Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac mini upgrade problem

Mac mini upgrade problem
64stang06
Mac Elite
May 20, 2009, 02:38 PM

Ok, not sure where to start but here goes.

I have a Core Solo mini that AppleCare finally ran out on in April. Since then, I've upgraded the hard drive to 320GB Western Digital Scorpion Black (7200RPM) and a full 2GB of RAM, and everything worked great. I figured I would take the plunge and make it into a Core Duo, so I purchased a 1.83GHz for $35.

Received it today and followed an online guide on upgrading. Took my time so I wouldn't screw anything up, put everything back together and when I go to power it on, all I get is a loud fan noise. No power light comes on and no startup chime is to be heard.

I unplugged the machine, took it apart and triple-checked all my cables and connections, and everything is secured in place. I put it back together but still get the loud fan.

I haven't put the old processor in just yet to see if it works, I'm letting it sit for awhile and was hoping I could get a little help, if any, on what could be wrong.

I have complete backups of everything as of last night, so I'm not too worried about losing data. Just hoping I can get the machine back to life.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2009, 03:06 PM

What model of processor did you buy? It'll have a specific number on it.
Alternatively, what are the specifications of the processor?

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 20, 2009, 05:30 PM

Is it a T5600? If not it won't work.

64stang06  (op)
Mac Elite
May 20, 2009, 11:04 PM

Sorry. It was a T2400 socket-M processor. I put the original back in and it won't power on also. So I probably screwed up somewhere, but not sure where. :/

Specs:
Intel T2400 Core Duo Mobile CPU 1.83Ghz 2Mb 667 SL8VQ

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2009, 04:15 PM

Are the pins in the CPU socket or on the processor? Check either one VERY carefully for any bending.

Have you tried swapping out different RAM?
Did you remember to plug the fan sensor cable back in?

64stang06  (op)
Mac Elite
May 21, 2009, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Are the pins in the CPU socket or on the processor? Check either one VERY carefully for any bending.

Have you tried swapping out different RAM?
Did you remember to plug the fan sensor cable back in?
The pins are on the processor itself, like the core solo chip. No bending on it.

I did replace the RAM with the original RAM from Apple and that didn't do it either. As I said, all cables were triple checked and everything was fastened and secured. Still not sure.

Bairdy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 11, 2009, 06:22 PM

Well - I have exactly the same problem - Took it apart to upgrade the drive and memory - and to look at the processor (I have Core Solo) put it all back together and No light -- NADA.

If I do the hold on button down then insert power I get high speed fan and no Boot or lights.

I think its probably that I broke something on the Logic board but I was wondering if you managed to figure out your problem ?

Thanks

Forum Links
Forum Rules