Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Anyway to put chapter markers in an mp4?

Anyway to put chapter markers in an mp4?
harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2006, 09:12 AM

Does anyone know of an app that will let me put chapter markers in an mp4 file. I have started to rip my DVD collection to my iMacs hard drive using Handbrake, so I can easily access them all through front row, and its all going well, except obviously the chapter markers don't stay in the mp4 markers.

This is fine for most DVDs, but I have a few music DVDs, and it would be nice to be able to easily skip from song to song.

Anyone got any knowledge on how to do this?

Cheers
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Gavin
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2006, 10:02 AM

this is a tutorial about rolling your own
http://www.voxmedia.org/wiki/PodcastChapterTool

for DVD related stuff also check out the handbrake forums http://handbrake.m0k.org/
You can take the dude out of So Cal, but you can't take the dude outta the dude, dude!

qnxde
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 17, 2006, 11:00 AM

I'm not sure chapters are valid in a .mp4. I've done it before accidently (using metadata hootenany) and it rendered the file unplayable, and unrepairable (and i tried _everything_).

You can't eat all those hamburgers, you hear me you ridiculous man?

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2006, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by qnxde
I'm not sure chapters are valid in a .mp4. I've done it before accidently (using metadata hootenany) and it rendered the file unplayable, and unrepairable (and i tried _everything_).
It should have just made mov files (that were playable). Can you tell me what you tried plaease?

andgarden
Apr 17, 2006, 01:12 PM

IIRC, the QT file format (.mov), which MP4 is supposedly based on, has always supported chapter marks. Whether or not that ability was carried over to MP4, I don't know.

Uncle Skeleton
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 12:01 PM

Well mp4 has capacity for (effectively) unlimited metadata, and chapters could certainly be considered metadata. Certain windows apps have agreed on a make-shift chapter format between themselves, and simply add the chapter list as text metadata. The real issue is that there is no "official" agreement on what metadata in a file is "chapters" vs simply a privately concocted list of arbitrary text, and so it's very unlikely that QT will treat it as chapters. I don't think this practice is even common enough yet (if ever) for the open source projects to care about it. I've certainly never seen an mp4 file with these chapters in them.

But the mov version of chapters (a text track with another track as "owner") was not transferred to mp4, that I know of.

Forum Links
Forum Rules