Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just Got 17" Powerbook!!

Just Got 17" Powerbook!!
DakRT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 12:13 AM

I finally got my 17" Powerbook. It is super nice. I have a question for ya'll. Do you know the sleeve that is between the keyboard and screen when you first open up the powerbook? Is this necessary to use all the time? Someone told me (but they have a ti powerbook) that he uses the sleeve all the time so it doesn't mess up the screen. Is this a problem still?

Edward
DakRT

Mobile Mod
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 12:23 AM

Congrats on the new aquisition! I would recomend using the search feature when you have question like this, but since you just got a new mac ill be nice Anyways, if you want to you can. I have a 15 alpb and i dont use it, but then again i have radtech screensaverz. Some people always use that or a third party product and some dont. It was more of a problem in the Ti line, and they tried to make it better with the al series and I think they did.

Justin
AlPB 15" Rev. C (1.5GHz) | 30GB 5G Apple iPod Video | SE S710a

Apple Certified Portable Technician, Apple Certified Desktop Technician, Apple Certified Help Desk Agent

hldan
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2004, 03:01 AM

Originally posted by DakRT:
I finally got my 17" Powerbook. It is super nice. I have a question for ya'll. Do you know the sleeve that is between the keyboard and screen when you first open up the powerbook? Is this necessary to use all the time? Someone told me (but they have a ti powerbook) that he uses the sleeve all the time so it doesn't mess up the screen. Is this a problem still?

Edward
Congrats DakRT on the new 17"PB. I too have the new 17" 1.33Ghz and love it. You will love it more each day that you use it. It's quite a fast machine. On the new Aluminum Powerbook G4's the lid has a built-in spring loaded mechanism that when closed produces a gap that keeps the screen away from the keys on the keyboard thus protecting that gorgeous screen from any damage.
However I do use the Radtech screen protector between the screen and the keyboard during transportation when my Powerbook is inside my carrying sleeve.
When inside the sleeve it forces the screen gap to close tightly so the Radtech protector is very handy for this reason only. Otherwise there's really no need to keep anything between the screen and the keyboard.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

aricher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 07:22 AM

If you're headed over to RadTech you MUST buy some wildeeps - these are little rubber cushions that go on the inside edges of the PB - I bought them after my PB rubbed itself raw in my bag - the edges above the screen had black rub marks - applecare took care of this even though the "Genius" at the Apple store said it was a "cosmetic issue."

The wildeeps detract a bit form the overall totally clean look of the PB but you get used to it - better than having black rub marks. For some reason Apple built in spacers on the outer edges AND by the latch of the 15" - they only put them by the latch on the 17" - you'll notice some flex if you pick it up by the edges when closed - wildeeps fill these gaps.

Oh yeah - the RadTech cloth is a great microfiber material - if you wet it with a bit of water it cleans the screen better than anything else I have used.

You'll love your 17" PB - Every day is a joy on it!
Wherever you go... there you are.

striker100
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2004, 09:28 AM

Congrat's! You will love you're 17" Powerbook.
I actually still use the screen protector that came with mine, I also purchased one of the Radtech protectors.
I feel it's better to be safe than sorry, why chance it when it so easy to protect the screen?

runejoha
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2004, 10:56 AM

Hi, I really need a new laptop, but i really have problems to order a non 64 bit architecture! Why did you order now, just before the new model is excepted (the average lifetime for a powerbook is out of time). ??

runejoha

Originally posted by DakRT:

Edward
How can a boring thing such as a mac or a PC be so exciting??

DakRT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 11:07 AM

Well, I ordered now because I really needed a laptop. I know that the G5 powerbooks are in the making but that won't happen till later on this year and I could not wait that long. I am very happy with this powerbook. It has all the power i'll need.

Originally posted by runejoha:
Hi, I really need a new laptop, but i really have problems to order a non 64 bit architecture! Why did you order now, just before the new model is excepted (the average lifetime for a powerbook is out of time). ??

runejoha
DakRT

DakRT  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 1, 2004, 11:10 AM

Thanks... I'll check out the Radtech screen protector. I was wondering why there was a gap between the lid, but now that you mentioned it, it makes sense..

Originally posted by hldan:
Congrats DakRT on the new 17"PB. I too have the new 17" 1.33Ghz and love it. You will love it more each day that you use it. It's quite a fast machine. On the new Aluminum Powerbook G4's the lid has a built-in spring loaded mechanism that when closed produces a gap that keeps the screen away from the keys on the keyboard thus protecting that gorgeous screen from any damage.
However I do use the Radtech screen protector between the screen and the keyboard during transportation when my Powerbook is inside my carrying sleeve.
When inside the sleeve it forces the screen gap to close tightly so the Radtech protector is very handy for this reason only. Otherwise there's really no need to keep anything between the screen and the keyboard.
DakRT

hayesk
Mar 1, 2004, 12:33 PM

Originally posted by runejoha:
I bought a PB15" on the weekend. For this reason:
1. 64-bit CPU won't enable the PB to do anything more than an existing one. Why do you need 64 bits? Unless you are crunching some huge data the specifically needs it, there's no point in waiting.
2. A G5 PB won't be announced until months from now (maybe even next year).
3. When it is announced, there will be big demand and it'll take a few more months to actually get one in stock.

That adds up to waiting months (maybe a year). I'd rather have a PB now and actually work on it that sit and twiddle my thumbs waiting for a new one. If I find I actually need a 64-bit laptop (which I doubt), then I can sell my existing PB and buy a new PB G5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules