Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Encoding Quality Diff between AAC, MP3, Lossless?

Encoding Quality Diff between AAC, MP3, Lossless?
solofx7
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 08:59 AM

I am listening to my music on very good quality Bose Headphones or earbuds and also in my car on very good amplified car speakers.
My question is what encoding format is best if I want to lose the least quality?
Size is not the most important factor.
At this point it is quality.
Roughly How big of a difference is there in quality between the formats?
I think that I am in for another big encoding.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Jan 4, 2007, 10:55 AM

If size doesn't matter then do Apple Lossless then you'll never have to re-rip anything ever again

solofx7  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2007, 12:25 PM

how big are apple lossless files in comparison to mp3 or AAC?
i am trying to gauge size vs quality...

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2007, 06:24 PM

Apple Lossless is one of the larger lossless codecs; about 450MB for a full CD, although it varies widely.

MP3 and AAC can be anywhere from 17MB (32kbps) to 170MB (320kbps) for a full CD depending on what quality you choose; for most people the best point is about 105MB per CD for MP3 and 70MB per CD for AAC.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2007, 02:33 AM

Use AIFF encoding in 24 bit. This is the same quality as a CD.

If you are into quality, avoid any form of compression, as good as it may be. There will always be some kind of a loss - even in lossless.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2007, 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Veltliner View Post

If you are into quality, avoid any form of compression, as good as it may be. There will always be some kind of a loss - even in lossless.

You don't understand what a lossless codec is. It's like zipping the aiff, except better tuned for music (usually) and more convenient to play back.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post

You don't understand what a lossless codec is. It's like zipping the aiff, except better tuned for music (usually) and more convenient to play back.
You are banging your head too much against walls, mduell.

I am not a recording engineer, and you aren't either, obviously.

If lossless would be better than AIFF, there would be no reason to issue CDs in AIFF.

In future, if you are of a different opinion, try courtesy. You will still get your message across - even better I suppose.

Your rudeness makes you look like a loser.

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2007, 04:13 AM

If lossless would be better than AIFF, there would be no reason to issue CDs in AIFF.

In future, if you are of a different opinion, try courtesy. You will still get your message across - even better I suppose.

what the hell's this about? anyway perfect sound will never be achieved in a moving car with the engine running. ANY CAR! there, there now.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 05:12 AM

The reason CDs are not in a compressed lossless format is because the logic/programming/algorithms required to decompress the lossless audio would not only complexify the whole CD playing process, but also make the equipment more expensive. As it is now, regular CDs are simply the "raw" sound in a digital format without any compression -- hence, easy and cheap to play back.

Try telling the designers of the CD standard back in the 80's about lossless compression.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2007, 05:33 AM

So, the answer to the original poster, solofx7, would be: burn it in AIFF, because you can play it anywhere and on any equipment, that plays a CD. And it is also the best quality.

Thanks, Tomchu.

Tomchu, what about SACDs? What compression format is that?

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2007, 06:50 PM

So, the answer to the original poster, solofx7, would be: burn it in AIFF, because you can play it anywhere and on any equipment, that plays a CD. And it is also the best quality.
solofx asked: "what encoding format is best if I want to lose the least quality?" And the topic subject specifies "between AAC, MP3, Lossless?".

Therefore the answer is: encode in Lossless.

I can't think of a single good, practical reason to keep your music in AIFF (except in your CD collection, obviously). Lossless codecs retain exactly the same information (and thus quality), bit-for-bit.

If you have iTunes you can always burn Apple Lossless back to CD at full quality anyway; why would anyone waste the extra space?

f1000
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2007, 07:17 PM

Compression doesn't always cause loss. Lossless compression is just that: lossless. There is no loss of information in a lossless compressed file. The file could be decompressed and its data matched bit for bit with the original file.

This is not true for lossy compression. In order to achieve higher compression, lossy formats throw out some information deemed insignificant to human audio perception. Such files can't be uncompressed and matched bit for bit with the original file.

So why weren't CD's losslessly compressed? Read Tomchu's post.

AIFF is probably not the best format to store files in anymore simply because many of us never use a CD player. Hard drive storage isn't free, so it makes sense to store CD's in ALE. I should note, though, that the old shuffle (and the new one too?) can't play back ALE files, so if the original poster must use a shuffle, it might be worthwhile for him to store them in WAV format. Frankly, I'd just get a Nano and stick with ALE.

Why don't we all wait until tomorrow to see what new paradigm shift Jobs has up his sleeve before giving out more advice?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2007, 07:51 PM

If you take a 700MB aiff (or wav) file and zip it, the result will probably be about a 600MB zip file. If you then unzip it, the file you get back is bit-for-bit identical to the original. This is like lossless encoding: you get a smaller file size, and you can recover all of the original information. Apple Lossless, FLAC, etc are essentially the same idea, except with compression algorithms designed for audio and the applications are designed to unzip and play without leaving the intermediate file around on your disk.

