Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Safeware insurance for laptops...any experience?

Safeware insurance for laptops...any experience?
cambro
Senior User
Dec 5, 2002, 06:20 PM

My question is simple:

Has anyone ever purchased an insurance policy for their laptop through safeware?

I've asked this question within other threads but didn't get much feedback. It looks like a pretty good deal. I am much more worried about accidental damage/theft of my Ti than I am about mechanical failure. What do people think? Ever used the company or filed a claim? Experiences?

Thanks for your input,
cambro

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2002, 07:46 PM

I used Safeware for many years but never had to make a claim!!! But, I generally liked them and I would still use them but my home-owners policy now covers all my computers. I would start with looking there and see what you may already have. I was pleased to learn that I am covered when I travel etc. Like car rental insurance - your carrier may actually cover....

freebird
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2002, 08:38 PM

I've used Safeware also for a couple of years but have never made a claim. They were recommended to me and I've never heard anything bad about them.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2002, 11:23 PM

I am also thinking of getting a policy for my new TiBook - my homeowners has a $500 deductable! I was also considering a policy on my iPod - it priced out at about $60 a year - full replacement cost - no deductable - seems worth it!

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

sillyrabbitt
Dec 17, 2002, 07:30 PM

i found out that safeware will not guaranty you will get an apple back if there is a problem...they said they will give you something of similar specs...it could be a pc!!!

can anyone recommend a diff. insurance program?
ibook,800,30gig,12.1",640mb,10.2.4, Airport

FlashGordon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2002, 07:53 PM

CompUSA and Frys both have good warranty policies, and I believe they are available if you did not buy the computer there. The plus with a CompUSA warranty is that almost everywhere has a CompUSA, and if they have to fix it more than twice you get a new model to replace it if your model has been replaced. They also include accidental loss.

Also, I strongly recommend against using your homeowners policy to protect your CPU. If you ever have to make a claim they have a high deductable and can terminate your policy or raise your premiums. Its not worth it. Plus if your spacebar stops working in a year and a day, what are you going to do take your useless computer to the AllState insurance office? I don't think so. Do not use your home owners policy to protect your computer unless you are only protecting it from theft or destruction, in which case it may work.

sillyrabbitt
Dec 17, 2002, 08:12 PM

THANKS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Flash he saved everyone one of us"
ibook,800,30gig,12.1",640mb,10.2.4, Airport

mousemd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2002, 11:40 AM

Bump***

Also, I too am interested in purchasing some additional insurance (like Dell offers) for TOTAL protection given that AppleCare only offers protection from non-accidental coverage.

1) Safeware NOT replacing my powerbook? Is this true?
2) How do you get CompUSA or Fry's to issue me insurance given that I didn't Buy my Powerbook from them?

I love my powerbook by the way...wireless and the coolness makes it "oh so cool"

Can't wait to have more time so that I can play with it for real...

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2002, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by sillyrabbitt:
i found out that safeware will not guaranty you will get an apple back if there is a problem...they said they will give you something of similar specs...it could be a pc!!!

Are you serious!!! You can't be telling me that a computer insurance company thinks that a PC and a Mac are interchangable! Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone ever claimed against their policy with these people? Hearing from people that haven't claimed tell you nothing really.... anyone can take your money... heck, I will do that. It's the payout that matters when have a problem.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2002, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by FlashGordon:
CompUSA and Frys both have good warranty policies, and I believe they are available if you did not buy the computer there. The plus with a CompUSA warranty is that almost everywhere has a CompUSA, and if they have to fix it more than twice you get a new model to replace it if your model has been replaced. They also include accidental loss.

Also, I strongly recommend against using your homeowners policy to protect your CPU. If you ever have to make a claim they have a high deductable and can terminate your policy or raise your premiums. Its not worth it. Plus if your spacebar stops working in a year and a day, what are you going to do take your useless computer to the AllState insurance office? I don't think so. Do not use your home owners policy to protect your computer unless you are only protecting it from theft or destruction, in which case it may work.
Yes & Yes

CompUSA's policy, while expensive is a great alternative.. On My iPod, I twice got a new one... Once when the battery wouldn't hold a charge, and once when my 2 year old son threw it out the car window

The Computer also was replaced for me, no problems, again due to charging problems... It has been worth it for me.

