Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > What do you think of this statement?

What do you think of this statement?
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 09:45 PM

We've got a lot of rebuilding to do. First, we're going to save lives and stabilize the situation. And then we're going to help these communities rebuild. The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0050902-2.html

Poor Trent Lott! He lost his entire house!

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...0050902-2.html

Poor Trent Lott! He lost his entire house!
Rubble is singular AND plural.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 10:59 PM

Just for the sake of transparency here:

I'm trying to see if a Republican will actually say "hmmm... that wasn't a terribly smart thing to say, no clue why that is on the White House website either".

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 4, 2005, 11:06 PM

dammit, mojo2 beat me to it.

sminch

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 11:09 PM

What, besides the grammatical error, is your problem with this statement?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by zerostar
What, besides the grammatical error, is your problem with this statement?
Of all the damage done, what comes to his mind is how this affects some rich white guy?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 11:21 PM

I think he was trying to pull out some personal example, using someone he actually knows. Perhaps not the best way of going about it, but I suppose it's worth a point or two for effort. Certainly not for style, though.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 11:22 PM

Would it be better if he was rich and black?

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Millennium
I think he was trying to pull out some personal example, using someone he actually knows. Perhaps not the best way of going about it, but I suppose it's worth a point or two for effort. Certainly not for style, though.
Exactly.

They would accuse him of pandering to black people, trying to get their support. And then bash him for the fact that he was rich.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 11:28 PM

Right... We all fumble with our words from time to time, that is understandable. Still a little weird for the president to say something like this with all of his political eggshell walking training, but I'm now used to Bush's way with words

What I found particularly strange was why this was on the White House website? I would have thought that at a time like this, the White House would go to great depths to achieve a brilliant sense of style. Know what I mean?

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 11:30 PM

No, it would be better if he acknowledged the hundreds/thousands of poor blacks and whites before acknowledging the incredibly profound losses of the rich (black or white).

I'm sort of confused why only Millenium has seen what I've seen so far... oh well, I guess we won't be breaking with our party this time.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 11:46 PM

Just for the sake of transparency here:

I'm trying to see if a Republican will actually say "hmmm... that wasn't a terribly smart thing to say, no clue why that is on the White House website either".
WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU????? Meaningless displays of emotion are so important to you, I swear!

WTF are you trying to say? Just say it and stop trying to be so damn Canadian!
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

zerostar
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 11:46 PM

No, it would be better if he acknowledged the hundreds/thousands of poor blacks and whites before acknowledging the incredibly profound losses of the rich (black or white).
True, but he did mention the entire area and how it would be rebuilt. That was mentioned first, the rest seems like nit-picking.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
WHY IS THIS SO IMPORTANT TO YOU????? Meaningless displays of emotion are so important to you, I swear!

Hehhe... irony, anybody?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 4, 2005, 11:51 PM

Right... We all fumble with our words from time to time, that is understandable. Still a little weird for the president to say something like this with all of his political eggshell walking training, but I'm now used to Bush's way with words

What I found particularly strange was why this was on the White House website? I would have thought that at a time like this, the White House would go to great depths to achieve a brilliant sense of style. Know what I mean?
That's your problem.

You don't think like Americans. You don't think like Conservatives. You don't think like the President or his staff. Wake up to that fact and maybe you'll feel better.

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 11:54 PM

True, but he did mention the entire area and how it would be rebuilt. That was mentioned first, the rest seems like nit-picking.
It is, but we live in a day and age of political correctness. There are things you don't expect a president to say. That is my point - just finding this statement odd.

Since so many people don't feel like me, I guess I'm either strange, or people are feeling defensive. At any rate, to go on about this would be nitpicking, so I'll stop.

Just wanted to see how you guys would react, how this came across to you....

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Sep 4, 2005, 11:56 PM

That's your problem.

You don't think like Americans. You don't think like Conservatives. You don't think like the President or his staff. Wake up to that fact and maybe you'll feel better.
I'm sorry for thinking. Maybe I'll think somewhere else where I won't be put in my place like this.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 12:07 AM

I'm sorry for thinking. Maybe I'll think somewhere else where I won't be put in my place like this.

loki74
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 12:13 AM

Just wanted to see how you guys would react, how this came across to you....
I think the general feeling is either "dont really care," or "good intention, poor delivery." And its not like Bush is renowned for having perfect delivery... I mean, he made fun of himself for that in one of his speeches for crying out loud.

What reaction were you expecting? What reaction did you want?

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by loki74
I think the general feeling is either "dont really care," or "good intention, poor delivery." And its not like Bush is renowned for having perfect delivery... I mean, he made fun of himself for that in one of his speeches for crying out loud.

What reaction were you expecting? What reaction did you want?
I think he wants to keep parading evidence before us of W doing something or another wrong in hopes that we'll either admit he did bad or point out that we are really Bush fanboys and don't care what Bush does wrong we will defend him no matter what.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 07:16 AM

If what you say is true, I think that his comment is really inappropriate. But then he does not have to be reelected again, right?