CDs don't use any compression in order to reduce the cost/complexity of decoding them, among other things.

Your ignorance... I won't go there.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 06:20 AM

Mduell, you're too ignorant to know what true ignorance is.

If you loosened up, maybe you could get into the position to actually be able to afford the powerbook you are dreaming of.
( Last edited by Veltliner; Jan 9, 2007 at 06:34 AM. )

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2007, 06:30 AM

Wulf and f1000, thanks for the information.

Posts like yours really inform, and tomchu's, too, and are the reason why people go to message boards.

I was really speaking from the perspective of a CD collection and playback ability. I play back most music on a traditional HiFi.

Well, I learnt something about compression. I have more to do with video, and there the compression standards improve, but I don´t know of any lossless, especially in color space.

Now let's see what new formats will show up in future.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2007, 08:57 AM

Next time you could do some research after being corrected, rather than making personal attacks: Category:Lossless compression algorithms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 06:52 AM

Well hey, I'm an ex producer. And an ex professor of music technology.

No. Try 16 bit.

Mark is way more right than you are. Sorry dude but them's the facts.

Veltliner
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2007, 02:03 PM

Hi, doofy.

Sure, 16bit. There is no 24bit.

It wasn't about being right. Everybody says, one in a while, things that are not right.

It's just human.

It was the way I was told I was not right, that I did not like.

Anyway, thing is resolved.

Good luck to you all,

Veltliner

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 02:21 PM

yes there are 24 bit, and are used when in production, and then are downsampled to 16 bit for compatibility with the standards...
You can go way over 24 bit.

The CDs use 16 bit.

Madrag
Senior User
Jan 10, 2007, 02:24 PM

to the OP:

That has been one of my concerns as well, since I record mny sessions, and would like o keep all, even the mistakes, and as it has been said already, storage isn't free...
I've tried several: zipping, MP3, AIF with some types of compression, etc...
I still haven't reached a final conclusion, but have been doing MP3 with 320Kbps. Let's see if I don't regret not having spent more money on storage...

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2007, 03:16 PM

There are some folks who are religious about sound quality, and good luck to them, they already know what format they like. For the rest of us, take a reference piece of music that you like, and encode it in a few different formats at a few different bitrates and compressions. Then listen to it, and see what the highest compression is that you can't hear the difference on. That's the best trade-off (for you) of quality and space.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2007, 05:02 PM

Hi, doofy.

Sure, 16bit. There is no 24bit.

It wasn't about being right. Everybody says, one in a while, things that are not right.

It's just human.

It was the way I was told I was not right, that I did not like.
No worries.

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2007, 12:03 AM

I recommend Doug's AppleScripts Lossless-to-AAC Workflow.

Hard drive space is so cheap, it is worth keeping everything in Apple Lossless (or similar format like FLAC if you prefer), which is an EXACT copy of a CD, bit-perfect, with the added benefit of tags and artwork and all that cool stuff.

Then, use Doug's script to "downsample" a version to your iPod (or modify the script to downsample to another portable drive or even a second iTunes library) for portable use.

This is exclusively how I manage my music now. The CDs get kept on the shelves for reference (the liner notes) and backup. Hope this helps.

--Chris

HouseSold
Senior User
Jan 12, 2007, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by hempcamp View Post
I recommend Doug's AppleScripts Lossless-to-AAC Workflow.

Hard drive space is so cheap, it is worth keeping everything in Apple Lossless (or similar format like FLAC if you prefer), which is an EXACT copy of a CD, bit-perfect, with the added benefit of tags and artwork and all that cool stuff.

Then, use Doug's script to "downsample" a version to your iPod (or modify the script to downsample to another portable drive or even a second iTunes library) for portable use.

This is exclusively how I manage my music now. The CDs get kept on the shelves for reference (the liner notes) and backup. Hope this helps.

--Chris
What do you do to use iTunes you purchase to use elsewhere? ie: slideshow background music or to a CD for your kids.
I tried to use a song bought on iTunes for my family slides background in FotoMagico and it said in a message that the tracks will play silent if I burned them to a DVD. Something about DRM.

I only want to use it for family stuff.

How can I filter out the DRM to use at home?

hempcamp
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2007, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by HouseSold View Post
What do you do to use iTunes you purchase to use elsewhere? ...
How can I filter out the DRM to use at home?
I'm only talking about ripping CDs or buying lossless music to begin with in my post above. As for iTunes Music Store DRM, I only buy stuff there every so often. I believe you burn it to a CD and rip it back to get rid of the DRM, but you lose some quality.

--Chris
Current: iMac 20" 2.4/4/320 / iMac G4 800
Portable: iPhone 3G White/16 / 12" PowerBook 1.5/1.25/80
Former: PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8 / iBook G3 700 / PM 7500, 3G iPod 10GB, 5.5G iPod 30GB

Demonhood
Administrator
Jan 12, 2007, 03:10 PM

be civil fellas.

Forum Links
Forum Rules