Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Safari.app Leaks - When is Apple going to acknowledge/fix this?

Safari.app Leaks - When is Apple going to acknowledge/fix this?
ambush
Banned
Jan 17, 2006, 04:13 PM

Safari.app Leaks - When is Apple going to acknowledge/fix this?

I have to restart it like.... very very very often, so it doesnt eat all my ram. Imagine this: with no window open, it can take like 50%+ of real memory.

A pain in the ass!

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 04:23 PM

Apple acknowledged already that Safari has memory leaks. Read the Surfin' Safari blog and you'll see them mention it a few times.

When are they going to fix it? They'll fix it as they find the bugs. It's not like they simply have to set a "do not leak" compiler flag.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Jan 17, 2006, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
It's not like they simply have to set a "do not leak" compiler flag.

Hee hee hee!
The era of anthropomorphizing hardware is over.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Jan 17, 2006, 06:17 PM

If it were that easy they would have the ability to add things like "make it go ludicrously
fast" and "organize links in a visually beautiful manner" and the "antispam" feature.

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2006, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Todd Madson
If it were that easy they would have the ability to add things like "make it go ludicrously
fast" and "organize links in a visually beautiful manner" and the "antispam" feature.

ambush  (op)
Banned
Jan 17, 2006, 07:13 PM

TETENAL, I think you're taking this too lightly. Memory leaks in such an essential applications are the worst thing. They slow the whole system down to a crawl, they take HD space (VM space), etc.

I know that leaks are hard to fix (I probably spent a whole day fixing leaks in my own app.), but still they should be fixed before implementing new features.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 12:59 AM

Yeah, this version of Safari 2.0.3 does have a memory leak. Sucks.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Feb 5, 2006, 06:53 AM

It's certainly a problem, but as sort of a solution you could try using Shiira (http://hmdt-web.net/shiira/en) instead of Safari - it renders things the same but seems to use less memory and CPU (looks nicer too I think, although it uses a silly drawer).

analogika
Posting Junkie
Feb 5, 2006, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by ambush
TETENAL, I think you're taking this too lightly. Memory leaks in such an essential applications are the worst thing. They slow the whole system down to a crawl, they take HD space (VM space), etc.

I know that leaks are hard to fix (I probably spent a whole day fixing leaks in my own app.), but still they should be fixed before implementing new features.
What exactly do you think the Safari development team is doing?

JKT
Professional Poster
Feb 5, 2006, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by ambush

Read the blog... I don't know if those fixes have been rolled into the shipping version of WebKit/Safari yet, but they are working on them. FWIW, Shiira is going to suffer a similar number of leaks as it uses the same WebKit as Safari (I only say similar as there could be memory leaks from the rest of the app as well which may differ between Shiira and Safari).

Benton
Forum Regular
Feb 5, 2006, 09:16 AM

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 30, 2006, 12:14 PM

Forum Links
Forum Rules