Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > To upgrade new iBook or not to upgrade? Help!

To upgrade new iBook or not to upgrade? Help!
melmic113
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2005, 12:00 PM

Now that the new iBooks are here (yippee!), I am faced with the seemingly endless upgrade options. I do standard word processing, email, web surfing, chatting, basic web design and imaging (nothing crazy.) I have decided on the 12" iBook since it suits all my needs, but with all this talk about upgrading this and that, it's left me feeling quite confused.

Is the iBook straight from the box sufficient to handle all my needs? Do I NEED to upgrade the RAM right away, or will 512mb work for me? Do I NEED a bigger HD than 40gb? Besides whatever comes pre-installed, the only programs I would be loading would be MS Office, Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10 and Macromedia Studio MX, all of which were previously installed on my old 300mhz G3 blueberry clamshell, which only had a 4gb HD and 64mb RAM and ran fine.

Oh okay, and maybe a couple games. But nothing huge.

I use my desktop PC for multimedia (MP3s and pictures), so with the exception of my favorite songs or pictures, those will remain on my PC.

I don't want to end up spending $200 more than the stock price if I really don't have to, but it's so easy to get caught up in the "upgrading frenzy."

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

~Melissa
~*~*~*~*~
[FONT=tahoma]G4 iBook / 1.33ghz / 40gb HD / 512mb RAM ~~ iPod 20gb[/FONT]

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2005, 12:03 PM

Yes, you would need more ram to handle some of those apps, such as the design ones. The hard drive is also going to fill up quickly, especially if you add any music or photos.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

melmic113  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Yes, you would need more ram to handle some of those apps, such as the design ones. The hard drive is also going to fill up quickly, especially if you add any music or photos.
Question....if the apps previously ran fine with the 64mb of RAM on my clamshell, why wouldn't they run the same (if not better) with 512mb of RAM on the new iBook? I'm sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself, but I'm just really confused.

Thanks!
~Melissa
~*~*~*~*~

Dave N
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 29, 2005, 01:20 PM

If you buy from one of the 3rd party online Mac retailers, they will usually throw in a free ram upgrade. I've bought a couple of Macs from macconnection.com and have been satisfied with their service. Another advantage is that you don't pay any sales tax, unless you live in the same state as the online retailer. The online Apple Store charges sales tax regardless.

senon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 29, 2005, 04:09 PM

If you don't use these applications such as photoshop, illustrator, and macromedia suits heavily, 512Mb would be fine. I think that you can decide to upgrade ram later after you use for a while.
This year, the price of ram would decrease.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 29, 2005, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by melmic113
Question....if the apps previously ran fine with the 64mb of RAM on my clamshell, why wouldn't they run the same (if not better) with 512mb of RAM on the new iBook? I'm sorry if I sound like I'm repeating myself, but I'm just really confused.
Are you running OS9? OSX is more ram-hungry, especially if you opt for updating any design programs. For something like Photoshop, I give it 90% of my 1.5GB so I can get the job done when I want and in a reasonable amount of time.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

iDaver
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 29, 2005, 11:58 PM

For what it's worth, I bought a Mac mini in January with 512MB and within a week, ordered and installed a 1GB stick instead. (What a waste it was to order the mini built to order with 512.) It sounds like you have about the same usage and demands that I do. If you don't mind quitting applications frequently, you can get away with 512MB but everything seems so much smoother with more.

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 30, 2005, 11:47 PM

I just upgraded from a 12" G3 iBook 800MHz w/640Mb RAM to the 12" G4 iBook 1.3GHz w/512Mb RAM. This computer is fast and 512Mb memory is very fine. I would recommend getting the iBook as it comes and upgrade its memory later if you feel it's necessary.

I use Office v.x, Photoshop CS, and surf the net/check e-mail. It all runs really well on the iBook.

-Mike
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

nJm
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 31, 2005, 12:10 AM

I use an iBook 1ghz with 512mb of ram and find it adequate for my normal usage, however the other day I think I overwhelmed it. I had it connected to an external monitor and was watching a DVD on that while surfing the net, chatting on MSN and burning a CD in iTunes on the iBook's screen. It resulted in the DVD playback slowing to a few frames a second with choppy sound.

