Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Connecting Netflix to TV

Connecting Netflix to TV
SIROB
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 17, 2010, 07:21 PM

I'm having difficulty connecting my macbook to my older tv using a dvi to video adapter. When connected, I get sound without video. I replaced the adapter thinking it may have been defective but, apparently that is not the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks for the feedback

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 17, 2010, 07:35 PM

You need to do audio with a separate cable. Either the output or the input of yr current setup isn't pushing the sound.

SIROB  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by scaught View Post
You need to do audio with a separate cable. Either the output or the input of yr current setup isn't pushing the sound.
The sound is fine, I'm having problems with the video. I'm using a red/white to headphone jack for audio, and a separate yellow cable from the dvi to video adapter to the tv.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 18, 2010, 12:22 PM

you need to go into the Display System Preference panel and detect the external display (tv) and then adjust that setting to something the tv can display.

ibook_steve
Oct 18, 2010, 12:22 PM

Do TV resolutions show up in the Displays preferences? Does the computer recognize that the TV is attached (screen flashes through solid blue screen)?

What is your sequence of connecting the adaptor? What I mean is the machine awake when you are doing this? Have you tried selecting Detect Displays?

Lots of things it could be that you don't indicate you've tried.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

Forum Links
Forum Rules