Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Disappearing Letter "A"

Disappearing Letter "A"
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2005, 03:45 PM

I tried searching this forum, but for some reason I didn't find anything even though I recall reading about this problem somewhere... I probably didn't use the right keyword.

The letter "A" is starting to rub-off after about six months of use. Can someone tell me how Apple is handling this problem? Can individual keys be replaced or does it require sending the iBook to Apple? I just got it back after an optical drive replacement so I am not to keen about sending it off again...

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 4, 2005, 11:17 PM

Apple will consider it a "cosmetic issue" not covered under warranty, and Apple only replaces entire keyboards, at substantial cost. But you will find, if you do a google search, several websites that sell individual keycaps for iBooks and PowerBooks.

tooki

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2005, 12:27 PM

Thanks for the info Tooki. I'll do a search at Google and see what turns up...

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 07:09 PM

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...t=disappearing

i just searched for 'disappearing'... you used the same keyword in your own post o_O

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 07:18 PM

I didn't think of using the word "disappearing."

I now notice that the "E" key is also wearing off...

It's pathetic...

Sean Alter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 6, 2005, 07:39 PM

I got a iskin for mine when I first got my ibook in March. It works great and also keeps oils and dirst from the keyboard that could turn into an abrasive. WHen the iskin does get dirty I just use soup and water, let it dry and it looks new again, ,ine was $20.00 and well worth it.

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 09:07 PM

I just use soup and water
What kind of soup? Tomato? Chicken noodle? Cream of mushroom?

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 6, 2005, 11:08 PM

like i said in the other thread, i'm on my third keyboard now. but this one has held up the best so far. absolutely no problems yet. but i think overall i got a total lemon of an ibook.. bad keyboard (2x), bad RAM, bad HD. POS :-[

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

oflorey87
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2005, 01:52 PM

One of my friends recently dropped his iPod on my 12" Powerbook from a great height. It smashed the 'e' key right off and there was no way to get it back on so I went to the Apple store, told them what happened and they whacked out one of their spare keyboards. The technician removed a key from their keyboard and popped it on mine, free of charge. It might be worth taking it in and asking if they've got any spare key caps.

Kelvin
Jun 8, 2005, 09:36 AM

I had some letters coming off. I took it to the Apple store where I purchased it. They looked for some spare keys and when they couldn't find any they ordered a new keyboard. I purchased an iSkin and so far it's protecting the keyboard fine. This is my 2nd iBook. The first was purchased early June 2004. Within a few weeks I noticed it wobbled on the table. Apple replaced it with a new iBook, my current one. After 6 months it developed a bad ethernet port. Apple replaced the logic board. Then the keyboard noted above. I think I'll be purchasing Applecare before June 22 when my 1 year warranty runs out.

Kelvin

Hi I'm Ben
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2005, 09:59 AM

Six months old? Just call them and tell them one of your keys is faulty. They'll next day you a new keyboard.

Okay so maybe it's not the most ethical answer.

But it will work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules