Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Can't burn 102meg file because 80minutes

Can't burn 102meg file because 80minutes
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2005, 07:15 PM

I have an aiff file that in Preview is 102MB. The duration is 01:20:54. I understand that a regular cd cannot hold more than 79 minutes of stereo hi fidelity sound. As you can see from the data, my file is a lo fi digitally recorded speech. It seems to me that the duration takes precedence over the reality of the 'number of bits' which is still 102 mb to be burned on a disk that has 701mb available. Tried Toast, Dragon, i-tunes. OSX 3.9 3g ram

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 4, 2005, 09:00 PM

What's the size of the file if you use Get Info?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Dec 4, 2005, 09:12 PM

If you're burning as CD Audio, then all the matters is duration. Irregardless of the quality of the original file, everything is converted to CD Audio (44.1kHz whatever). Before it could be burned as CD audio your CD burning program would have to convert it to the format used for Audio CDs, resulting in a file size of about 710MB.

You can burn it as a 102MB file on a data CD, but then you'll only be able to play it in computers (i.e. not in standalone CD players).

jmiddel  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 5, 2005, 12:55 AM

Hi, f100, it is 102MB in Get Info. mduell, many thanks for your clarification, I did not realize that when I select Audio CD everything gets converted to the 44.1kHz format no matter what the original file size and type is. Very helpful

Forum Links
Forum Rules