Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > CD Blackbook for 1199 or C2D Blackbook for 1499

CD Blackbook for 1199 or C2D Blackbook for 1499
Blizzake
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 01:14 AM

thats my question. I will be getting one this week and my local compusa has the CD 2.0 for 1199 new or i can get a c2d for 1499. I am a bit hesitant to buy from compusa thinking that it will be easier to swap/repair at an apple store if something is wrong from the get go.

the c2d does come with 1 gig compared to 512 but i have been reading about the 120 drive issues in the new blackbook

what are your opinions?

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 02:04 AM

Always go with the latest and greatest--and avoid any the first generation in favor of the second generation. You get a lot of improvements for that $300 difference.

HouseSold
Senior User
Nov 16, 2006, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
Always go with the latest and greatest--and avoid any the first generation in favor of the second generation. You get a lot of improvements for that $300 difference.
Our new C2D is beyond amazing (we had 3 1st gens)

I don't want to praise it too much for fear of jinxing.

Barely audible fan and hard drive, cool running temp around 59 centigrade and Parallels working excellently. What more could we want.........except.

BlackBook style laptop, 14 or 15 inch screen, backlit keys, firewire 800, 1 more USB port and and.....
or MacBook Pro in Black will do nicely.

This will do until April 2007. Apple rocks.......Yes.

One core duo Toshiba headed for ebay.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 16, 2006, 04:07 PM

For simply a speed gain (as many of the 1st gen problems have been fixed), I would rather go for the $300 savings.

My philosophy is: Unless there is significant functional AND performance improvement (i.e.: iBook to MacBook), don't go for latest and greatest.

Cottonsworth
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 04:24 PM

It really depends on what you are going to use it for and your financial situation. If $300 is a big deal for you and you only use a computer to surf the internet, use MS Office and iLife apps, the first gen should be more than enough. Personally, I would opt for the newer one since you should be getting more ram, a larger hard drive, dual-layer burner, and a N-compliant wireless card. I haven't read any issues with the hard drive other then that they use a Toshiba drive and they are slightly slower when doing some tasks, such as zipping. As for technical support at the Apple Store, it doesn't make a difference if you get it at CompUSA or the Apple Store, you will be treated the same.

Z4cane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2006, 08:05 PM

C2D is worth the price when you consider 1GB RAM and 120GB HD (not to mention the DL Superdrive). As for CUSA, I work in Corporate sales for them, and you should be ok. Just buy Applecare. Also, most of our stores have Apple Certified Techs.

m_young
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2006, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Z4cane View Post
C2D is worth the price when you consider 1GB RAM and 120GB HD (not to mention the DL Superdrive). As for CUSA, I work in Corporate sales for them, and you should be ok. Just buy Applecare. Also, most of our stores have Apple Certified Techs.
Exactly what I was going to say. C2D is a 25% speed increase, per apple, but you get that coupled with twice the RAM and 50% more hard drive capacity. The decision was made easier for me with the ($100) education discount, but I still think it's worth it for the $300 difference. Of course, I say that having never used the Core Duo save for in the Apple Store.

pete
Mac Elite
Nov 17, 2006, 09:13 AM

the question is if you're going to spend $1500 plus tax (in NYC that means $1620), then why not just get the new MBP for $1850 at macconnection after rebate? It's more money, but not THAT much more for a long-term machine. I guess that's what Apple wants us to do....

Forum Links
Forum Rules