Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Did I get a good deal here?

Did I get a good deal here?
mclix
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 06:04 PM

Hey, new PB owner here!

Anyway, I had in mind picking up either the 17 inch iMac FP or the 14.1 inch 800 MHz iBook. The 17 inch iMac being at 1,999 dollars and the iBook at 1,800 dollars.

Anyway, in the end, I ended up getting a PowerBook Ti. I got the 667 MHz PowerBook (revision B) DVI, with 32 MB video memory and 500 MB of ram installed. Everything brand new and ready to go for only 1,600 dollars.

The only extras I had to buy, of course, was the Apple Care, a carrying case, the tilt and tote handle and a pair of external speakers.

Now, the PB got my attention over the iBook because of the bigger screen, it's a G4 and other features.

And the guy recommended me the PB over the 17 inch FP iMac because he said that the 667 (B) PowerBook was faster because of the bigger system bus.

Now, when I tested my PB side by side with my mom's FP, it did seem faster. Although I don't know if this was true or if the guy now just tainted my percieved notions by telling me that heh

Anyway, I got the PB at an Mac Center, an official Apple seller. Since they don't have an Apple Store in South Florida, I went to this place, since it's where everyone goes for their Mac needs.

Anyway, just wanted to hear from some of the more knowledge Apple users here if I got a good deal or if I got gyped by being told some typical vendoer BS or whatever.

And yes, I am fully aware about the 12 inch and 17 inch PowerBooks, but while the 17 inch was way too pricey, the 12 inch was at a great price but was too small for my tastes since unless I have to bring it in too school or am going to travel, the PB is going to be my deskstop replacement.

ilko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 5, 2003, 06:24 PM

I think you got a better deal with the PowerBook over the iBook. The bus makes quite a difference as does the G4 processor.
As for the iMac, you paid a few hundred bucks less, and you got a slightly smaller screen, no SuperDrive (you could have it installed on the PB if you ever need it), but a lot of portability. In performance the new iMac (released yesterday) is faster, but lacks the portability. So if you need portability, you got a good deal on that one, too.

I'm a happy Ti 1GHz owner, so I might be a bit biased, but that's my �2

Forum Links
Forum Rules