Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Funny speaker issue

Funny speaker issue
alligator
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2007, 01:02 PM

I have boot camp running well on my Mac Pro, but the sound plays out of the external speakers AND out of my internal Mac Pro speaker. How do I shut off the Mac Pro speaker?

cgc
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2007, 01:31 PM

Mine does that too...I haven't found a way to kill the internal speaker so I turn the master volume (via windows) down and crank my external speakers. Lame solution but it'll have to do until Apple fixes this minor or bug.

OreoCookie
Jan 14, 2007, 03:14 PM

That's a Windows issue, moving … 
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

wyatt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2007, 06:47 AM

Plug anything in the headphone jack.

It can be headphones, an audio cord, or even the severed plug from an old pair of headphones. It does not matter, all will turn off the internal speaker. Is it attractive? No, but it is far less annoying.

Since our desktop speakers are actually plugged into a "line out" and not a dedicated speaker output, they will work as normal, even with the headphone jack on the front panel being used.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2007, 12:23 AM

I know this isn't the same as the original question, but I didn't know where else to post it. I installed Boot Camp and xp just fine tonight, but the mouse has the little hour glass every few seconds and there is a duh dum sound every few seconds like something is going on. I don't know what is going on, I JUST installed this sucker, and I rebooted already. I didn't spend a ton of time troubleshooting it, I am going to bed for now. Tomorrow late in the evening after work and then school I'll take a peek, but wanted to pop this up here in case anyone else already had the simple answer to the issue. Nothing appears to be running, dual display and airport and everything are working fine, just couldn't tell what was going on off the bat that'd warrant a noise and a cursor change every few seconds on a brand new install which got registered properly and all that.

Stingrey
Forum Regular
Jan 23, 2007, 12:50 AM

Figured it out. No bubble was displayed, but xp determined that my USB connection could function better if I had a USB 2 hub vs my old hub that is currently in place. I'll work on the hub issue, but thought I'd post my finding in case anyone else ran into a phantom dinging sound for no otherwise apparant reason.

Forum Links
Forum Rules