Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Can't re-install Palm Desktop 2.6.3

Can't re-install Palm Desktop 2.6.3
indigo
Jan 16, 2002, 11:53 PM

I decided to test out the Palm 4 Beta for OS X on my G3 Firewire Powerbook (OS 10.1.2, 512 MB RAM), but gave up on it after I was unable to hotsync. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall version 2.6.3 for OS 9. At the end of the installation process I got a message stating that installation failed. I've tried to reinstall under 9.2.2 and and 10.1.2, but I get the same installation failure error message. I've tried to remove everything that I could that was installed by Palm 2.6.3, but I can't get the installation to complete.

Any ideas on how to get Palm Desktop 2.6.3 to install after removing the Palm 4 Beta?

ko
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2002, 12:14 AM

I have a similar problen. After installing and later uninstalling the OSX Palm Beta software, I was able to install 2.6.3, but the hotsync won't work, because Palm Desktop cannot create a User Data. Perhaps the beta screwed up the privileges. I searched for any hidden files, but can't find any. I'm at a complete loss, currently waiting fro a reply from palm. This is really bad. Any ideas?

iMacguy
Jan 21, 2002, 04:57 PM

I too have tried the Palm OS X Beta with mixed results. It often opens without any data in my user profile and requires a reinstallation to function. I know that it's a beta so I understand the consequences, however, I am unable to use a prior version of the software. When I try to merge my data back to an OS 9 friendly version the software won't allow it to happen. I'm sort of caught now having to reinstall the beta every time I have a problem. That is, of course until the final release is available. Anybody know when that's expectec?

[ 01-21-2002: Message edited by: iMacguy ]
"These are not the droids you're looking for"

Forum Links
Forum Rules