This is the part of a disaster that is the worst; politicians making fools of themselves with declarations that aim to be inspired and driven. That one failed miserably imo.

Hopefully it was quoted out of "context".
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2005, 09:30 AM

We've got a lot of rebuilding to do. First, we're going to save lives and stabilize the situation. And then we're going to help these communities rebuild. The good news is -- and it's hard for some to see it now -- that out of this chaos is going to come a fantastic Gulf Coast, like it was before. Out of the rubbles of Trent Lott's house -- he's lost his entire house -- there's going to be a fantastic house. And I'm looking forward to sitting on the porch. (Laughter.)

It's on the White House website because only the hyper-critical of Bush will find a problem with it. The hyper-critical include the fringe element represented only by those like Michael Moore whose eyes move to and fro looking for anything they can find to use against Bush whether justified or not. The rest of the level-headed, under 500lb. human race find absolutely nothing wrong with the statement.
ebuddy

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy

It's on the White House website because only the hyper-critical of Bush will find a problem with it. The hyper-critical include the fringe element represented only by those like Michael Moore whose eyes move to and fro looking for anything they can find to use against Bush whether justified or not. The rest of the level-headed, under 500lb. human race find absolutely nothing wrong with the statement.
Now that I think about it again it seems like he's using that as a metaphor and leading us in thinking the right way.

The destruction today will one day be a memory and we must quickly turn to the task and the thought of rebuilding and keeping in mind our goal of one day being past this tragedy and believing we'll be sitting on our own, figurative, porches.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 5, 2005, 10:07 AM

I don't personally like Trent Lott for a number of reasons. But this is a good example of how EVERYONE in the area was seriously affected.

My alma mater is likely gone because of Katrina. The Biloxi area, where I lived in for almost ten years, is unrecognizable. I spent those years assigned to Keesler AFB, which is still staggering and is basically evacuating everyone they possibly can. It will be a very long time before the base is functional at all-and their mission is training people.

Really, I'm just staggered, both by the scope of the catastrophe and the immense IDIOCY I see in people squabbling about something as silly as a slip of the tongue. GET THE HELL OVER POLITICS UNTIL THE PEOPLE IN THE DISASTER AREAS ARE TAKEN CARE OF.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 10:09 AM

This statement shows just how out of touch our little trust fund presidents is. Put it next to the statement he made about visiting NO and having fun, maybe "too much fun" and you have a grade A certified dipshiit on your hands.

mercuryjones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 10:26 AM

I'm curious as to what exactly that President Bush could say, that would make you folks that constintly harp on every single word that come sout of his mouth, happy? I mean, realistically. I'm well aware that plenty of you are going to come up with what you think are funny or clever answers, but I'd like to hear something serious from you.

If you can't come up with anything serious, then STFU, and let's get to helping those people affected by this disaster. Picking apart the current President or administration does nothing but take away from the rescue and rebuild eforts.

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by mercuryjones
I'm curious as to what exactly that President Bush could say, that would make you folks that constintly harp on every single word that come sout of his mouth, happy? I mean, realistically. I'm well aware that plenty of you are going to come up with what you think are funny or clever answers, but I'd like to hear something serious from you.

If you can't come up with anything serious, then STFU, and let's get to helping those people affected by this disaster. Picking apart the current President or administration does nothing but take away from the rescue and rebuild eforts.

I'm consistently critical of the federal government, of which, George W. Bush is the president. Republican and Democrat alike should be blasted for the national response in the immediate hours following the hurricane. To call it poor is an understatement.

What could George Bush say?

Easy:

- Note the devestation
- Aknolwedge the poor initial efforts of the federal government
- Offer condolences
- Promise swift action and deliver on the promise

He's said much of this but ( a little late in the opinion of millions ), in a way only a complete idiot could muster, he made jokes about his heavy party days in New Orleans and drinking lemonade on Trent Lott's deck. What kind of a person thinks that saying such things to poor people who've just lost everything – including family members in some instances, is right? It was a crass and tasteless fashion in which to address the situation.

It comes down to decency, compassion and class – none of which are attributes that George W. Bush can claim.

mercuryjones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 10:47 AM

So, he's said everything that you want him to say, but he's adlibbed a few things (stupidly, I agree).

Not everyone is an elequent speaker, and not everyone gets the point across the way they wish they could (myself incuded).

Just seems to me that there's so much hatred going on right now, when we should all be coming together and taking care of the problems in front of us, instead of constantly creating new ones.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2005, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by art_director
It comes down to decency, compassion and class – none of which are attributes that George W. Bush can claim.
How could he have any decency, compassion, and class when there's none left? You seemed to have taken it all to yourself with your posts.
ebuddy

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy
How could he have any decency, compassion, and class when there's none left? You seemed to have taken it all to yourself with your posts.
Blah, blah, blah, blaggh.

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by mercuryjones
So, he's said everything that you want him to say, but he's adlibbed a few things (stupidly, I agree).

Not everyone is an elequent speaker, and not everyone gets the point across the way they wish they could (myself incuded).

