Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Optical Sound Output on G5 ... ?

Optical Sound Output on G5 ... ?
badtz
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2004, 07:13 AM

I was wondering ...

if the G5 was hooked up to a home theater system [5.1 speakers] via the optical wire .....

Would the normal system sounds be transmitted thru this also?

and if so, what channel does it output to? Is it stereo [2 channels]? Mono? Can you choose which channel it goes to?

thanks for any help

Oneota
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2004, 11:44 AM

I believe all sounds are output via the optical out, if the connection exists, yes.

At the moment, not much can actually output 5.1 sound - I think Apple's DVD player and maybe a game or two (or maybe it's just the upcoming "The Incredibles" game). Everything else is regular 2-channel stereo.

...but it'll be the darned best-sounding 2-channel audio you've ever heard!
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 12, 2004, 11:47 PM

Apple's DVD player will output AC3/DTS to your home theatre system (5.1 or higher, whatever is on the DVD)

Possibly other software if it can take advantage of it.

Normal system sounds and iTunes etc will output in 2-channel stereo. Your home theater system can probably simulate 5.1 if that's what you want. Look for Pro Logic II/IIx modes.

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 01:26 AM

Thanks! The basic purpose is just for DVD player output.

Ideally [since my 5.1 setup will use the 23-inch cinema display as the main monitor] I'm trying to get the stereo channel of the system sounds to output only to the middle channel [since that will be below the monitor] .......

I don't have the setup yet, so I'm unsure .....

Richyfp
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2004, 02:30 PM

Quicktime support for the 5.1 surround is due to be beefed up in Tiger, I believe. Quicktime player (from one of the Developer Preview screenshots) will have a new Sound Properties window which should allow routing of sound (anything from Mono to full 5.1) to different channels of the optical output.
PM G4 DP 500 MHz, 768 Mb, DVD-ROM, 85 Gb, Mac OS X 10.3.9
PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 Mb, DVD-R, 80 Gb, Mac OS X 10.4

badtz  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2004, 04:44 PM

Are system sounds routed thru quicktime?

[if so, does that mean it's possible for system sounds to be routed thru to a specific channel using digital output]

?

Richyfp
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 14, 2004, 07:19 AM

System sounds aren't played through Quicktime, but instead are played by the System Sound APIs which are part of CoreServices. A distinction is made between system sounds and all other audio and as such they can be played through different devices. These devices are set, however, in the Sound preferences pane rather than Quicktime preferences.

See this article for reference: http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2002/tn2102.html
PM G4 DP 500 MHz, 768 Mb, DVD-ROM, 85 Gb, Mac OS X 10.3.9
PB G4 1.25 GHz, 512 Mb, DVD-R, 80 Gb, Mac OS X 10.4

Forum Links
Forum Rules