Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > headphone recommendations needed

headphone recommendations needed
onlykaria
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2006, 01:07 AM

me needy new headphones....

the free apple headphones are fine for commuting, but want to learn to play the piano, and need headphones, plus i dont like how the white phones are a give away... makes me uncomfortable...

i was thinking about the shure head phones, but by all accounts if you cant afford the $500 ones, the rest are not worth it and you can get similar or better sound for much cheaper...

i dont listen to that much bass, but have a fairly good ear, i dont really mind headphones that go in your ear, but i would rather an assurance that they wont stuck there as many reviewer have reported happening with shure headphones on amazon dot com...

anyway got recommendations???
Computers:
Macbook Pro: 17in, 2.16Ghz, 120GB HD, 1.5 GB ram.
iBook G4: 1.07Ghz, 60GB HD, 756mb ram (on sale for parts)

explosivpotato
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 10, 2006, 03:32 AM

I have the shure e2c's, and I love them. theyre not the best, by far, but definately worth the sub 100$ price tag. Very clear, extremely crisp sound. puts the ipod headphones to shame.
17" lo-res 1.67GHz alubook,
100gig 5400rpm hdd, 1gig ram, soon to be 1.5 when my funds are up to par.

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2006, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by explosivpotato
I have the shure e2c's, and I love them. theyre not the best, by far, but definately worth the sub 100$ price tag. Very clear, extremely crisp sound. puts the ipod headphones to shame.
hmmm ok.. i was thinking about the e3c but heard very bad things about them
Computers:

Nuks
Apr 10, 2006, 07:37 AM

I've got the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro's, and I love them. They've got more bass than the Shure's but I've never thought of it as "too much." I put my iPod's vocal booster EQ on, and they sound great. Really involving, really fun.

onlykaria  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2006, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Nuks
I've got the Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 pro's, and I love them. They've got more bass than the Shure's but I've never thought of it as "too much." I put my iPod's vocal booster EQ on, and they sound great. Really involving, really fun.
those do seem really nice but i was amming to spend less than 179$ do they offer an alternative
Computers:

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 10, 2006, 03:18 PM

i use the shure e3c head phones and the only thing that most people do not like is that if they dont point them correctly in the ear than the bass is weak. i use the e3cs with the yellow foam pieces that come with it because these offer the best sound canceling. anyways, you can't go wrong with the e3cs. i've tried the e5cs e4cs, and there really ISNT that much differance in sound quality between the 5cs and the 3cs for the money, the shure e3cs can't be beat, well unless shure drops the e5cs to the price of the e3cs.

Charles Bouldin
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 13, 2006, 02:36 PM

I suggest Etymotic ER-6i. These are "canal phones", which go in your ears like earplugs. They are at least as noise isolating as the Boss anti-sounds phones, and I think they sound better. Usually on sale somewhere for under $100, sometimes as low as $80. MUCH better than the stock earbuds, and these things were engineered to work well with iPods. You do have to get used to having the phones literally in your ears, but most people make that adjustment. Wonderful on airplanes, but marginally unsafe in urban environments since you are totally isolated from the sound of the world.

lilford
Apr 13, 2006, 05:21 PM

I heard that Koss headphones are pretty decent quality too.

F*ckDell
Banned
Apr 13, 2006, 09:59 PM

Koss headphones... good choice...

I went to my local Boarders Book Store near my college and found this nice Koss head set. If you've ever used ear plugs when around loud equipment you'll understand how these work. They come with these foam plugs that you roll between your 2 figgers and stick in your ear. They foam expands to a snug fit. I use them all the time at the gym and I have no problem with them falling out. Great bass also for someone that mainly listens to that "rap carp".

FeLiZeCaT
Senior User
Apr 13, 2006, 10:36 PM

You can have some nice recommendations here. But warned: your wallet may not survive!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going flat-out, than some people in their lifetime

- Burt

waxcrash
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2006, 11:49 PM

Another Shure e3c owner here. Awesome sound quality. Took me about a week before I finally found the right fit and how to place them properly in my ears. They are monitors, so the sound is flat and accurate. You'll hear things in songs you wouldn't normally hear with cheaper headphones. They are great at isolating the sounds around you so you don't have to turn up the volume. I don't have to turn up the volume past 10%, which is great for battery life on my iPod. However, if you walk or chew gum with them on, you'll be disappointed.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Apr 14, 2006, 06:44 PM

Another e2c owner here... I love these headphones! They aren't the cheapest, they aren't the most expensive, but man do they sound good for in ear phones. Proper fit is the key, maybe buy 'em from Best Buy or someplace w/a good return policy just in case.

Rey :)

Forum Links
Forum Rules