Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Brand New MacBook Pro With Small "Water Spot"

Brand New MacBook Pro With Small "Water Spot"
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 9, 2006, 11:21 PM

I picked up a base model MacBook Pro ($1999) for a friend at our local computer store. Upon starting it up I noticed one of those not-so-nifty white "water spots" in the upper left-hand corner of the screen. It is only noticeable when there is no Finder Menu Bar and the screen is a dark color.

My friend hasn't seen it yet and I haven't mentioned it when I was back at the store. It seems like a minor defect but I am curious whether it is serious enough to expect the store to take it back or Apple to repair it? What have others experienced when confronted with this particular problem?

I had a similar spot in the middle of my G3 iBook but I just lived with it because it was only noticeable under rare circumstances and it was preferable to a stuck pixel in my mind, which neither the MacBook Pro nor the iBook had...

This Mac is the first for my friend who has used PCs for many years; it's a bit of a bummer that there is a problem right out of the box.

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 09:22 AM

I guess whether to take the computer back depends on how your friend feels about the spot. You should probably point it out to him and see what he thinks. If you can demonstrate the malfunction then see if the store will take it back. If not, take it to the genius bar(assuming there is one close by) and see if they will do something about it.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 10, 2006, 12:35 PM

Personally i will not settle for something less then perfect with that price tag.
i dont care if its a stuck pixel or a little dot i pay premium i want excellence.
if i was you i would talk o my friend and try to have it fixed if nothing can be done i would return it.

romeosc
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Javizun
Personally i will not settle for something less then perfect with that price tag.
i dont care if its a stuck pixel or a little dot i pay premium i want excellence.
if i was you i would talk o my friend and try to have it fixed if nothing can be done i would return it.

Then Don't buy a new computer! All manufactors allow a certain number of dead or stuck pixels!

mikochu
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2006, 06:40 PM

During my iBook phase, I opened one and it had a gash on the top lid...FROM FACTORY. I was still at the Apple Store, so i brought it to the Genius Bar. The Genius tried to buff it out with some iPod cleaning stuff. He wasn't successful, so I got a new iBook...but still, wtf.
Michael Reyes | www.mikochu.com | Power Mac G5 DC 2.3ghz, 2.5gb RAM, 320/250gb HD, Dual Sceptre 20" LCDs | MacBook Pro 2.0ghz, 2gb RAM, 80gb HD, 15.2" LCD, booq Vyper M2 sleeve, OGIO No Drag | iPhone 3G 16gb | iPod 60gb (5g), iPod2Car in the car | iPod 20gb (4g) in an iHome in the bathroom :)

lowdaksport
Forum Regular
Sep 11, 2006, 11:26 AM

Yea I agree with what was stated above. See if it matters to your friend and if it bothers them, which minor things tend to get to me a lot, then work it out from there and take it where you got it and see if you can exchange it or whatever options might be available. Or just call apple, whatever you want to try to get the problem fixed.

Forum Links
Forum Rules