(oh I have an external DVD burner which is why I was able to watch a DVD and burn a CD at the same time).
MBP 2.16ghz 15"
iMac G5 1.6Ghz 17"
Powermac 7200/120

irockdabari
Forum Regular
Jul 31, 2005, 12:52 PM

I was in the same position you are now, melissa. i was making myself get only what I needed out of an iBook. Unfortunately, I regretted that decision, because I didn't get what I would be happy with. Don't get me wrong, my iBook is a great computer, but I really should have gone for what I would be happy with. Add that to your decision making.
iMac G4 800Mhz 256 MB, 12" iBook G4 1.0 Ghz 768 MB, 12" PowerBook G4, 1.5 Ghz, 1.25 GB RAM

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 31, 2005, 09:38 PM

I think if you keep the design apps to a minimum (or if you are an amateur like most) it will be fine. I agree, a RAM bump would help.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2005, 12:57 AM

40gb is not a l lot, but will be large enough for your big apps and files after you either a) manually delete the bloat that apple has started installing at the factory, or b) custom perform an erase and install of the OS. seriously, you can drop over 5gb with a custom install.

for the RAM, listen to randman and the others.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

melmic113  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
40gb is not a l lot, but will be large enough for your big apps and files after you either a) manually delete the bloat that apple has started installing at the factory, or b) custom perform an erase and install of the OS. seriously, you can drop over 5gb with a custom install.

for the RAM, listen to randman and the others.
Last night I reinstalled the OS and went from 26 gb of free space to 34gb! After removing all the extra languages and programs I knew I wouldn't be using (at least right now), it freed up so much room. Thanks for the advice!

~Melissa

PS - After installing Photoshop and Studio MX, I still have around 33gb of space left, so I'm very happy! Everything seems to be loading quickly and running smoothly. Anyone know how much space the classic OS takes up?
~*~*~*~*~

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2005, 01:28 PM

sounds great, melissa. by keeping my audio / video on an external drive and just using my internal for docs, pics and apps even this 30gb drive feels generous. i don't know how much classic uses up, but unless you specifically need to run legacy apps why install it at all?

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

melmic113  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ji Eun
sounds great, melissa. by keeping my audio / video on an external drive and just using my internal for docs, pics and apps even this 30gb drive feels generous. i don't know how much classic uses up, but unless you specifically need to run legacy apps why install it at all?
I tried to install The Sims (the original, not Sims 2) and it kept looking for OS 9 system information. It would not allow me to continue with the installation because it could not find the OS9 system folder.

Can I install and run The Sims on OSX?

Thanks!
~Melissa
~*~*~*~*~

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Aug 2, 2005, 02:28 PM

I agree that 40GB is not a ton of space. I'm at day 3 with this monster and I'm already down to 20GB. I haven't cleaned off all the languages, but that's what's next.

On the flip side, I think it will force me to keep this system clean (I'm not trying to make that sound like an advantage... just my personal reality).

Richard.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 3, 2005, 01:07 AM

I tried to install The Sims (the original, not Sims 2) and it kept looking for OS 9 system information. It would not allow me to continue with the installation because it could not find the OS9 system folder.

Thanks!
~Melissa
well that seems to be an OS 9 game. do you really want to install an entire second OS just to play an old game? well, you certainly can afford the space now. it can't be more than a gig or two to install OS 9 + The Sims. just seems a bit nutty to me, not being a Sims fan

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

mikemako
Senior User
Aug 8, 2005, 12:31 AM

Yes, but if you have an old Sims install disc, it will try to use classic to install it. At the Apple Store, there is something called "The Sims Party Pack" for $49 that will work. It installs The Sims, Livin' Large, House Party, and Hot Date! I just bought it for my iBook a couple days ago and it's just drag & drop installation in OS X.

Mike
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

OreoCookie
Aug 8, 2005, 04:09 AM

Any iBook will suffice your needs including photos and music.

I would suggest you up the RAM to 1 GB and purchase Apple Care (!!) as your upgrade cycles seem to be very long. Obviously, you would have to buy new versions of many apps as well if you still happen to run OS 9. Photoshop and Illustrator will run fine however.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2005, 01:10 PM

Do I NEED a bigger HD than 40gb?
40GB isn't very big, especially if you load alot into iTunes and/or iPhoto.

