Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari "look" for Firefox ?

Safari "look" for Firefox ?
zzarg
Forum Regular
Mar 6, 2005, 08:47 PM

Hi y'all....

just wondering if anyone knew of a Safari 'look' available to make Firefox look a little less ugly on OSX ?

At the moment I like the Panther "look" of Safari but I'm having to use Firefox more to access a couple of sites requiring authentication (have tried a bunch of workarounds to no avail) but think Firefox looks too like the old Netscape browser... and that look hasn't got much better since 4.0 and that was u-g-l-y !

Mike S.
Senior User
Mar 6, 2005, 10:46 PM

As that Emeril guy is fond of saying, BAM!

I should not that I've never tried it so I have no first hand experience regarding it's look and feel.

Truepop
Mac Elite
Mar 6, 2005, 11:31 PM

it's just a preference but I think firefox looks more OS X than safari does.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2005, 11:32 PM

I prefer these themes to the one Mike S. linked to, but if you really like brushed metal then go for it.

In addition, you can make the widgets look nicer with my own Firefoxy.

zzarg  (op)
Forum Regular
Mar 7, 2005, 03:27 AM

Huzzah! indeed !

GrApple and Firefoxy make Firefox look sweet !

Still think Safari manages to look nicer (for some reason fonts seem to render a little better... or am I going mad ?), but I suspect it's because I'm so used to it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2005, 03:36 AM

I erroneously opined: It's not your imagination. Firefox does not use font smoothing, at least not yet.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Mar 7, 2005 at 03:53 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 03:40 AM

Originally posted by Big Mac:
It's not your imagination. Firefox does not use font smoothing, at least not yet.
That's a complete lie. I'm using Firefox right now, and the forum text is antialiased. The difference is that Gecko renders with QuickDraw, not Quartz, so it doesn't always look quite as good. Also, screen fonts are intentionally left unsmoothed because that's the whole point of screen fonts.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2005, 03:53 AM

Originally posted by wataru:
That's a complete lie. I'm using Firefox right now, and the forum text is antialiased. The difference is that Gecko renders with QuickDraw, not Quartz, so it doesn't always look quite as good. Also, screen fonts are intentionally left unsmoothed because that's the whole point of screen fonts.
I suppose I was wrong. It was a mistake, wataru, not a lie; you are entirely too eager to jump down people's throats, IMO. Safari's rendering is still superior, whether or not it's a question of smoothing.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2005, 04:00 AM

You're right, I apologize. But it's very obvious just by looking at the screen that fonts are indeed antialiased in Firefox. Personally I don't find Safari's rendering to be much more attractive, if at all.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2005, 07:17 AM

Hey, wataru, thank you. . . just a simple miscommunication

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2005, 10:55 AM

In addition, you can make the widgets look nicer with my own Firefoxy. [/B]
First thing I did after download firefox, thanks wataru

Sophus
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2005, 01:11 PM

I prefer these themes to the one Mike S. linked to, but if you really like brushed metal then go for it.

In addition, you can make the widgets look nicer with my own Firefoxy.
Firefoxy fixed one of my gripes with Firefox, the really bu%%-ugly 1993-ish widgets. Why isn't it included as default?

Sophus

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2005, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by Sophus:
Firefoxy fixed one of my gripes with Firefox, the really bu%%-ugly 1993-ish widgets. Why isn't it included as default?

Sophus
My only guess is that it was overlooked. I thought I heard they'll be including nicer default styles later, perhaps for the fabled Mac overhaul release somewhere down the line.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2005, 05:30 PM

I prefer these themes
Ooh, nice. Where have these been all my life? Thank you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules