Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Caliberate Battery

Caliberate Battery
idyll
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 09:54 PM

To make a long story short.. I bought a 12" Powerbook off of someone on eBay and have just received it.. Everything is great (no dead pixels, hinge works like a charm, and it's in a new conditon), I'm just not quite sure if the previous owner had caliberated the battery so I'm wondering if it would be safe to do it again. I emailed the owner asking him this question but two days have passed and he still hasn't answered me. He did mention that he had used this PowerBook for three days before sending it off to me..

Anyway, when I received this beauty the battery was at 0% and it just finished charging up (five minutes or so ago). Does that mean that he had caliberated it? And if he has not, would it be safe for me to do it right now? Thank you very much..

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
To make a long story short.. I bought a 12" Powerbook off of someone on eBay and have just received it.. Everything is great (no dead pixels, hinge works like a charm, and it's in a new conditon), I'm just not quite sure if the previous owner had caliberated the battery so I'm wondering if it would be safe to do it again. I emailed the owner asking him this question but two days have passed and he still hasn't answered me. He did mention that he had used this PowerBook for three days before sending it off to me..

Anyway, when I received this beauty the battery was at 0% and it just finished charging up (five minutes or so ago). Does that mean that he had caliberated it? And if he has not, would it be safe for me to do it right now? Thank you very much..
Perfectly safe - if in doubt that it's been done, do it! There's nothing wrong with repeatedly fully charging/discharging the battery - the "conditioning" procedure is recommended because most people otherwise wouldn't even do it once!

iBorg

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Feb 17, 2003, 09:59 PM

Yeah it will be safe... some people do it every month or so for some reason.

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 10:32 PM

So I can just unplug the little power plug on the side? It's charged at 100% right now. Just making sure.. Or will I have to turn the machine off, unplug the plug, and then turn it on again?

iBorg
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 17, 2003, 10:36 PM

Originally posted by idyll:
So I can just unplug the little power plug on the side? It's charged at 100% right now. Just making sure.. Or will I have to turn the machine off, unplug the plug, and then turn it on again?
Plug/unplug anytime, running, asleep or off - it doesn't matter.

I frequently run my battery all the way down when I want absolute quiet, since my fans mainly run when on AC.

iBorg

idyll  (op)
Senior User
Feb 17, 2003, 10:38 PM

Thank you . This is my first laptop and I'd just like to stay on the safe side. I love this forum.. and the whole mac community. Thanks once again!

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 18, 2003, 07:02 PM

congrats on your new machine!

l�k
iron sharpens iron

Forum Links
Forum Rules