Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anybody getting good 23" ADCs??

Anybody getting good 23" ADCs??
Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2005, 11:20 PM

Alright... Apple's had a lot of time... does anyone know if the pink/gray/yellow discoloration issues with the 23" Cinema Displays has been resolved yet, or are they almost all still bad?

I'm in the market for a new display. I've got a 20" LCD now (1600x1200) but need something bigger - room for palettes, etc. The 1920x1200 23" is probably the sweet spot. There are the Sony and HP 23" displays too, so those are possibilities. The Dell 24" (when released next month) is also a possibility.

I can afford the 30", but I'm afraid it will be just too big.

If I had my choice, it'd be the Apple 23" (especially since I qualify for the edu discount pricing), but I wont buy one if people are still seeing the same discolored panels as before.

Hydra
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 12:33 AM

I got pretty lucky with mine when I got it the day they were released, no major pink cast and no dead pixels, more important IMHO because all the calibration in the world isn't gonna bring back the pixels back from the dead I always calibrate my displays right out of the box and was pretty happy it seemed to lack the pinkness and other things as I first looked at it. One of the OSX software updates, 10.3.7 maybe?, actually installed a new profile for the 23's and while I don't use it, it did seem much better than the original one OSX had when the AL 23's first shipped. I do wonder if the panels in question were being baked at 100% brightness and causing color problems. I leave mine around 50% as these things are seriously bright and noticed if the panel is on for extended periods at maximum brightness they get very warm, some would even say hot. I am not making an excuse for Apple as the displays should be capable of running 100% brightness and have no problems, just that it isn't an issue for me and I always wondered about the ventless design of the new displays.

I love my 23" but that new Dell 24" would be awfully tempting if I were buying today and with the money saved you could get a X800 or GF6800 U

-Jerry C.
( Last edited by Hydra; Feb 17, 2005 at 12:39 AM. )

Hydra
Senior User
Feb 17, 2005, 12:34 AM

oops double post-

fishguy
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 21, 2005, 02:35 PM

Perfect 23" ACD for about 4 months now.

ghostgrrl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2005, 09:52 AM

Since it's been a couple of months since this thread had been started, I was hoping that there may be more users out there that have purchased the 23" ACD and that could report back as to whether this issue is still indeed an issue. And for someone out there who had the misfortune of actually ending up with the discoloration problem, is this something that Apple will allow you to return/exchange without much of a hassle?

Cadaver, did you ever take the plunge and purchase this display? If so, how do you like it?
12" PowerBook 1.5gHz/100gb hd/SD/1.25 gb RAM

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 25, 2005, 11:04 AM

I've got 2 23" ACDs at work and both of them have no flaws.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Cadaver  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by ghostgrrl
Since it's been a couple of months since this thread had been started, I was hoping that there may be more users out there that have purchased the 23" ACD and that could report back as to whether this issue is still indeed an issue. And for someone out there who had the misfortune of actually ending up with the discoloration problem, is this something that Apple will allow you to return/exchange without much of a hassle?

Cadaver, did you ever take the plunge and purchase this display? If so, how do you like it?
I bought two Dell 2001FPs instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules