Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mini buying annoyance

Mini buying annoyance
jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 21, 2013, 10:21 PM

I wish to get a mini server, with one 256 ssd and one 1T regular HD. This is not available. I can get it with 2 regulars, one or two ssds, or a fusion drive. Does anyone know why my config is not offered? I will have to buy the one with the 2 regulars, take it apart, which seems to be quite a process, and exchange one of the drives for an ssd. Which voids my warranty. BTW I understand that the FD is one reg and one ssd 128 in both bays, I don't want a FD, just two independent drives, and 128 is way too small.

RedHdRiley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2013, 10:34 AM

The only thing I can figure is to milk more money from us. I wanted the same 1T/fusion configuration as well.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2013, 10:49 AM

The mini isn't that hard to get apart.

You could probably get a 256 GB SSD for half or a third of what Apple charges, pay an authorized service center to install it all for you, and *still* come out ahead.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2013, 06:50 PM

For those who don't do this sort of thing regularly, changing drives in the mini is a pain. Well, changing the primary drive is anyway. You need a special tool to remove the logic board as well, though I managed to fashion one from a larger gauge paper clip recently.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

cgc
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2013, 07:20 AM

I wish I could buy a Mini with no Apple RAM installed. I can max it out at Crucial for $110 but to upgrade from 4GB to 16GB (12GB delta) costs $300 at Apple.com. That and I still want a Mini with dedicated GPU.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 3, 2013, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
For those who don't do this sort of thing regularly, changing drives in the mini is a pain. Well, changing the primary drive is anyway. You need a special tool to remove the logic board as well, though I managed to fashion one from a larger gauge paper clip recently.
Two thin screw drivers or allen keys work just as well as Apples "special" tool. It's just to push the logic board back. As long as you can find something thin enough to fit through the holes and reach to the case to provide the leverage, you're fine.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 3, 2013, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Doc HM View Post
Two thin screw drivers or allen keys work just as well as Apples "special" tool. It's just to push the logic board back. As long as you can find something thin enough to fit through the holes and reach to the case to provide the leverage, you're fine.
Like I said, I fashioned the tool using a paper clip but I stand firm on my other opinion. If you don't do this sort of thing regularly like you and I do, its a daunting swap for a novice.

Am I right in thinking you need to match the disk brand on these because of the thermal sensors like in the recent iMacs too?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Mar 4, 2013, 03:21 AM

Like I said, I fashioned the tool using a paper clip but I stand firm on my other opinion. If you don't do this sort of thing regularly like you and I do, its a daunting swap for a novice.

Am I right in thinking you need to match the disk brand on these because of the thermal sensors like in the recent iMacs too?
True it's certainly a pain, but probably not actually harder than the older style mini, which needed the putty knife and a lot of disassembly.

AFAIK any laptop drive is fine in these.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2013, 10:33 PM

Will any old flat spudger do it?

I only really wanted to type "spudger".

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2013, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Will any old flat spudger do it?

I only really wanted to type "spudger".
Do what?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2013, 11:14 AM

Spudge.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 10, 2013, 02:30 PM

Do what?
Push back the logic board.

Everyone loves spudge!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Mar 10, 2013, 05:01 PM

The Apple way to do it is to poke a wire handle tool through two holes on the board and then pull the board. I guess there are a couple of clips under the board that you have to release.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2013, 04:59 PM

Too bad. I was hoping you could just pack it with spudge.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Mar 11, 2013, 06:27 PM

Think of the children!

Forum Links
Forum Rules