Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > How to see all machines connected to base station?

How to see all machines connected to base station?
just_switched
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 12:20 PM

In all other routers, there would be a tab to see all the machines and their local IPs connected to them. But in AEBS, I dont see any such thing. For instance, my desktop is hardwired and my laptop is wirelessly. In one of the tools (Airport Management Utility or Airport Administrative ....), I couldnt see these machines connected. I asked this question in another forum but the response was "why do you need to see them?". It could be for various reasons - like limiting the access to the router based on MAC id or setting VPN etc. I am sure Apple thought about it but looks like I am missing something here.

Thanks

Mahesh

gradient
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2005, 02:49 PM

I had a similar complaint about my linksys router.

just_switched  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by gradient
I had a similar complaint about my linksys router.

Linksys router has a page to list all devices connected. I used Linksys WRT54GC until few days back. I think it is under Advanced or Status under a tab "DHCP Clients".

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 25, 2005, 03:44 PM

That's not the same thing. A DHCP client list shows all clients whose IP leases haven't expired -- even if that client is no longer connected. It cannot be taken as a "live" snapshot.

tooki

just_switched  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2005, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
That's not the same thing. A DHCP client list shows all clients whose IP leases haven't expired -- even if that client is no longer connected. It cannot be taken as a "live" snapshot.

tooki
Okay I finally found someone who had 9000+ posts!!! How do I see list of all machines connected to Airport Extreme Base STation? What tool would show and in what tab?

Here is the problem:

I am connecting two machines hard-wired to a hub which is connected to AEBS. One machine works just fine and the other one is not. I dont know where the problem is. When I do a "ipconfig" - it is a windows machine - I see 10.0.1.4 but couldnt get on to internet. The other machine that connects fine has 10.0.1.2 and in fact I am running http server on it and life is good.

I dont know how I can troubleshoot this.

Please help

Thanks

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Oct 26, 2005, 04:44 PM

Well, the fact that the Windows machine has a 10.x.x.x IP address means that it has successfully communicated with the base station.

I think you need to diagnose whether:

1) You can still ping the base station (10.0.1.1).
2) Whether you can ping any hosts on the Internet via IP address
3) Whether you can resolve any DNS requests.

My hunch is that #2 will succeed, while #3 will fail. If that is the case, add your DNS server address to the Windows machine manually -- how I can't tell you, I'm not a Windows guy.

Also, since you say you're running a web server on 10.0.1.2 -- can you access it from the PC?

Something I've noticed on PCs is that networking sometimes just borks itself (to use the technical term). A common fix is to go into the network configuration, delete all the network connections, and then reboot so that Windows autodetects the network card and adds it again. Sometimes this unclogs the Windows plumbing and makes things work again.

tooki

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 26, 2005, 05:07 PM

The DNS server settings are under the TCP/IP protocol settings for the network adapter in question -right click on "My Network Places" and select Properties to bring up all available adapters, open the adapter in question and double click on the TCP/IP protocol. If using DHCP, the client Windows computer should receive the appropriate DNS addresses along with the IP address, so there may be something odd going on here. At a minimum I'd do a reset on the router and then once the router is finished booting do "ipconfig /release" followed by "ipconfig /renew" to get fresh data for the Windows machine.

And tooki is spot on; Windows networking indeed borks itself from time to time. I think it has something to do with the phase of the moon, but that's undocumented .

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macanon
Oct 26, 2005, 09:31 PM

In general, ghporter has it totally spot on. Windows networking does indeed bork itself from time to time, especially when dealing with airport networks.

the release/renew should do the trick
What about nbtstat? doesn't that do something similar? my windows dos commands are foggy.

Forum Links
Forum Rules