Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Have you ever been a victem of an ipod jacking? (or attempted)

Have you ever been a victem of an ipod jacking? (or attempted)
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 07:14 PM

I was walking down the street today listening to my ipod when I was confronted by some punk who first asked for a smoke, then said "gimme your ipod". Luckily he wasn't armed and I was the same size as the guy, so I laughed at him and kept walking. If he had a weapon, I might not have been so lucky. The sad part is, this was during broad daylight on a busy street about noonish. Are people really this desperate for money/mp3 players? Have any of you had similar experiences or actually been jacked of your ipod? I've heard news reports of this happening, just wondering if any of you have had something similar happen.

It's a sad situation that society has become this bad. My town isn't even that big (approx. 90k) and has a fairly low crime rate.

Please, share your experiences and or thoughts.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 07:21 PM

I head it is a real problem in England, they even advise you don't wear white headphones.

At any rate you should have called the cops.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 22, 2005, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker
I head it is a real problem in England, they even advise you don't wear white headphones.

At any rate you should have called the cops.
It wasn't that big of a deal really. If he had of pulled a weapon, then yes I would have called the cops, or beat his head in.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 22, 2005, 07:37 PM

They seem to be easy to run by and grab. Best to keep out of easy grabbing.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 07:46 PM

i haven't been a victim or am i worried about it, i worry about my wife riding the bus with her shuffle though, crazy people ride the bus (including my wife)

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ambush
Banned
Sep 22, 2005, 07:56 PM

no -- but they'll get a taste of my silver coated IMI-Desert Eagle if they try to

YO.

(joking...)

In montréal I see about 50 white earphones on my ride to school (subway+bus)

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 22, 2005, 08:09 PM

I would crack someone's teeth out on first mention of them wanting my iPod.

Chances are high that I'm listening to something empowering at the time as well.

Poor iPod-jacker... he didn't stand a chance.
ice

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 08:09 PM

No one has tried to steal my iPod. But in France like 4 years ago, some 8 year old kid tried to steal my new Yepp. I accidentally elbowed him in the face while trying to grab it back from him.. he ran off crying. I felt good.

Mister Elf
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 22, 2005, 08:18 PM

Attempted, yeah...unfortunately for him it was at a JROTC event where we were all carrying Garands. Now, obviously, they're demilitarized, but the would-be thief didn't know that. He started digging through my stuff, pulled out my 'Pod, and started to put it in a pocket. At this point i turned around, noticed this, and within 3 seconds my squad had every weapon they were carrying pointed at the guy. He put it down fast...unfortunately when we lowered our weapons he turned away, so no police report. Poo.
Midshipman 3/C, USNR

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2005, 08:31 PM

I had my Dell DJ Ditty stolen...there again, it took 3 weeks with a sign on the front of it that said "Steal me, I'm cool" before it was gone.

ambush
Banned
Sep 22, 2005, 08:32 PM

^hahahahahaha

alligator
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2005, 09:16 PM

I thought you were going to say they threw the Ditty back at you once they realized it wasn't an iPod.

tracemhunter
Forum Regular
Sep 22, 2005, 09:27 PM

i was doing some crunches at the gym so i took my ipod out of my pocket because it was going to fall out anyway and when i went to another part of the gym i remembered and looked back and someone picked it up and put it in his pocket. i went up to him and told him that was mine. he acted like he didnt know what i was talking about and then i told him to empty his pockets and give me my ipod back. he emptied his pockets and there was my ipod and then he pulled the whole "i was going to turn it in to lost and found" thing. whatever.

Forum Links
Forum Rules