Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Panther full version or just an upgrade??

Panther full version or just an upgrade??
Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2003, 06:57 PM

Will buyers of PB's after the 8th recieve Full versions of Panther or just an upgrade? Since the OS has so many major changes I think that Apple would send the full version??
Larry

newmanium
Oct 20, 2003, 08:40 PM

it will be the upgrade disc (requiring Jaguar) you'll be recieving from Apple. It's basically "free" but with a $19.95 charge for shipping/handling. Here is the order form from Apple's website.

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2003, 11:34 PM

It will be an UPGRADE disk that will require Jaguar to be installed prior to installation. It will however let you do ALL FULL INSTALL options such as, archive and install, erase and install, upgrade, etc.

You need to have Jag. installed in order for the Upgrade CD to function. Other than that its a FULL INSTALL
( Last edited by RodriCO2000; Oct 21, 2003 at 12:07 AM. )
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

pb_soon
Oct 21, 2003, 12:05 AM

So I assume for reloading Panther at a later stage (e.g. after disaster), one would need to reinstall Jaguar (from the restore CDs) and then run the upgrade again?

While, on that topic, as I do not have a PB (yet), PBs do come with recovery CDs right? Not like my current Thinkpad which comes with a recovery partition! (I had to pay for the recovery CD).

Now, with this so call full install option from the upgrade Panther, would it be the same as basically do a fresh install from the non-upgrade CD's? That is, it won't leave any old files around would it?

coolmacdude
Senior User
Oct 21, 2003, 12:09 AM

Originally posted by RodriCO2000:
It will be an UPGRADE disk that will require Jaguar to be installed priro to installation. It will however let you do ALL FULL INSTALL options such as, archive and install, erase and install, upgrade, wtc.

You need to have Jag. installed in order for the Upgrade CD to function. Other than that its a FULL INSTALL
While at first glance, this might not be a serious issue, I would prefer if all future OS updates didn't limit you in this way if you buy a new machine to get the cheap vrs. See, I got the Jag "update" disc, and I was hoping I would be able to get a full Panther vrs. even with the $20 one. Now I'll have to install 10.1, then Jag, then Panther, every time I reinstall.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

RodriCO2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 21, 2003, 12:12 AM

All PB's come with a restore DVD.

If you need to reinstall Panther it will be likely that you have to install 10.2 again... i wouldnt worry too much about encountering a big enough problem to reinstall 10.2 from scratch but if it does happen then it will be a pain in the butt to re-install, but remember its a FREE upgrade to 10.3 either way so in my opinion its worth it.

There is not a "Full Install" option listed under the installer but it will defiently let you erase the drive and then install 10.3.
Its not the fact that life is fact, but that life itself is a fact of the unknown....

ebernet
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 21, 2003, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
While at first glance, this might not be a serious issue, I would prefer if all future OS updates didn't limit you in this way if you buy a new machine to get the cheap vrs. See, I got the Jag "update" disc, and I was hoping I would be able to get a full Panther vrs. even with the $20 one. Now I'll have to install 10.1, then Jag, then Panther, every time I reinstall.
This would imply you did not get your Panther upgrade validly. The only way to get the $20 upgrade would be if you bought a machine on or after the 8th, which would have a full Jag install CD/DVD

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 21, 2003, 02:24 AM

Correct me if I am wrong but on the "upgrade" page for $20 it does not say 10.2 is required. If it does say that Jaguar IS required could someone point it out?
It would seem strange to make a different release than what is to be sold on friday.

coolmacdude
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by ebernet:
This would imply you did not get your Panther upgrade validly. The only way to get the $20 upgrade would be if you bought a machine on or after the 8th, which would have a full Jag install CD/DVD
Doh! You're right. Yes I did get another Jag disc.
I was rather out of it that night.
2.16 Ghz Core 2 Macbook, 3GB Ram, 120 GB

djjava
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 02:55 PM

Originally posted by coolmacdude:
Doh! You're right. Yes I did get another Jag disc.
I was rather out of it that night.
getting a bit excited for the Panther party are we?
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Lorinserbenz  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 22, 2003, 03:27 PM

Yes i have my sleeping bag ready....

Forum Links
Forum Rules