Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > RANT: Why don't cops go after the real criminals?

RANT: Why don't cops go after the real criminals? (Page 5)
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Then the law should outlaw being unruly, violent, and dangerous to be around. It's not OK to arrest people because someone else might be unruly, violent, or dangerous to be around.

tooki
It is illegal to be unruly, violent and dangerous and you do get arrested for that. Depending on how violent and dangerous charged with a crime too.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2005, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Not at all. The statute says being obviously intoxicated in a public place is itself a crime. The reasoning behind it is probably, among other things, that many drunks are unruly, violent and dangerous to be around.
In communist Cuba there is a "law" that says you can be arrested if you are not a full time student or employed, because obviously, if you aren't doing either of those, you are bound to be engaged in criminal activities. This is the same kind of flawed logic that applies to the law you state.

When people become drunk, their emotions and true nature just bubbles up to the surface more easily. So, how an individual acts depends on his/her nature. Most people I've had drinks with do not become violent or aggressive. And I do believe it is wrong to arrest an individual for merely being drunk or high, even.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 05:45 PM

hum

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 28, 2005, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
In communist Cuba there is a "law" that says you can be arrested if you are not a full time student or employed, because obviously, if you aren't doing either of those, you are bound to be engaged in criminal activities. This is the same kind of flawed logic that applies to the law you state.

When people become drunk, their emotions and true nature just bubbles up to the surface more easily. So, how an individual acts depends on his/her nature. Most people I've had drinks with do not become violent or aggressive. And I do believe it is wrong to arrest an individual for merely being drunk or high, even.
work in the inner city near bar nd club closing time, you will feel different. That law is the only tool cops have to deal with the problems.

Like I have said before I've been out dozens of times where I could, well should have been arrested, and not once. I think there is something missing in this story.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 28, 2005, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Athens
Like I have said before I've been out dozens of times where I could, well should have been arrested, and not once. I think there is something missing in this story.
Yep. You're lucky. You should have been ****ed by the power tripping police many times by now.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2005, 06:03 PM

work in the inner city near bar nd club closing time, you will feel different. That law is the only tool cops have to deal with the problems..
Indeed, I've seen plenty of drunken disordely conduct in my day, and cops are a special breed to be able to deal with it day in and day out.

Maybe the cop in kmkkid's story has one of these nights and was a little "trigger" happy when it came to another drunk person (whether they deserved to be arrested or not).

I don't condone this however, since being impartial law enforcers (to protect and serve right?) is their job.

It just seems that lately "to serve" has been put on the backburner with many police forces. Having gone to H.S. in a very small town the only action these cops get sometimes is to step over their juristiction. Like demanding that you open an locked trunk with no probable cause whatsoever, other than "I saw your dome light on down the street" that and being 18 year olds out after dark.

I have had very little "help" at any time in my entire life from any police officer, other than being looked down apon because I'm young.

I think when I was small a cop once stopped traffic and let me pass a busy street on my bike. That is about all that comes to mind.

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by EnemyTerritoryish
I have told you what I've seen.
Everything you have seen must be the sum total of the entire law enforcement profession then.... is that what you are trying to say?

As for me, I've been a member here since 1999 and I'm pretty well known.
True.... yet, very few people seem to like you. I wonder why that is?

Hmmm....

As for my contributions to society , I really don't see how that pertains to what I've seen cops do. I could be a clown, a construction worker, or a lawyer and it really wouldn't matter.
But it would. Would I put any faith in a criminal's viewpoint of the police? Would I put any faith in the ability of a person with no taste buds to critique a chef?

I would like to know what makes you an expert on the police, for the comments you have made seem to indicate that you know something the rest of us don't.

Or, are you just whining and talking about something you know nothing about?

Noooo. That can't be it, can it?

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 02:51 AM

I'd take the cops in the US over the cops in Japan any day. Japan has a 99% conviction rate for arrests. That should scare anyone with common sense. I've heard several stories from other English teachers of Japan cops who hate foreigners and make it known. There was an incident not too long ago where cops picked up a foreign lady on bogus 'stolen bike' charges, had her sign a blank sheet of paper, and then forged a confession around it. Plus, any scuff with the police at all will probably end up with me getting booted out of Japan. For life.

The upside is that no one cares about drinking in public, drunkness in public, drunken bike ridding. Mmm... drunken bike ridding...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2005, 04:20 AM

I just had a guy arrested in my lobby for being to drunk and refusing to leave. I'll post the picture from my phone tommorrow morning when I get home. This guy was also violating his probation too.

