Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for Mac

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time for Mac
thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2004, 11:21 PM

Hey guys,

I searched for this on the forum, but couldn't find any info. Is Prince of Persia: Sands of Time coming to Mac?

I played it on my mates PC today, and although I'm not normally into gaming, I really dug this game. Anyone know what's the deal??

Thanks!

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 5, 2004, 11:42 PM

I haven't heard any news on this yet. But from my own experience playing this game, it's better suited to consoles anyway. If you have a Gamecube or Xbox just get a copy for that.

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 6, 2004, 12:01 PM

Oh, and you'll probably hear announcements at insidemacgames.com first while this forum is pretty dull.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2004, 06:01 AM

Bugger. That game was heaps of fun, I figured it was a good bet since Prince of Persia (original) was such a popular Mac game.

-Q-
Feb 9, 2004, 10:37 AM

Unfortunately, I've heard that it hasn't been selling all that well, even tho' it's looked amazing in all the previews I've seen. It might not be a big enough seller to make it to the mac....

CobraMantis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2004, 04:55 PM

Yep, great game, just hasn't been selling well for some reason (it's been getting great reviews and all, too...hmmm....), so, not sure about a Mac port.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 04:57 PM

Only downside to PoP:SoT is that for all of it's amazing graphics and nice fluid combo's and combat system, it is a very linear '2D' type game.

Still looks awesome.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

thePurpleGiant  (op)
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2004, 07:04 PM

Originally posted by Rev-O:
Only downside to PoP:SoT is that for all of it's amazing graphics and nice fluid combo's and combat system, it is a very linear '2D' type game.
True. But this is where some of the appeal lies IMHO. It's a 'tricky' game, but not frustratingly hard. I'm not a hardcore gamer, and I just don't have the time to play for hours and hours on some newer more complex games. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is a welcome change, a game that is fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2004, 09:07 PM

Still looks awesome.
It's also rather short, but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Feb 9, 2004, 11:36 PM

Still looks awesome.
That's great though...3D videocards ruined 2D games. Everyone tried to make their 2D games fit a 3D world and ended up destroying the essence of the game.

Prince of Persia should not be in a 3D world. The feel of the game was always best as a linear 2D game.

Don't believe me? Check out Prince of Persia 3D. Worst game ever.

I'm all for vidcards using their 3D muscles to produce 2D side-scrolling games of yore.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2004, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
True. But this is where some of the appeal lies IMHO. It's a 'tricky' game, but not frustratingly hard. I'm not a hardcore gamer, and I just don't have the time to play for hours and hours on some newer more complex games. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is a welcome change, a game that is fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.
Actually, that's more or less what I look for in games as well. Want something that's essentailly plug n' chug. Liked Indiana Jones, 'Cuz it was barely challenging. Pop it in and play for a spell. Eventually, you know you're gonna win. Same with Splinter Cell. Also loved Morrowind (shame it never showed up on the Mac). Massively open ended. Can play forever and you don't have to finish the game. As a matter of fact, after you "win", you can just keep playing.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Caesar2099
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2004, 05:34 PM

Having never played the original Prince of Persia (that's right i admit it) my judgement may not be as valid. But Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time is a great game.
With the perfect mix of puzzle-like adventure and cinematic fight sequences PoP:SoT makes for an amazing experience, and, if ported, is definately worth buying.

Also... I'm just curious but how does it play with a mouse and keyboard, well? or does it need a gamepad (i only played on the PS2, and it seemed to work well with the controller)

intastella
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2004, 02:31 AM

I don't think you could play it without a gamepad, it's just too "physical". Honestly I see less and less reason to even have games like this on a PC or Mac, just look at the kind of graphics and experience you get with a $99 Gamecube. There is no figuring out if your computer can run it, installing it, and then tweeking for performance. It is just plug and play.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 20, 2004, 09:19 PM

i just got this today for my xbox. just like mcdonalds, i'm loving it. (sorry, i could not resist).

i am a huge fan of the old school prince of persia and the sequel, but not pop3d. this new one is not ruined by the 3dness of it, but it is really really fun.

i do not think it would be fun with a keyboard at all.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Feb 20, 2004, 09:29 PM

Originally posted by intastella:
I don't think you could play it without a gamepad, it's just too "physical". Honestly I see less and less reason to even have games like this on a PC or Mac, just look at the kind of graphics and experience you get with a $99 Gamecube. There is no figuring out if your computer can run it, installing it, and then tweeking for performance. It is just plug and play.
I haven't played the new one, but I won the first two on the Mac using keyboard only. It wasn't that tough to grasp the controls.

Some games though (X Men, THPS2-4) are not really playable without a gamepad though, and this may be similar.
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

Forum Links
Forum Rules