Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > No IP address using Microsoft MN-700 router

No IP address using Microsoft MN-700 router
adamtki
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 02:44 AM

Hi,

Does anyone else have a problem with Tiger and Microsoft MN-700 router? I can't get an IP address. I tried wired and wireless. The problem happened after I upgraded to Tiger from 10.3.9. Right now, I'm connected directly to my DSL modem, but it sure is a pain having to go without wireless.

Adam
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

milhous
Mac Elite
May 8, 2005, 03:55 AM

a friend of mine was having trouble with his dlink router after the 10.4 upgrade. according to him, the solution in that case was to shorten the computer's network name and make it less than 20 characters. Again, my friend's told me this so I can't verify it myself.

to do this:

system preferences >> sharing >> computer name

just make it a short name, say 8 characters. save and reboot. i'd be curious to see how this turns out. it's interesting that it seems to only affect some vendors and not the others. i run linksys stuff and everything runs great. good luck.
F = ma

ghporter
Administrator
May 8, 2005, 11:19 AM

I'm tempted to say that Microsoft's wireless equipment is "less than completely standards compliant," and that this is your problem. I believe they've even gotten out of the networking hardware business, so it's unlikely that you'll find updates that bring the hardware into full compliance with current standards.

I haven't gotten Tiger yet (I'm waiting for the begining of the summer semester so I can get it at a lower student price), so I can't say if this is something about Tiger or not. However, I have seen other people's issues with upgrading software and then having problems with their networks, particularly wireless networks, and milhous' advice has a pretty solid track record.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

adamtki  (op)
Forum Regular
May 8, 2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by milhous
a friend of mine was having trouble with his dlink router after the 10.4 upgrade. according to him, the solution in that case was to shorten the computer's network name and make it less than 20 characters. Again, my friend's told me this so I can't verify it myself.

to do this:

system preferences >> sharing >> computer name

just make it a short name, say 8 characters. save and reboot. i'd be curious to see how this turns out. it's interesting that it seems to only affect some vendors and not the others. i run linksys stuff and everything runs great. good luck.
THAT WORKED!

Thanks. The strange thing was that when I tried to type in a new computer name, it wouldn't let me type in more than 1 character. It kept highlighting my computer name after each character I type.

Another thing to note was that my computer name was "Adam Kim's Computer.local" So adding that ".local" took it over the 20 characters. This is the default setting and I'm sure most people's name will cause the default computer name to over 20 characters. I don't know why the problem only happens with certain routers.

But I'm happy now. I can surf the net and post stuff like this from the comfort of my living room.
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules