Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Is my superdrive about to die?

Is my superdrive about to die?
:XI:
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 05:32 PM

Whenever I put my powermac to sleep, the draw on the superdrive opens all the way, then closes just before sleep.
I've only seen this kind of behaviour on two other drives, cd-rw and a dvd-rom (both in PCs) both died not long after.

It's a 2002 Quicksilver 933 with the stock apple superdrive, no mods or crap. I'm starting to wish i'd bought applecare

tr
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2003, 10:32 PM

how are you putting your comptuer to sleep? by keystroke, like control-eject? i was thinking maybe that's why the drive ejects. never heard of such behaviour.

anyway, if the drive dies, just get one of these . it's probably less than any apple repair.

tr

:XI:  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 24, 2003, 12:57 PM

I usually use the button on the display (cinema). It's only done it twice so far, I'll keep my eyes on it. As for the drive, ew! beige?
Do they come in black?

saru boy
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 25, 2003, 02:21 AM

Originally posted by :XI::
I usually use the button on the display (cinema). It's only done it twice so far, I'll keep my eyes on it. As for the drive, ew! beige?
Do they come in black?
Yep, for $138 here.

:XI:  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 09:37 AM

Thanks Saru Boy, I'll look for a black bezelled unit if/when it fails.
Also, My mac crashed and since the reboot it hasn't happened, maybe it was something screwed in the software. I don't know, I'll just watch for it happening. Thanks for the help

Forum Links
Forum Rules