Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > macbook ram comparison

macbook ram comparison
bankbot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2006, 02:08 PM

Hello, I'm looking for 2 gigs of ram to upgrade my macbook and I found this decently priced generic brand for around $200: MacBook Memory Upgrades

however, there is also the venerable crucial selling the same type and amount of ram for 100 bucks more: Computer memory upgrades for Apple MacBook 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo (13-inch White) Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com

I'm not super savvy on what the price differences engender with 2 brands of the same type of ram. Are these two actually that different. Will the crucial RAM somehow run faster or not crap out?

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 04:28 PM

I doubt there will be a speed difference, but it is much more likely to "crap out" if you buy cheap stuff. The site you linked to appears to be cheap stuff.

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 11, 2006, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tuoder View Post
I doubt there will be a speed difference, but it is much more likely to "crap out" if you buy cheap stuff. The site you linked to appears to be cheap stuff.
I have bought from DMS over the years; the are reputable, reliable and quick to ship. Our iMac Core Duo has their memory and has had no problems. I would use Mushkin or Newegg before anyone else today.

Apple Memory - PC5300 DDR2 SODIMM - Mushkin Enhanced
Outpost sells Mushkin discounted periodically. We have it in a MacBook.

A-DATA 1GB 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM Memory for Apple Notebook - Retail at Newegg.com
3 months ago, this memory was $50 less, which means the price wars passed already.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2006, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold View Post
I have bought from DMS over the years; the are reputable, reliable and quick to ship. Our iMac Core Duo has their memory and has had no problems. I would use Mushkin or Newegg before anyone else today.
I guess my point is that I wouldn't buy anything labeled econoRAM.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 12, 2006, 12:21 AM

The speed is right; the performance should be about the same (within a percent).

The difference is usually reliability. Random crashes/freezes/panics can and do occur with cheap/crappy RAM.

bankbot  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 06:27 PM

It looks like mushkin is the brand with the features of both cheapness and reliability. What have been peoples experiences with Mushkin macbook ram?

Z4cane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2006, 06:39 PM

I work in corporate sales for CompUSA. Last week we had the 1GB modules on sale for $124.99 with a $25 rebate. I sold quite a few of them last week.

Not trying to spam the board, but I am happy to offer a discount to anyone in need. Feel free to PM me. If this is inappropriate, feel free to let me know.

Forum Links
Forum Rules