Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Strange Sounds - 17" PowerBook

Strange Sounds - 17" PowerBook
Joshua
Mac Elite
Dec 17, 2004, 12:44 AM

I need some help/advice here. A few days ago I noticed a strange "whirrr-click" sound coming from my PowerBook. It seemed to come from somewhere near the left speaker, and it would repeat for 30-40 seconds and then stop. I didn't notice any change in performance, so I assumed it was just a gunked up fan or something.

Today, I had the same sound start up on two different occasions. The sound was the same, and in the same place, but this time the computer basically froze up for the 30-40 seconds of clicking. As soon as the sound stopped, the computer returned to normal.

Anyone know what kind of problem I'm looking at? If it's what I'm afraid it is (dying hard drive), how long do I have until it goes kaput?
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

danny_gasperini
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2004, 10:08 PM

The hard drive resides underneath the LHS palm rest - not far from the left speaker grill. Without hearing the noise it's difficult to guess, but it could be that the HD is on it's last legs. This would also explain why the computer "hangs" when hearing the noise as the OS tries to access the HD.

Forum Links
Forum Rules