One thing to keep in mind is that the hard drive options from Apple for the iBook are only 4200 rpm. (Apple uses 5400 rpm drives for the PowerBook line) Apple charges $200 to upgrade from a 40GB to a 100GB drive (4200 rpm). You can buy a Seagate 100GB 5400 rpm drive from NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, etc. for under $180, and either sell the stock 40GB drive, or pop it into an external case for extra storage space or archiving.

iBorg

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by iBorg
You can buy a Seagate 100GB 5400 rpm drive from NewEgg, ZipZoomFly, etc. for under $180, and either sell the stock 40GB drive, or pop it into an external case for extra storage space or archiving.
Won't that void the Apple warrenty of the entire iBook?
A process known as distributed computing helped map the human genome.

Now it's being used to find cures for cancer, ALS, alzheimer's and other diseases.

You can help by running a piece of software in the background. It's easy, free, and fun!

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2005, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Forbodium
Won't that void the Apple warrenty of the entire iBook?
Well, you could always CTO your iBook through the Apple Store.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by andretan
Well, you could always CTO your iBook through the Apple Store.
Does "CTO" mean I can get Apple to install any compatible HD that I provide them? And if so, do I have to send my iBook away, or does "CTO" work with any Authorized Apple Service rep? And does it cost anything?

Now it's being used to find cures for cancer, ALS, alzheimer's and other diseases.

You can help by running a piece of software in the background. It's easy, free, and fun!

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 12:51 AM

Does "CTO" mean I can get Apple to install any compatible HD that I provide them? And if so, do I have to send my iBook away, or does "CTO" work with any Authorized Apple Service rep? And does it cost anything?
Sorry, my bad. It's BTO - Build to Order.

When you choose the iBook from the Apple Store, they allow you to customize a few things, for now, it's namely the RAM and the Harddrive. And it's at a premium.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 01:25 AM

Sorry, my bad. It's BTO - Build to Order.

When you choose the iBook from the Apple Store, they allow you to customize a few things, for now, it's namely the RAM and the Harddrive. And it's at a premium.
OK, but the HDs that Apple offers for Build-to-Order are slower than the 5400 rpm ones that Mr.iBorg suggested. There used to be a general concensus that any HD slower than 5400 rpm was not fast enough for video editing, even when using firewire. However, I don't know how accurate that is/was.

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 10, 2005, 01:31 AM

OK, but the HDs that Apple offers for Build-to-Order are slower than the 5400 rpm ones that Mr.iBorg suggested. There used to be a general concensus that any HD slower than 5400 rpm was not fast enough for video editing, even when using firewire. However, I don't know how accurate that is/was.
The OP (Original Poster) didn't say the iBook was for doing video editing and processor intensive stuff like that.

But if you're looking to do such jobs, I think most people here would advise you to look at the PowerMacs or Powerbooks instead.

As always, on a laptop, the higher the RPM on the laptop, the more power it will use up, which would probably equate to less minutes from your battery (unless you're plugged-in).

volcano
Senior User
Aug 10, 2005, 02:19 AM

Just a note - the retail stores will only upgrade a few things (like RAM), but they will not install different or upgraded hard-drives.

I went to the Apple store today with the intention of buying a stock iBook 12" - but since they were out of the printer I wanted (that I would get $100 off on), I ended up ordering the whole package (printer, iPod mini, iBook) straight from the Apple store. Since I had to have it shipped - I ended up upgrading my hard-drive from 40GB to 60GB for a mere $45. Now I just have to wait until my packages arrive at my door! Argh!

Forbodium
Forum Regular
Aug 10, 2005, 05:03 PM

The OP (Original Poster) didn't say the iBook was for doing video editing and processor intensive stuff like that.

But if you're looking to do such jobs, I think most people here would advise you to look at the PowerMacs or Powerbooks instead.

As always, on a laptop, the higher the RPM on the laptop, the more power it will use up, which would probably equate to less minutes from your battery (unless you're plugged-in).
You're right. Sorry about that, musta confused this topic with another one.

However, my original question was, if an iBook owner upgrades the HD themself, does that not void the warrenty on the entire iBook? Which I'm still wondering, because it would otherwise be an easy way to pump the performance up a few notches.

Forum Links
Forum Rules