As for the home owners policy, they will jack up your rates big. don't do it.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

mousemd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2002, 11:32 AM

Once again, is it possible to buy CompUSA's extended warranty if I didn't buy the computer from them?

Also, about Safeware NOT returning me an Apple TiBook if it is damaged...any truth?

Thanks again

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2002, 08:25 PM

Originally posted by mousemd:
Once again, is it possible to buy CompUSA's extended warranty if I didn't buy the computer from them?

Also, about Safeware NOT returning me an Apple TiBook if it is damaged...any truth?

Thanks again
it depends on the Compusa manager of that store.... usually, yes.
Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

ima_pseudonym
Dec 27, 2002, 10:29 AM

Here is an email I sent to Safeware and their reply:

Good Morning, You are correct we guarantee replacement with same like, kind and quality as stated in our policies. We do not guarantee that you will get the same make and model. This may be something to factor before you
apply for the insurance. Thanks for your interest in our company.

To: [email protected]
cc:
Subject: Coverage of mac powerbooks

I was thinking of purchasing coverage for my Macintosh powerbook laptop,
but I heard that you will not guarantee that a replacement would be a mac
- that you might substitute a pc. As that would be ludicrous, it is
important to know that should my mac be damaged it would be replaced by a
mac with at least equiivalent specs.

Thanks,

cklinh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 27, 2002, 12:12 PM

Which leads to the next logical question: What does "same like, kind and quality" mean? PC's and Mac's definately would not be considered the same kind...if you ask any ol' mac user...however, i believe anyone would have a valid argument. It is definately not the same kind if it can't run the same software...

Originally posted by ima_pseudonym:
Here is an email I sent to Safeware and their reply:

Good Morning, You are correct we guarantee replacement with same like, kind and quality as stated in our policies. We do not guarantee that you will get the same make and model. This may be something to factor before you
apply for the insurance. Thanks for your interest in our company.

To: [email protected]
cc:
Subject: Coverage of mac powerbooks

I was thinking of purchasing coverage for my Macintosh powerbook laptop,
but I heard that you will not guarantee that a replacement would be a mac
- that you might substitute a pc. As that would be ludicrous, it is
important to know that should my mac be damaged it would be replaced by a
mac with at least equiivalent specs.

Thanks,

Roxie
Forum Regular
Dec 27, 2002, 12:26 PM

I have had Safeware for a number of years as well. I have even had my laptop with all the goodies including airport partially run over. Safeware was ready to replace it on the spot, but both my FireWire 2000 laptop and Airport were still working. They paid for fixing my pismo and paid for a new base station even though it only had a hairline crack. Apple does not repair these. They even let me keep the working salvage so I have an extra airport base station for my use.

You will never get a PC in replacement for a Mac. !! I just called them about this.

Here is how it works in the event of a total loss.

1. They attempt to replace your laptop with exactly the same model and type. If this can't be done, then it moves to level two.

2. Here they seek to find you a "Mac" of like, kind and quality. Like, kind means just what it says. If this is not possible, then they move to level three... "Cash for replacement value. They can't give you an iBook with many less features to replace your FireWire 2000 400 Mhz laptop just because that's the only laptop that currently ships with a G3 processor. It might be conceivable that they could replace the FireWire laptop with a low end Ti if mutually agreed upon. I suppose. If you preferred a PC of like quality , they might work with you, but they can't force you to accept same.

3. Cash REPLACEMENT value up to policy limits. NOT fair market value.

So for $200 a year, I get their "Key insurance policy " for $10,000 dollars.

This covers me for my computers, peripherals, ipods and even my computer updated GPS for the following:

Fire
Theft
Vandalism
Power Surges
Accidental damages.
Natural Disasters including Earthquake and flood.
Computers in transit .

For me, it's well word the money.

Rox

rambo47
Mac Elite
Jan 3, 2003, 10:57 AM

There's an article on Ogrady's PowerPage about Safeware Insurance vs. regular homeowner's insurance Here.

Forum Links
Forum Rules