Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Way To Connect iBook 600 To Sony WEGA TV?

Best Way To Connect iBook 600 To Sony WEGA TV?
Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 01:08 PM

Man, I have had no luck getting a straight answer to this question...So I'm hoping the more experienced users on this forum can provide it!

I have a 24" Sony WEGA TV with an S-video port available. The RCA ports are used to connect to an AV receiver and cable box.

I would like to be able to connect the iBook to the S-video port and use the iBook audio-out port to connect to the AV receiver, or at least I think I would like to do it this way... I essentially want to be able to get both audio and video from the iBook to my sound/audio system.

So is this the way to do it? Or is there a better and/or less expensive way? And no matter how I wind up doing it, which cable(s) do I need and where might I find them?

Will DVD playback look decent? I am primarily looking forward to running Macthuga; watching it on my 17" Sony monitor just doesn't make it when I want to kick-back.

skalie
Mac Elite
Apr 3, 2002, 01:26 PM

I posted a question over at the dv forum about the white cable that is available as an accessory.
http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/ulti...c&f=9&t=002485

I haven't bought one yet, but I'm planning to, I have an adapter that will convert it to a scart cable and I am planning to plug that into a video recorder, and eventually a TV.

Hope that helps in some way.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2002, 02:00 PM

Originally posted by Mojo:
[QB]
I would like to be able to connect the iBook to the S-video port and use the iBook audio-out port to connect to the AV receiver, or at least I think I would like to do it this way... I essentially want to be able to get both audio and video from the iBook to my sound/audio system.
/QB]
Is
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....30.10.21.13.0

this what you're looking for?

I used to use my iBook for DVD playback at home but have given up and bought a "proper" one - better picture quality (YMMV) and the joys of a proper remote control

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 02:06 PM

That Apple AV cable may be the only way to go... I was hoping that the iBook VGA port could be used with the S-video port on the TV so that I could run audio cables to my AV receiver. If I use the Apple AV cable then I will have to unplug some RCA plugs on the back of the TV, which isn't that bad since it is relatively small and it swivels on the TV stand.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 3, 2002, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Mojo:
[QB]
/QB]
Is
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL....30.10.21.13.0

this what you're looking for?

I used to use my iBook for DVD playback at home but have given up and bought a "proper" one - better picture quality (YMMV) and the joys of a proper remote control

Mojo  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 3, 2002, 02:39 PM

I just ordered the Apple AV cable...It seems like the easiest/cheapest way to go since I have no idea if I will wind up using the iBook with the TV very much.

Forum Links
Forum Rules