Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > I think my new MacBook Pro is defective

I think my new MacBook Pro is defective
seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 08:58 PM

If I'm on a couch or bed using the computer on my lap, gravity drags the screen down and it flops closed. This happens when the screen is at a 70-degree angle or less to the floor. Has anybody else experienced this issue? Do they all do this?

I'm thinking that this unit is just defective. I've had many Apple notebooks and this one is the first one that had no tension in the hinge when it was brand new. I'll probably take it to the Apple Store tomorrow to get a new one.

Cold Warrior
Oct 17, 2008, 09:05 PM

Absolutely defective. The only time I've seen no tension is when it is broken. Definitely return it.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2008, 09:13 PM

That's what I'm thinking. It will hold its own weight until it goes a little past 90 degrees. After that, it falls over on its own weight and stops just before closing completely. Does anybody else have experience with a new MacBook Pro for comparison?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2008, 01:15 PM

The lid is heavier for sure, if I life the base to about 80 degrees the lid closes most of the way.

seanyepez  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2008, 05:10 PM

I took the computer back. After comparing it to the models on the floor, the employee there found that my hinge was noticeably weaker. They replaced it with a new unit. The new unit is about the same as the ones on the floor. It is still weak in my opinion. My older MacBook Pro holds its screen steady until I physically press down on it to close it. This new unit begins to close when I go beyond normal usage angles. I think Apple is eventually going to tighten up the hinges on the production line and perhaps end up fixing a few of the weaker computers under warranty.

The computer is pretty nice, though. It's hard to get used to not having a mouse button. One thing that is nice about this new computer is that it runs a lot cooler than the older model.

Raman
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2008, 12:24 AM

I bought a MBP 2 days ago and it had some weird crack under the surface of the aluminum near the right part of the hinge area. They swapped it out with a new one today.

Both of the the MBP's I've had show the same screen closing you're talking about. When the screen is at 90 degrees to the body and you tilt the body about 45 degrees up then the screen nearly shuts. Think going from a position where you're sitting on a couch with your MBP on your lap and you go to lay on said couch with your feet on the cushion and your MBP on your thigh. If you don't push the screen back 5-10 degrees quickly, it'll nearly close on you. I didn't notice if the ones at the store did this. Next time I'm there I'll try it. I think the glass screen is probably pretty heavy and once it gets moving, there's little stopping it.

Now if the base is flat I can move the screen to almost any position and it won't close by itself. Weird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules