Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > memory installation problem

memory installation problem
act16
Aug 25, 2000, 04:18 PM

I am trying to install memory into the iMac, and have come across a very odd problem. I went to unscrew the two screws to remove the motherboard. One came out fine, but the other one looked stripped. I tried to carefully remove it, but it was definitely stripped. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get that screw out without causing damage to the computer? Thanks!

iMacguy
Aug 25, 2000, 08:33 PM

Just out of curiousity, why are you removing the motherboard just to install memory? It is just supposed to snap in after you remove the back plastic plate. At least, that's how I did it.
Are you missing something or am I?
"These are not the droids you're looking for"

act16
Aug 25, 2000, 10:14 PM

All the instructions that were given to me tell me to unscrew the two screws on the plastic handle and remove the motherboard (or logic board/drive assembly according to manual on Apple's website). That is the wording in instructions, maybe that isn't what the piece is called? I don't always know the correct terminology. The directions I am looking at are at http://imac2day.com/tech/visualRAM2.shtml, step 8 and 9. Is that not the correct way? Thanks!

LY
Forum Regular
Aug 25, 2000, 11:35 PM

Could be that you have one of the first imacs where memory was supposed to be kind of difficult to install. The more recent imacs starting w. the DV model introduction have a pretty simple and quick memory installation process.

iMacguy
Aug 26, 2000, 04:45 AM

Yes, please tell us, what kind of iMac do you have? Is it one of the DV models or an earlier one? If you are not sure, look at the right side of the computer-the right side as you face the monitor-do you see all of the ports to connect your peripherals? OK, is there a little door that can cover those ports or are they always unprotected? If there's no door you have a newer model. If there is a door you have one of the earlier models. Let us know and we should be more able to help you.
"These are not the droids you're looking for"

act16
Aug 26, 2000, 12:22 PM

Ah yes. That would be the problem. I have the oldest one (233Mhz: the one that only came in one color). I assumed all iMacs were similar inside.

pjd1965
Sep 1, 2000, 09:47 PM

rev a - rev d imacs are a little tricky to install new ram. they do not have that cool little door in the back for ram like the newer imacs. i used the directions from http://imac2day.com/tech/visualRAM2.shtml and had no trouble getting my new 64 mb chip installed. i picked up a rev a for $500. it came with the stock 32 mb chip in the bottom slot. i got a kingston 64 mb chip for $111. i put that one in the bottom slot, and put the 32 mb chip in the top slot. (that way, when i upgrade the 32 mb chip to something larger, it will be a little easier next time around). as for the screws, if it is stripped, there is not much you can do. one screw should be ok if you could not get the stripped one back in. that location i would think it is not that critical. has anyone used memory from memoryx? their prices seem a little on the cheap side, and i am wondering if it is cheap memory. i have never had a problem with kingston memory in the past, but if cheaper memory works just as good, what is the point?
pjd

act16
Sep 2, 2000, 12:15 AM

Everyone:

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, the problem is I can't get the screw out to begin with. So I can't go further. I guess I'll just have to leave it. Thanks anyway.

Ca$h68
Banned
Sep 2, 2000, 03:03 AM

You could try pliers, holding it from the top and twisting. Who stripped it?! Anyway, you dont really need to take off the motherboard if you are talented like me.

Ca$h

slider
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2000, 12:45 PM

pjd1965, go to ramseeker.com for the best ram prices. I have personally never heard of anyone that just got bad ram, if so I would think you could return it.

act16, Is the screwhead stripped or the threads. If it is the head is it completely rounded off or just enough to make the phillips pop out? If you still have some teeth left on the head get some cheap masking tape tape off around the screwhead and get some comet cleaner, wet the tip of the screw driver (spit) and stick the tip in to the comet, knock off the excess and try the screw again. This will give you extra grip. If the screw thread is stripped the only way to get is out is drilling is out, I would have a Mac tech. do it.

good luck

roders
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2000, 04:23 PM

Well Ca$h why don't you divulge some of that info your supposedly holding in that BIG head of yours (although I'm pretty sure usefull information is the last thing it's full off) & tell the guy how he can get round he's prob & replace/upgrade he's Ram!!!

[This message has been edited by roders (edited 09-02-2000).]

Ca$h68
Banned
Sep 2, 2000, 06:28 PM

First off, I'd like to say kiss my ass to whoever the dickhead is.

Secondly, yeah, it really is easier if you can get the motherboard off, but it isnt necessary. The reason that they tell you to do this, is that its easier to pry the daughtercard OFF teh motherboard if you can access it from the side. However, you can use a screwdriver and pry the daughtercard off if you are EXTREMELY CAREFUL (I already killed my daughtercard once...90 dollar mistake) you can pry it up without removing the motherboard. I'd go with teh pliers suggestion though. That'd be easiest.

Ca$h

Forum Links
Forum Rules