Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Gays Hunted in Iraq

Gays Hunted in Iraq (Page 2)
Atheist
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Well it's a good thing I live in Canada where I don't have to worry about being hung, AND I can get married, AND have equal rights and freedoms.
Sorry... but didn't anyone else find this funny? Nobody cares about penis size in Canada?

Just for the record kmkkid, when referring to a rope around the neck, it's hanged, not hung.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Slavery: Invented by atheist Africans. Abolished by Christians.
After being thoroughly practiced by Christians

Witches: Inquisition started by a need to repel the muslims from Christian lands.
Reference? I've never heard that one, even after studying the topic for several months. I've heard that it was used against Muslims, but never that it was started because of them.

ink
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2006, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar² View Post
Bush's stance on gays has nothing to do with what islamic groups in Iraq are doing.
Other than both groups derive their fear from the same tribal text...

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
Sorry... but didn't anyone else find this funny? Nobody cares about penis size in Canada?

Just for the record kmkkid, when referring to a rope around the neck, it's hanged, not hung.
Both 'hanged' and 'hung' are correct.

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 10:47 PM

No offence kmkkid, but the premise of this thread is as naive as the idea that democracy in Iraq would secure the political power of minorities and stabilize the region.

Anyways, does anyone know how well gays are treated in Iran? Just curious.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2006, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Reference? I've never heard that one, even after studying the topic for several months. I've heard that it was used against Muslims, but never that it was started because of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_inquisition
The Spanish Inquisition was motivated in part by the multi-religious nature of Spanish society following the reconquest of the Iberian peninsula from the Moors. Much of the Iberian peninsula was dominated by Moors following their invasion of the peninsula in 711 until they were expelled by means of a long campaign of reconquest. However, the reconquest did not result in the full expulsion of Muslims from Spain, but instead yielded a multi-religious society made up of Catholics, Jews and Muslims. Granada to the south, in particular remained under Moorish control until 1492, and large cities, especially Seville, Valladolid (the capital of Castile), and Barcelona (the capital of the Kingdom of Aragon), had large Jewish populations centered in juderias.
If there'd never have been a moorish conquest of Iberia, there'd have been no multi-culturalism there. And there'd never have been any need for the inquisition.

And in case you're wondering what all this has to do with witch-hunts:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt
It had been proposed that the witch-hunt developed in Europe after the Cathars and the Templar Knights were exterminated and the Inquisition had to turn to persecution of witches to remain active.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2006, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Both 'hanged' and 'hung' are correct.
No, they are not. ‘Hanged’ is the only correct form when referring to killing someone by hanging.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2006, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Tell that to the 'so-called witches', and the blacks throughout history. Let's face it, if it wasn't for State law, gays would be condemned, and god knows what would happen to us. Anything from "experimental tests" to killings, and protests condoning gay bashings. Oh wait, that's already happened because law is mixed with religion, which it should not be.
i've always wondered why so many arab men are anti-homosexual when they are always hugging, kissing each other, and walking hand in hand?

oh, but that's straight men behavior right?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 26, 2006, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by houstonmacbro View Post
i've always wondered why so many arab men are anti-homosexual when they are always hugging, kissing each other, and walking hand in hand?

oh, but that's straight men behavior right?
Yes, it is. Ones conceptions of what constitutes ‘gay behaviour’ and ‘straight behaviour’ will always be culturally dependent. In most Germanic-speaking areas (the US, Canada, the UK, Germany, Scandinavia, etc.), it’s considered gay if guys hug, peck, or hold hands—but oddly enough, not if girls do it. In many other parts of the world (partly even in Southern and Eastern Europe, as well as great parts of Africa and the Middle and Far East), such things are not associated with homosexuality.

Think about it: why is it ‘gay’ for two guys to walk down the street, hand in hand, but not for two girls to do the same? Why is it ‘gay’ for two guys to hold hands, but not in the least ‘gay’ to shake hands? Because, for us, shaking hands is a completely asexual act that simply confers a greeting? Well, in many cultures, a peck or kiss on the cheek is a completely asexual act that simply confers a greeting, as well.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Oct 26, 2006, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Spanish Inquisition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If there'd never have been a moorish conquest of Iberia, there'd have been no multi-culturalism there. And there'd never have been any need for the inquisition.

And in case you're wondering what all this has to do with witch-hunts:

Witch-hunt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Interesting. Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2006, 04:08 PM

I thought there was a lot of homosexuality in the Islamic world. Isn't the promise of the 72 virgins in the Islamic paradise supposedly a promise of both female and male virgins?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Forum Links
Forum Rules