Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Panther doesn't support all Laserwriter features?

Panther doesn't support all Laserwriter features?
chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 12:03 PM

I can't get Panther to send output from my Laserjet 4siMX printer to the lower (straight-through) tray, even though I tell it to in the Finishing pane of the Print dialog. I thought for the longest time that my printer might be broken but today I learned that if I take the printer offline and print a test page, it will come out whichever tray I've selected on the printer's front panel.

So it looks like the Laserjet driver in Panther simply honoring the selection I've chosen in the Print dialog. Can anyone confirm the same problem with their setup?

Maybe Tiger will have a new driver.

Chris

romeosc
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 10:38 PM

My HP 5050N works fine by airport!

larkost
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 10:58 PM

The usual culprit for this sort of thing is that the tray is mis-assigned a paper type. This can either be in the printers menu, or on a little rotating roller on the front (hard to describe). Then you also should check the paper type that you are sending from the computer. I ran into this before and it was frustrating until I realized this.

Oh... and make sure that you have the options correctly selected in the printer driver (select printer in print center, get info, and then switch tabs).

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2005, 11:01 PM

I appreciate the ideas. The printer options are set correctly and the trays are all good. I think the Print dialog just isn't sending the command. Perhaps Tiger's newer drivers will fix it.

Chris

OreoCookie
Apr 22, 2005, 04:47 AM

First of all, there is no real driver, it's a postscript printer and hence, you use the same `driver' on all platforms, Linux, Mac, Windows.

I would suggest that the paper sizes somehow are messed up so that the printer chooses another tray instead.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
First of all, there is no real driver, it's a postscript printer and hence, you use the same `driver' on all platforms, Linux, Mac, Windows.

I would suggest that the paper sizes somehow are messed up so that the printer chooses another tray instead.
You are correct in a sense but all printers have a PPD, which is unique to each printer as they all have different functions. Ie the PPD for a 12/640 for 10.3 is different for 10.4 as the latter has support for straight through printing. I would suggest booting into 9/classic to see if you still have the problem. Tiger obviously will have new drivers so, wait until Friday if you get no joy.

OreoCookie
Apr 22, 2005, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by jock
You are correct in a sense but all printers have a PPD, which is unique to each printer as they all have different functions. Ie the PPD for a 12/640 for 10.3 is different for 10.4 as the latter has support for straight through printing. I would suggest booting into 9/classic to see if you still have the problem. Tiger obviously will have new drivers so, wait until Friday if you get no joy.
Then download the latest driver from HP (for Windows, yuck), extract the ppd and use it.

It's an old (and virtually indestructible) printer, so I don't know how good/bad HP's support really is.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Apr 22, 2005 at 07:31 AM. )

jock
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 22, 2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
Then download the latest driver from HP (for Windows, yuck), extract the ppd and use it.

It's an old (and virtually indestructible) printer, so I don't know how good/bad HP's support really is.
Really useful information for Chris...
Chris the latest drivers are dated March 11th for your printer from HP, give it a try and post back how you got on.

OreoCookie
Apr 22, 2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by jock
Really useful information for Chris...
Chris the latest drivers are dated March 11th for your printer from HP, give it a try and post back how you got on.
Well, if you inspect the included .ppd file, it seems to be revised in 2001 for the last time.

chabig  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 22, 2005, 05:20 PM

Thanks all. I just downloaded and installed the latest software from HP. Although it looks unchanged from the last version, it did install a newer PPD as far as I can tell. Also, I think it replaced the "Finishing" plugin, which controls the user selection of output tray.

And...it works fine now. The paper comes out the selected tray.

Chris

Forum Links
Forum Rules