Just seems to me that there's so much hatred going on right now, when we should all be coming together and taking care of the problems in front of us, instead of constantly creating new ones.
Yes, there's a lot of hatred – most of it hatred for a government that failed hundreds of thousands of people, which, if you think about it, is justified. That said you're right, there are big challenges ahead.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 10:57 AM

Yes, there's a lot of hatred – most of it hatred for a government that failed hundreds of thousands of people, which, if you think about it, is justified. That said you're right, there are big challenges ahead.
I'm betting you won't really spontaneously combust from your burning hatred of President Bush. Anyone want to bet me?

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 10:59 AM

I'm betting you won't really spontaneously combust from your burning hatred of President Bush. Anyone want to bet me?
I don't hate George Bush. In fact, I voted for him in 2000 – I apologize for that, BTW.

I do hate the actions / inactions of the current administration and believe the world will be better off when he departs Washington DC for the last time.

mercuryjones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 11:01 AM

Seems to me that the local government failed the people first. A mandatory evacuation should have menat a MANDATORY eveacuation, leaving on the the necessary people left in town to run cleanup and rescue operations. If, at that point, they were unable to handle this, then they should have stepped up and asked for help.

Just looking back on what has happened, the people there in NO figured it wasn't warranted (along with the local officials), and decided to "ride" it out. Maybe next time (if there is a next time), they'll pay better attention. That said, I agree that the federal organizations have a poor showing on this disaster, and I hope that they definately step up this search and rescue mission, and get NO cleaned up as soon as possible. The longer this drags on, the more time people will have to nitpick the whole ordeal, and that won't be good for any involved.

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 11:05 AM

No doubt the local officials fooked up. Then the federal officials fooked up. The entire mess is a pathetic commentary on our system, or lack thereof.

art_director
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 11:07 AM

Should add...

There's not a local government, state or city, that could handle a disaster of this magnitude. It goes without saying that the federal government will need to be invloved when tradgedies like this occur. So, for the federal government and the White House, to point fingers is inaccurate. They should admit fault and move to make it better.

mercuryjones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 11:19 AM

I beg to differ. I think that the local officials had the best idea of what was going to happen and what needed to be done, including where they needed to concentrate their efforts to get the most people out of there in the least amount of time. The fact that they called for a MANDATORY evacuation, and then let people sit there, is a monumental failure.

However, it is so much easier to rant and rave that the federal government should have done something, instead of taking to task those that were elected to take care of the area. If I was there (and I almost ended up moving there), I would have been pissed at my local officials first, and then worked my way up, but would realize that this would accomplish nothing, and set about to fixing what needed to be fixed.

cavepainter
Sep 5, 2005, 02:16 PM

"I look forward to the day when the citizens of New Orleans can sit on THEIR porches, and drink lemonade."

You don't think Lott's lot will 'recover' faster/better than the great unwashed?

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 5, 2005, 04:32 PM

Most of the front porches in New Orleans are just underwater. About a third of the front porches in Mississippi are GONE. Trent Lott is from Mississippi, remember?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2005, 06:44 PM

THANK YOU!

for saying what we're all thinking.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 5, 2005, 06:48 PM

Should add...

There's not a local government, state or city, that could handle a disaster of this magnitude. It goes without saying that the federal government will need to be invloved when tradgedies like this occur. So, for the federal government and the White House, to point fingers is inaccurate. They should admit fault and move to make it better.
you wish.

The tide has turned, dontcha know.

It appears as if the blame has now shifted to the inept mayor and governor. Both Democrats, as if we didn't already suspect as much.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 5, 2005, 07:18 PM

Should add...

There's not a local government, state or city, that could handle a disaster of this magnitude. It goes without saying that the federal government will need to be invloved when tradgedies like this occur.
Indeed, and a clear process has been outlined for how that should happen, one designed for maximum effectiveness by putting locals in command, so that the ones making decisions would have the best possible familiarity with the affected region and the types of disasters which can occur there. That process, however,l was not followed. Certain officials in Louisiana wanted to treat FEMA as a magical cavalry, not a tool for them to use. We now see the results of that.
So, for the federal government and the White House, to point fingers is inaccurate. They should admit fault and move to make it better.
Why are they at fault for decisions they did not make?
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by cavepainter
"I look forward to the day when the citizens of New Orleans can sit on THEIR porches, and drink lemonade."

You don't think Lott's lot will 'recover' faster/better than the great unwashed?
Do you think LOTT's porch will be the first one fixed?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Sep 5, 2005, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Spliffdaddy
THANK YOU!

for saying what we're all thinking.
Just between you and I...

Even though it does reflect my own sentiments I must admit I had you in mind when I posted that.

Really.

cavepainter
Sep 5, 2005, 10:13 PM

Somebody invent the "Trent Lott lot countdown" timer.

He's connected. He's rich.. Yes, he's from Missisisippi...but he's not in the same 'boat' as the folks who the Pres. should be addressing in this kind of statement. THAT's the point.

Let me know when the good Mr. Lott's lot has improved...and then compare to the general state of affairs across the Gulf region for the common folk.

Jeez!

Forum Links
Forum Rules