Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac os question

Mac os question
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 08:55 PM

Can the Mac os, either the Panther or the upcoming Tiger, be put on a pc that was not made by Mac. I ask because I'm interested in using the os but I already have a desktop and a notebook, and on Apple's website they only include Mac computers in the requirements. Thanks for the help!
Clint
a.k.a. Chester

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2005, 09:21 PM

"Made by Apple", you mean. Apple is the company which makes Mac OS X.

At any rate, there are emulators available which can run Mac OS X (notably PearPC), but these solutions will be extremely slow and not really usable for very much.

There was, time, a Mac cloning business. I had a clone back then, actually. However, Apple very nearly died during that time as the clone sales cannibalized its business, and so it bought out the biggest cloner and shut the rest down.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 24, 2005, 09:37 PM

Long story short: No way, no how.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

1.7724  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 09:38 PM

Thats not exactly what I mean...if I get a new harddrive for my notebook, can I install the Mac os. Or is a compter made by Apple required. Thanks!
Clint
a.k.a. Chester

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 09:53 PM

Originally posted by 1.7724:
Thats not exactly what I mean...if I get a new harddrive for my notebook, can I install the Mac os. Or is a compter made by Apple required. Thanks!
You need a Mac to install OS X. Not only is it not possible to natively install OS X on a non-Macintosh computer, the Apple EULA prohibits it (to paraphrase the EULA "you can only install Mac OS X on an Apple-branded computer". So legally you're prohibited from installing it on a PC even if you could somehow which you can't).

And for those of you who don't care about legalities, well, you still can't install it on a PC.

Brass
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 10:05 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
And for those of you who don't care about legalities, well, you still can't install it on a PC.
I installed it on a PC under the Macintosh emulator PearPC, but as was said earlier, it was exceptionally slow.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jan 24, 2005, 10:09 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
I installed it on a PC under the Macintosh emulator PearPC, but as was said earlier, it was exceptionally slow.
I was referring to a native install; insert the disks and boot it up and install. No emulation.

1.7724  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 24, 2005, 11:23 PM

Thanks for the help.
Clint
a.k.a. Chester

Forum Links
Forum Rules