Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > travel charger / international

travel charger / international
reemas
Senior User
Feb 14, 2006, 12:17 AM

I'll be going on a 2 week trip to India. I'm taking my ipod video 30gb. I want to get a charger, but i'm not sure which one. problem is I know they use a different socket than here in the U.S. and I think a different voltage.

What should I do so I can safely charge my ipod's batteries and other delicate eletrical equipment?

anarchi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 15, 2006, 08:09 AM

Apple's chargers are all multivoltage -- and you can get the plug adapter kit, which covers most of the world. An alternative is to use a car charger. The 12v cigar lighter plug is about the only truly international electrical supply in existence.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 15, 2006, 09:45 AM

I figured this bit out when we got our iBook. The plug part of the power adapter comes off-and can be replaced by plugs for any other standard, assuming Apple makes the correct plug-if it's for India, I'll bet they do.

The power standard in India is 230VAC at 50Hz (which iPod AC adapters should handle fine) with the same kind of plugs used in Denmark, Germany, etc. OR the kind used in Hong Kong. For that reason, a "universal plug set" is useful. Look here for some good info. Basically I see you needing the two-prong version and perhaps using an adapter for the other type of outlet.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2006, 08:38 PM

I went to Paris for a week and I strongly suggest against getting the international kit for just the iPod... Get an adapter like the others are mentioning here... APC makes the best one (IMO) because it is slim and works for all configurations worldwide.

It's only about $25 depending on where you get it, AND you can use it with MOST of your eletronic gear. Not all, check w/your manufacturer... Have a Sony digicam? Take pics, charge that w/your new adapter. Have an iPod's regular brick?

Use that to charge here and abroad, just get that adapter to change the prong config and you're good. FWIW the above plus the photo adapter for the iPod is what I used to take a crap load of pics while easily transferring all of my shots to the iPod when the mem card got full.

Rey

Forum Links
Forum Rules