I find the forged confession a little hard to swallow, but anything is possible.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2005, 05:57 AM

And for those who thinks cops are jerks for pulling them over for speeding

http://www.vancouverpreludeclub.com/...5&pagenumber=1

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 29, 2005, 09:58 AM

I find the forged confession a little hard to swallow, but anything is possible.
It is, unfortunately, quite true, and this particular tactic has been used for decades. I would not go to Japan at all for this specific bit of corruption alone.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 12:32 PM

And for those who thinks cops are jerks for pulling them over for speeding

http://www.vancouverpreludeclub.com/...5&pagenumber=1
I don't think that that has anything to do with anything. THe guy crashed when he was driving... many people crash when they are not speeding. He died because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. And there is quite a bit of difference between "driving at a high rate of speed" and going over the speed limit. And who's to say that if the cop hadn't been racing to try to catch him, that the crash would have happened.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 29, 2005, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by James L

Or, are you just whining and talking about something you know nothing about?
Whatever dude. Just because I don't ride around sucking police dick all day like you do doesn't mean my opinions and experiences aren't just as valid as yours.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 29, 2005, 12:43 PM

Whatever dude. Just because I don't ride around sucking police dick all day like you do doesn't mean my opinions and experiences aren't just as valid as yours.
Typical Rob. When proved wrong, turns to personal attacks and silliness.

No, your opinions aren't as valid as his because you have a chip on your shoulder, and you exaggerate.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2005, 12:48 PM

sigh.... where do you live anyways.

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2005, 12:52 PM

Way to strengthen your position. Your argument is both articulate, and intelligent, in its design.

Your parents must be very proud.

medicineman
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid
Ok, now that i've recovered from my weekly binge I can rant. I got arrested and fined the other night for being 'intoxicated in a public place'. This is what happened : I left the bar WITH a friend which was helping me walk to another friends where I was going to stay the night. Me and my friend turn the corner, I slip on the ice, and down I go. Next thing I know 3 cops are approcahing me and then I get cuffs slapped on me. To me this is complete BS. I wasnt being rowdy, I was in good company and I was headed home(friends). WHY THE HELL SHOULD I GET FINED?!?! I was doing the resposible thing, I was going home with a friend, yet there are hoodlums out there robbing people/stores, and they go uncaptured cause of these ****wit cops wasting their time with me, and right before X-Mas, well happy ****ing holidays to all the pigs out there, you sure helped me!

Well at least I wasn't charged, I would have spent christmas in jail till court resumed.
I guess your line, " ..friend which was helping me walk.." , says it all.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 29, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by James L
Way to strengthen your position. Your argument is both articulate, and intelligent, in its design.

Your parents must be very proud.

Yep. Whatever dude. I don't really try arguing with you because anything I say will obviously be ignored and you'll take any point I make and twist it around in some other light because you refuse to acknowledge another person's opinion. So yeah. I'll just play low brow. Blow me.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 29, 2005, 03:24 PM

be ignored and you'll take any point I make and twist it around in some other light because you refuse to acknowledge another person's opinion. So yeah. I'll just play low brow. Blow me.
Rob, you have just described what you have been doing in this entire thread to a T.

Do you not realize this?

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 29, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Rob, you have just described what you have been doing in this entire thread to a T.

Do you not realize this?
Sure Zimphire. You win. Your powers of argument are simply marvelous.

Kevin
Baninated
Dec 29, 2005, 06:21 PM

Well it's a good thing I wasn't arguing with you. I was stating a fact.

All you have been posting in here is chest pounding silliness.

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
Not at all. The statute says being obviously intoxicated in a public place is itself a crime. The reasoning behind it is probably, among other things, that many drunks are unruly, violent and dangerous to be around.

kmk, describe the area where you fell. Is it a well lit place with a wide sidewalk, or a narrow little dark place? It makes a difference in understanding how you might have been singled out for arrest.
It was on a sidewalk with quite a large boulevard. Not many people were out as it was 2 am in the morning, so it's not like I was drunk in a crowd of people. It was on a main street however.

I admit now that I shouldn't have been drunk and walking around, but I don't see why they had to fine me, they could have just taken me home. Especially when I have no prior convictions of any crime, and I was being passive, not loud and obnoxious. Oh well the fine is paid now, so it's over with

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by medicineman
I guess your line, " ..friend which was helping me walk.." , says it all.
Read the whole thread.

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 06:47 PM

I just had a guy arrested in my lobby for being to drunk and refusing to leave. I'll post the picture from my phone tommorrow morning when I get home. This guy was also violating his probation too.

Nosey much?

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 06:49 PM

And to set the record straight, I wasn't being a jerk or being aggresive. If I had been, I would have been charged with drunk and disorderly, not a simple intoxicated in public.

EnemyTerritoryish
Banned
Dec 29, 2005, 06:52 PM

It's funny the type of big brother-ish the law is always right mentality some posters have around here. What's scary is it's those same type of people who become cops.

kmkkid  (op)
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2005, 06:55 PM

I find it funny also how people just assume that the cops wern't being assholes, and also assume I was being a violent drunk. holier than thou..... some members here must be angels typing from heaven.

I bet heaven's got ultra high speed intarweb.

James L
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 12:16 AM

It's funny the type of big brother-ish the law is always right mentality some posters have around here. What's scary is it's those same type of people who become cops.
This coming from someone who is apparently so ashamed of their own life history, life experiences, education levels, and occupational experience that they won't discuss it when directly asked. Someone who bases their comments on rhetoric and minute amounts of personal experience.

Yup, YOU sir are in a perfect position to comment on those who actually contribute something to society.

Not.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2005, 04:30 AM

BTW Rob I upgraded to a SUV

Forum Links
Forum Rules