).

Otherwise, that would be sweet! Except you'd need a tuner to watch TV...

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

jetta_gt
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 05:09 PM

Be sure to read the reviews of the InFocus X1 at projectorcentral.com, some people suffer from a heightened sensitivity to rainbow artifacts, so you'll want to see this demoed in person... If you don't notice these artifacts, I'd say go for it, in fact I am considering the exact same setup!

dialo
Senior User
Oct 9, 2003, 05:59 PM

I would suggest not getting the X1. Last spring I bought a new projector and went through 3 before I aqctually found a good one.

The X1 had really bad rainbows. Supposedly there are some sanyos that have a higher DLP spin speed that eliminates them, but everyone that saw it at my house saw them and was annoyed by them. In short, if you have anyone over to watch a film, chances are someone is going to sit through hell, even if it doesn't bother you.

I also tried it's closest competitor, the Sanyo z1. It doesn't support native computer resolutions, so don't buy it. Some of them also have a problem, as mine did, where the fan goes on extremely loud periodically in quiet mode.

What I ended up getting was the proxima dp2000 from www.projectorpeople.com . Proximas are infocus' projectors with better warrantees. The contrast is not as good as on the other two, but I think it is just fine. The point is that the projector works like a normal projector.

I would suggest getting a projector from projector people or b&h because they are the only places you can return them. I got a dp2000 with a bad pixel and had to return it and get the one I now have. B&H tends to be overpriced, so compare the prices.

As for using your powerbook, I used my various powerbooks as projectors for years, but now I have a cheap $100 stand alone and am not looking back. With a stand alone it's always hoocked up, has surround sound and is sleek and out of the way.

Be warned, the dp2000 does not have component inputs (neither does the x1, IIRC). However, I still can't see a huge difference (if any) between DVDs through composite and DVDs through VGA (or component). Of course, normal computer graphics look like crap through composite, but for some reason DVDs don't look any different.

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 9, 2003, 06:19 PM

I think my big concern with this set up would be buying new bulbs for the projector. I remember, at my last job, we used a nice projector (maybe an infocus) for presentations and the bulbs cost alot of money and will definately burn out. So factor that into your pricing scheme. With a television, you don't have to worry about bulbs and you can buy a pretty nice tv for $950.

-b

Ti X
Forum Regular
Oct 9, 2003, 10:14 PM

But then you can't use your PowerBook for other things, it will be tied up as a TV.
15" AI PowerBook
17" PowerBook 1GB RAM
15" PowerBook 512MB RAM
700Mhz iBook

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 10, 2003, 12:06 AM

Excellent point, Ti X. One of the best things about having a Powerbook is being able to surf the web while watching TV. That's the life!

cambro  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 09:47 AM

You all offer very good points. Thank you!

Regarding the Rainbows on the X1, I have heard of these but I've never actually seen one of these projectors in action. This is definitely something to worry about.

I've been leaning towards a projector because it's more flexible, smaller and, when you don't want a big-ol tv in your room, you just put it away. I planned on having a screen that pulled down over a framed picture or something. Not having a TV staring at you all the time is a big plus in my mind. Not to mention the possibility of 70" widescreen!

Regarding watching TV...to be honest, regular TV was last on my list but it would be nice for football! I know that the X1 can take a cable signal directly, and it should be cheap to pick up a broadcast TV tuner to hook to the projector shouldn't it?

Anyway....thanks for the input...more is welcome!

dialo
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 11:27 AM

My DVD player has a cable input. I just use that to tune it and it works perfectly.

For watching films or playing video games, nothing beats the projector. There's just no comparison.

cambro  (op)
Senior User
Oct 10, 2003, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
I think my big concern with this set up would be buying new bulbs for the projector.
The InFocus X1 bulb half-life is 4000 hours. That's one big ol' pile of DVDs.

But you are certainly right. Bulbs for the X1, like all projectors, are not cheap....about $290.

Also thanks for the helpful comments dialo!!!

wanderlust
Forum Regular
Oct 10, 2003, 05:32 PM

If you wanted to really stay portable View Sonic has: "The mighty 2.2-lb. PJ250 projector puts powerful presentations at your fingertips with 1,000 lumens, XGA resolution and a high 2000:1 contrast ratio."

http://www.viewsonic.com/

Forum Links
Forum Rules