Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Love my new mini mac today!

Love my new mini mac today!
VisorMan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 09:08 PM

my old imac G4

my new 2006 mini mac core duo/1.66GHZwith 20 inch apple cinema display screen!

MacOS-Fan
Forum Regular
Apr 18, 2006, 09:53 PM

Congrats! That is a very nice setup. I wish that I had an ACD

P.S.
I had one of those G4 iMacs also, they're great aren't they?
20" iMac (Intel CoreDuo)
- 2 GB's of RAM
- Logitech X530 Sound System

VisorMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2006, 10:35 PM

Thanks bud

It was so easy transferring files from my old mac to new mac

i was worried I may lose some stuff but they are all here!

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2006, 12:49 AM

Did you use the Migration Assistant to move your files? I've just ordered a Mac Mini and was concerned that transferring files and applications from my MDD G4 might be a problem due to the Intel. If you didn't use MA what procedure did you use?

Thanks,

Doug

AC Rempt
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2006, 01:38 AM

Hey Doug,

I used MA to transition from my PowerMac G5 dual 1.8 to my new iMac dual core, and didn't have any problems at all. Like VisorMan said, it's all there.

VisorMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 12:39 PM

Hey guys

I updated more this am

Bought a new wireless keyboard and wireless mouse since my mom needs my old mac keyboard and mouse. Thats okay I rather have wireless keyboard and mouse. Only 59 each

Man it is looking BETTER than last night when i hooked up

What do you think now? You dont see any wires

VisorMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Douglashh
Did you use the Migration Assistant to move your files? I've just ordered a Mac Mini and was concerned that transferring files and applications from my MDD G4 might be a problem due to the Intel. If you didn't use MA what procedure did you use?

Thanks,

Doug

Yes Doug I used Migration Assistant to move my files. It took 15 minutes. That was piece of cake!

I am loving it more now

the_glassman
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by VisorMan
Hey guys

I updated more this am

Bought a new wireless keyboard and wireless mouse since my mom needs my old mac keyboard and mouse. Thats okay I rather have wireless keyboard and mouse. Only 59 each

Man it is looking BETTER than last night when i hooked up

What do you think now? You dont see any wires

I see many batteries in your future!

VisorMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 04:36 PM

That is not a problem about batteries. I use rechargeable batteries

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2006, 08:00 PM

get an iskin for your keyboard (protouch xt) you wont regret it..i'd hate to see that beautiful white keyboard turn black
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

VisorMan  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2006, 09:46 PM

thanks spitty!!!

Great idea I just ordered few minutes ago color sonic blue Ill just use the towel for now to cover when not in use til I get the iskin

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2006, 09:53 PM

nice! i actually prefer the arctic frosted clear because it still maintains that "white" look and feel and protects your keyboard from getting dirty..maybe that just matches for me because i have an imac so i'm trying to keep everything white...in any case, you're gonna love the iskin - you should probably clean it every month or two as the oils from your skin will tend to stay on there and eventually seep through the skin..just clog your sink, turn on the hot water, dump a bunch of liquid soap, and mush it around and have fun, dry, place back on the keyboard (if you wait more than 2 months you should probably run a wet towel over your keyboard before replacing the iskin)
| MacBook Pro 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo | 4GB Memory | 8x DL Superdrive | NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM | 160GB Internal running Leopard 10.5.6 | 500GB External | AirportExtreme + Bluetooth 2.0 | Logitech MxRevolution | Casio Exilim EX z75 | iPhone 3G Black |

Agent69
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 12:28 AM

The price of the Dual Core Mini with 20" LCD and wireless keyboard/mouse comes to $1716.00 at the online Apple Store. The 20" Dual Core iMac lists as $1699.00 (granted, with wired keyboard/mouse). They are close in price but the performance per buck would obviously favor the iMac, especially with its dedicated video solution and its faster/larger hard drive.

The reason I bring this up is because I am having trouble deciding what I want. I love having separated components because it gives me the freedom to mix and match but at the same time, a Dual Core Mini with all the fixings may not be my best buy when compared to the iMac.

I would love to hear from you VisorMan, and other people, on how you decided which way to go.
Agent69

Douglashh
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 20, 2006, 12:44 AM

I suspect that if you are willing to mix and match you could probably find a pretty good 20" LCD for less than an apple model.

I've opted for the Mac Mini with a new 19" Viewsonic LCD that I snagged on eBay for less than $200.

Doug

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2006, 01:01 AM

Go Refrub. 1449 for 20" Core Duo and 1099 for 17" Core Duo iMacs. Best deal around by far.

My roomate got a 20" iMac G5 for 1150 and it is a beautiful and perfect machine.

If you still want seperated components, I'd go with a Dell new or refurb (www.delloutlet.com) LCD monitor. I have the 1704 17" and it's been a great display.
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

spitty27
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 20, 2006, 01:05 AM

as far as upgradability goes...both the mac mini and the imac intel core duo's are socketed cpus so one could potentially swap it with the merom when they come out if one chooses to do so...but the graphics i think are better on the imac. Also, if you ever decide to sell the mac mini and get a new powermac, you still have a gorgeous 20" acd whereas if you sell your imac, you've got nothing...though you could still somehow use your imac as an external lcd.

in any case, i like relatively clean setups..up until 2-3 weeks ago i had a powermac g5 1.8ghz (rev a) with a 17" crt and a bunch of peripherals. i sold it and bought the imac thats in my sig and ive never been more pleased with any decision i've ever made. the quality of the screen jump (crt to lcd) is amazing. the graphics memory doubled, and i now have dual core.

again, i'd say it depends on whether you're looking into the future or not. if power is something you're looking for, id say hold off on the 20" acd (that thing hurts the pocket - or maybe try to find a reconditioned one) and wait till the conroe desktops come out. if form factor is your goal, id say go for the imac, the thing is simply stunning and beautiful. however, if you're looking for the ability to mix and match, even with a keyboard and mouse off the bat since the mac mini is byokm, go for the mac mini - its also very small and might even fit on the base under your 20" lcd.

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 07:11 AM

I received my mini on 04/04 and I'm very pleased with it. While I agree that the GPU is its weakest link, It's handled everything I've thrown at it.

Coming from an old cube owne, I really like the lines of the mini.
~Mike

Agent69
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2006, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Maflynn
I received my mini on 04/04 and I'm very pleased with it. While I agree that the GPU is its weakest link, It's handled everything I've thrown at it.

Coming from an old cube owne, I really like the lines of the mini.
Hey, I owned a Cube too. What model did you own?

I owned a 450mhz G4 Cube with the Radeon option. I bought it with a 17" Apple Studio Display CRT and boy was it sweet.

(Oh, and thanks to those who replied to my question.)
Agent69

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Apr 20, 2006, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Agent69
Hey, I owned a Cube too. What model did you own?

I owned a 450mhz G4 Cube with the Radeon option. I bought it with a 17" Apple Studio Display CRT and boy was it sweet.

(Oh, and thanks to those who replied to my question.)
I owned the 450MHz, and later upgraded it to the radeon video card. I went with the 15" studio display.

It was such a sad day to see it go I wasn't using it and I needed it to help pay for a new mac, so it made all of the logical sense in the world, but it made no sense emotionally.

Oh well time to move on
~Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules