Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > HD Catalog/Allocation Problems

HD Catalog/Allocation Problems
Joshua
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2000, 03:57 PM

I'm having a world of trouble with my Mac today. The machine bombed while I was doing a search with Sherlock, and when I rebooted I was no longer able to use my main Macintosh HD, and all the files/aliases on the desktop had vanished.

The computer boots just fine from the drive, and using Sherlock and the Apple Menu I can access files from the drive without a problem, but if I try to open (double-click) the drive itself, or do anything that involves listing the directory for the drive, the computer freezes up.

I tried rebuilding the desktop, but it won't let me rebuild the Macintosh HD desktop; I tried zapping the PRAM and it seems to do nothing. When I finally did a Volume Structure Test with a Tech Tool Pro, the drive failed the catalog and allocation tests. I tried to rebuild the drive using Tech Tool Pro, but it was going to reduce me from 2920 folders on the drive to 11, which would mean I'd have roughly 35,000 files in the root directory, rather than divided up into their proper locations.

I'm at a loss at this point as to what to do next. The only thing I can think of is to try to find some way to backup all my files and just reinitialize the drive, but I'd like to avoid that if possible.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Josh
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Cipher13
Dec 29, 2000, 08:19 PM

Try DiskWarrior to get your disk back to normal... it does a better job than TechTool.
But... you're gonna have to format that to get it back to normal
Sorry...

Cipher13

Joshua  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2000, 01:53 AM

I ended up backing up what I could and formatting, and everything seems to be back to normal now. Does anyone have any idea what causes the catalog to be corrupted? I'd definitely like to avoid it in the future if at all possible...

Josh
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 31, 2000, 04:09 AM

Most directory damage is caused by a system crash. Application crashes often corrupt their own preference files, that is why throwing out preference files is a common answer to problems. A system crash while writing to the HD almost guarantees that the HD will be left in an incomplete state.

Turning your Mac off by unplugging it will do the same thing if your Mac is writing to disk at the time. Always shut down properly via the menus if you can. If you can't, run Disk First Aid or other utility right afterwards. The more you use a damaged disk, generally the worse it is going to get.

Forum Links
Forum Rules