Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > no desktop in Snow Leopard Finder

no desktop in Snow Leopard Finder
Le Flaneur
Senior User
Feb 6, 2010, 01:14 AM

Twice it has happened to me in Snow Leopard (10.6.2) that the Finder stopped displaying the desktop. Quitting the Finder and relaunching restored it. My installation of Snow Leopard is absolutely clean (erased hard disk and installed everything from scratch and rebuilt prefs).

Has anyone else seen this?

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Feb 6, 2010, 01:22 AM

Are you working with dual displays? I have some really odd issues with Finder sometimes with SL. Hoping 10.6.3 will fix it.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2010, 05:04 AM

Im finding 10.6.2 quite flakey with the desktop as well. Clean install on my MacBook Pro. I use a screen at work with the MBP folded up underneath it. When I open the MBP at home after disconnecting it, the desktop is blank. Force quitting the finder restores my desktop files. Sometimes I just get a black desktop which gets redrawn only when I move a finder window across it.

Seems like a glitch. Happens when using either graphic card in the MBP so not specifically a graphic card issue I guess.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Thorzdad
Feb 6, 2010, 08:09 AM

I'm also noticing Finder oddness in 10.6.2. For me, it's when I log into a user account on our new iMac. Finder can, sometimes, be very slow to load. As in "sit and wait while you watch the individual items in the menu bar slowly appear one by one followed by each item on the desktop" slow. I've also had Finder crashes when scrolling through, specifically, my Preferences folder.

Cold Warrior
Feb 6, 2010, 10:32 AM

When Finder and the system in general get weird, I'll usually run Onyx as an initial troubleshooting step to flush possibly-corrupt items. The Automation option is fine to run.

Download OnyX for Mac - OS X maintenance & optimization tool. MacUpdate Mac Software Downloads

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Are you working with dual displays? I have some really odd issues with Finder sometimes with SL. Hoping 10.6.3 will fix it.
I'm using my MBP in clamshell mode with a 23" Cinema Display.

Le Flaneur  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
I'm also noticing Finder oddness in 10.6.2. For me, it's when I log into a user account on our new iMac. Finder can, sometimes, be very slow to load. As in "sit and wait while you watch the individual items in the menu bar slowly appear one by one followed by each item on the desktop" slow. I've also had Finder crashes when scrolling through, specifically, my Preferences folder.
So much for the new and improved Finder!
( Last edited by Le Flaneur; Feb 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules