Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Question About The Mini's T2300

Question About The Mini's T2300
Agent69
Mac Elite
May 18, 2006, 04:14 PM

I am trying to find out how the T2300 in the Mac Mini, which is the dual core 1.66ghz CPU, compares in processing power to Intel's Pentium 4 processor. Google doesn't seem to be helping me, although I might just be having a tough day.

Any help is appreciated.
Agent69

bovie
Forum Regular
May 22, 2006, 01:37 AM

I find my 2.0Ghz Core Duo in my imac is almost as fast as my 4400+ AMD Athlon 64 x2 at work and runs circles around 2.8Ghz P4's we also have at work. I expect that the 1.66 Core Duo is still a very fast chip.
iMac 20in, 2.0Ghz, 1.5GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4 - Windows XP Pro
PowerBook 12in, 1.5Ghz G4, 1.25GB Ram, Mac OS X 10.4
PowerMac 1.3Ghz G4, 1GB Ram, Radeon 8500, OS X Server 10.4

cornwallstone
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 10:30 AM

Besides the Mini listed below, I have both 3.2 and 3.6 P4 desktops, and a 2.0 M notebook. Like the Mini, the desktops have 2GB of memory, but the notebook has 1GB.

I haven't done any objective benchmarking, but the Mini "feels" a bit slower than all 3 in day to day use, which is influenced by a lot more than just the processor. Just a wag, but running only OS-X, I'd compare it to a 3.0 P4 or 1.8 or so Pentium M on day to day things.

One of these days I'll run the Matlab benchmark on all four and see what shakes out.

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the information guys; I appreciate it.
Agent69

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by miniMoe
1.8 or so Pentium M on day to day things.
I dont see how a dual core chip running at 1.66 Ghz can be roughly the same speed as a 1.8 Ghz Pentium M, which is essentially a Core Solo chip.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Jigglybootch
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 22, 2006, 09:21 PM

I've seen benchmarks for the T2600 (which is the 2.166 GHz chip) and it's quite a bit faster than pretty much every other Intel chip out there and nearly as fast as AMD's best. I would imagine that the T2300, while not as fast, compares favorably to Intel's best. I'd be willing to be that it's quite a bit faster than the 3 GHz P4 that I'm running in my desktop. Of course, overall performance would probably be impacted by application support for dual core.

Agent69  (op)
Mac Elite
May 23, 2006, 03:02 PM

Not to mention a 5400rpm hard drive slowing things down.
Agent69

N0rg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 22, 2006, 08:11 AM

The Mini Core Duo is faster than a P4. I have a Mini Core Duo and a P4@3Ghz, Both systems run with 1GB of Ram. But in common day tasks, like surfing the Net, listening to Music, the Mini is Better all Way, more stable, faster and cooler than Pentium 4.
But if you want to play games the GPU on the Mini is not a good Solution.
So ask your self if you want a Computer to Play, or one to Work. My advice to U is that if U want the best of both worlds go for a iMac with a Core Duo, the GPU unit is great, and runs Mac OS X and Windows smothly......

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2006, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by N0rg
The Mini Core Duo is faster than a P4. I have a Mini Core Duo and a P4@3Ghz, Both systems run with 1GB of Ram. But in common day tasks, like surfing the Net, listening to Music, the Mini is Better all Way, more stable, faster and cooler than Pentium 4.
But if you want to play games the GPU on the Mini is not a good Solution.
So ask your self if you want a Computer to Play, or one to Work. My advice to U is that if U want the best of both worlds go for a iMac with a Core Duo, the GPU unit is great, and runs Mac OS X and Windows smothly......
I think the stability and speed has more to do with Mac OS X vs Windows rather than the processors.

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2006, 12:17 AM

Mac OS X is rather slow compared to Windows.

It's definitely the CPU that is the case here. Pentium 4s are not only crap, but the 1.66 GHz Core Duo technically has ~3.2 GHz of Core processing power at its disposal given a fully multi-threaded application.

pheonixash
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 23, 2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tomchu
Mac OS X is rather slow compared to Windows.

It's definitely the CPU that is the case here. Pentium 4s are not only crap, but the 1.66 GHz Core Duo technically has ~3.2 GHz of Core processing power at its disposal given a fully multi-threaded application.
Really?! I find it to be muchhh faster. Then again could be cause of the MacBook.

Ok stability is definitely due to Mac OS X though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules