Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" Case Bending

17" Case Bending
BigBadWolf
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2005, 11:46 AM

I have an older 17" 1GHz powerbook. The problem is, I actually use it as a laptop. And for some reason, when it rests on my lap, the case is bending. This causes the drive to not properly eject disks (usually takes 3-4 times). I am wondering if anyone else has this problem, and what have you done to alleviate it.

Dave Hagan
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 30, 2005, 12:19 PM

Wow. I have a 17" 1.5GHz PowerBook. When I carry it open sometimes, say from one table to another, I feel like it flexes/sags in the middle. I thought it was just me.
Dave Hagan | Apple Certified Technical Coordinator | iMac G5 1.9GHz | PowerBook G4 1.5GHz | Power Mac G4 933 MHz

mnemons
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2005, 12:53 PM

If you have AppleCare, I think you should give them a call, even you do not intent to send in your PB for repair. My 15" PB had the same problem and, of course, white spots as well. When I sent my PB to fix the white spots on my monitor for the 3rd time (8 months after last repair), AppleCare at first declined to cover my repair because they believed that I have abused my PB. The reason is the bending of PB case led them to assume that I have opened my PB improperly. (I never open my PB, and I take extra care of my PB, such as protective sleeve, and screen proctector.) After hours of waiting on the phone and hours of talking with Customer Relation Representative, finally AppleCare agreed to this "exceptional one-time only" repair. (Although I do not agree with "this exceptional" repair, my PB is getting a new monitor and bottom case.) The representative told me, next time, I should call them whenever there is a tiny problem (bending or pitting) and ask for case number for record.
( Last edited by mnemons; Jun 30, 2005 at 01:00 PM. )
Life is too important to be taken seriously -Oscar Wilde

BigBadWolf  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2005, 12:58 PM

I actually have already sent my computer in once when the drive became completely inoperable. I do have Apple Care, so the replaced the drive. But, I am really wondering if there are any preventative measures?

d.fine
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2005, 09:05 AM

I always use a hard surface under the PB, to prevent this kind of thing. You could use something like the iLap looks nice and all. Haven't tried it myself. I use an old glass plate, or anyting that's rigid.

stuffing feathers up your b*tt doesn't make you a chicken.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2005, 10:27 PM

---
( Last edited by RayX; May 20, 2006 at 06:17 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules