Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > So let's say Leopard is released the 20th...

So let's say Leopard is released the 20th...
ero2
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 01:18 PM

And I bought my MBP on the 29 oth January...would I be entitled to a free upgrade to Leopard? Or does it have to be within 14 days? I assume they woudn't ACTUALLY make you return the computer and get one with Leopard correct? I know it's speculation but I'd hate to have to pay for it, for buying my computer a few days early.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 01:22 PM

If it works the same way as it worked with Tiger, then computers purchased on or after the date of Leopard's shipping announcement are entitled to a free upgrade. If you buy right before ship date you're definitely going to get the free upgrade.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OreoCookie
Feb 5, 2007, 01:36 PM

Since a release before the WWDC is unlikely, this is a question you should be asking yourself this summer It's right after MacWorld SF, so chances of a release of Leopard are slim to none.

If you need a computer now, then buy it now.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 5, 2007, 02:04 PM

its been such with me that you HAVE TO be within 2 weeks to get it free. that is there policy with anything... I bought my MBP right before the free nano promo, and since it was within 2 weeks, I took my reciepts back, and they basically returned the computer, waived the return fee, and then I bought the computer again and got the free nano.

I am almost positive it has to be within 2 weeks.
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 5, 2007, 02:23 PM

Don't worry about it. Leopard ain't coming out till the very end of spring.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2007, 06:48 PM

Expect Leopard release at around June (the new date for WWDC 2007). Leopard is pretty much still in Alpha right now.

Feb 20th is rumored to be the day for updated lines such as Mac Pro, Displays, etc

neyoung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 8, 2007, 04:49 PM

From what I've read, the others are right. There is a a 14 day grace period. If you buy a Mac within that grace period and a new OS comes out then you are entitled to a free upgrade. Otherwise you gotta buy it.
Apple Switcher!
365 Days of my experience with Apple at Keynote 2 Keynote
Join the 100 Apple Users and Switchers Project

krove
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 05:42 PM

I'm not sure how this plays into the release, but WebKit just went into a bug triage/stabilization mode for an unspecified period per this blog post: Surfin’ Safari - Blog Archive � Stabilization Spree ‘07

No new feature checkins, just bug fixes, stabilization patches. Interesting, if you ask me.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2007, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by BigMac
If it works the same way as it worked with Tiger, then computers purchased on or after the date of Leopard's shipping announcement are entitled to a free upgrade. If you buy right before ship date you're definitely going to get the free upgrade.
Listen to the man. He's right.

Eidt: SO basically, the answer to your question is No.
( Last edited by brokenjago; Feb 8, 2007 at 06:25 PM. )
Linkinus is king.

little a
Feb 9, 2007, 12:47 AM

i'm in a similar position -- i will probably buy a macbook soon but i'm concerned about paying too much for not waiting -- and i was wondering how it worked when Tiger came out. that is, for people who had the previous OS and had to pay to upgrade, how much did it hurt?

alfio

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2007, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by little a View Post
i'm in a similar position -- i will probably buy a macbook soon but i'm concerned about paying too much for not waiting -- and i was wondering how it worked when Tiger came out. that is, for people who had the previous OS and had to pay to upgrade, how much did it hurt?

alfio
$129 on the Apple Store, as little as $70 if you find the right deal.
Chuck
___

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2007, 07:39 AM

FWIW I don't think the end of June is a likely launch date - that's too close the the iPhone, and if there's one thing Apple does well it's space out it's product launches so that each one receives it's time in the limelight.

I personally suspect a launch early spring, perhaps around Easter, perhaps with an announcement to that effect on the 20th of this month
( Last edited by Gee4orce; Feb 9, 2007 at 07:40 AM. Reason: corrected date: 28 days in Fed, not 30 !)

legacyb4
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2007, 10:45 AM

It'd make sense too since you would want your base of upgraded Leopard people jonesing for a new toy that brings all the communication features of Leopard together in one sweet package.
Macbook (Black) C2D/250GB/3GB | G5/1.6 250GBx2/2.0GB
Free Mobile Ringtone & Games Uploader | Flickr | Twitter

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2007, 10:57 AM

I generally wait until the first hardware upgrade after a major OS release, but I plan accordingly. I also shy away from the first version of a piece of hardware. It's far from scientific, but it works for me.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce View Post
FWIW I don't think the end of June is a likely launch date - that's too close the the iPhone, and if there's one thing Apple does well it's space out it's product launches so that each one receives it's time in the limelight.

I personally suspect a launch early spring, perhaps around Easter, perhaps with an announcement to that effect on the 20th of this month
And moving WWDC to the very last week of the season that Leopard was supposed to be released is just a coincidence? That seems less likely to me than Apple releasing Leopard a month earlier than the iPhone.
Chuck
___

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2007, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Frugle View Post
its been such with me that you HAVE TO be within 2 weeks to get it free. that is there policy with anything... I bought my MBP right before the free nano promo, and since it was within 2 weeks, I took my reciepts back, and they basically returned the computer, waived the return fee, and then I bought the computer again and got the free nano.

I am almost positive it has to be within 2 weeks.
That's hardware. If you buy a Mac today and a few days later Apple announces a new model you can swap your one for the new one.

To get a free upgrade to the latest OS you need to buy your Mac after the release date for 10.5 has been announced. Apple will then let you upgrade for free.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2007, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
And moving WWDC to the very last week of the season that Leopard was supposed to be released is just a coincidence? That seems less likely to me than Apple releasing Leopard a month earlier than the iPhone.
I know Think Secret's track record has been sliding downhill lately, but it's at least worth mentioning that they're hearing word of a March release for Leopard (along with iLife & iWork '07)...

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2007, 02:00 PM

I don't see a tie-in between WWDC and the OS release. Really.

Developers already have Leopard. It's not like Apple are going to stage WWDC after (or on) the 10.5 launch and say "by the way, here's all those secret features" to the developers.

June is about as early as Apple can stage WWDC (to prevent it being too soon after last year's). So even if WWDC is early and you're assuming that's because they want to cover the new stuff in Leopard, all that says to me is that 10.5 is going to be out before WWDC.

WebKit has been feature frozen, and developers are now only concentrating on bug fixes. Traditionally this is a big pointer that they are getting it ready for a Final Candidate OS release. Add a few weeks for bug fixing, a few more for packaging and distribution, and I think we'll see 10.5 in the shops sometime in April.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2007, 03:24 PM

June is about as early as Apple can stage WWDC (to prevent it being too soon after last year's).
Not just June — the very last week before they miss their deadline for Leopard. That's the part that made me take note. I don't think one week earlier or later in June would have been too early or too late compared to last year, but one week later would definitely be too late for Leopard. I mean, there are 51 weeks in the year that have no significance vis-a-vis Leopard, and they picked the other one.

So even if WWDC is early and you're assuming that's because they want to cover the new stuff in Leopard, all that says to me is that 10.5 is going to be out before WWDC.
So you really think there's no significance to it being the very last week of the season? It's a complete coincidence? I suppose you could be right, but it just seems improbable.

WebKit has been feature frozen, and developers are now only concentrating on bug fixes. Traditionally this is a big pointer that they are getting it ready for a Final Candidate OS release.
Well, duh. The question is just whether they're feature-freezing it just couple of weeks before it goes GM or if they're freezing it early so people have months to find bugs in the system.
Chuck
___

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 05:11 PM

As of last week WebKit has 148 priority 1 bugs remaining. That's after we knocked 12 of 'em out on bugday

(I got one!)

<edit>Make that 143 now</edit>
( Last edited by Catfish_Man; Feb 11, 2007 at 04:05 PM. Reason: New info)

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2007, 08:48 PM

if you just dropped 1500 bucks on a laptop and are worried about another 100, apple's OS release schedule is the least of your worries.

earthlings
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 11, 2007, 01:22 AM

I wonder and suspect if there is going to be some new designs on the look of the imac this year.

Forum Links
Forum Rules