Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > command h (hide app) should be standard in classic apps

command h (hide app) should be standard in classic apps
adamtki
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2002, 03:55 AM

Ever try to hide a bunch of apps using command-h and a classic apps pops up to the top and all of a sudden, you have to grab that mouse and go to the right menu to hide the app instead?

Or even if you're just using a classic app and you want to hide it, the habits you learned using os x tells you to use command-h, but it doesn't work. So you go to the right menu to hide it.

When OS 9.2 was release, I was very suprised they hadn't added command-h and the hide menu command to the app menu in classic. I don't see why they decided not to do this.

Granted classic is classic (yogi bearism) so we shouldn't mess with it too much to make it behave and look like OS X apps, but there are some things Apple should tweak to bring better consistency to the OS X experience. But I doubt if this will ever change since we all witnessed OS 9's funeral at the last WWDC.
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2002, 04:08 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by adamtki:
<strong>Ever try to hide a bunch of apps using command-h and a classic apps pops up to the top and all of a sudden, you have to grab that mouse and go to the right menu to hide the app instead?

Or even if you're just using a classic app and you want to hide it, the habits you learned using os x tells you to use command-h, but it doesn't work. So you go to the right menu to hide it.

When OS 9.2 was release, I was very suprised they hadn't added command-h and the hide menu command to the app menu in classic. I don't see why they decided not to do this.

Granted classic is classic (yogi bearism) so we shouldn't mess with it too much to make it behave and look like OS X apps, but there are some things Apple should tweak to bring better consistency to the OS X experience. But I doubt if this will ever change since we all witnessed OS 9's funeral at the last WWDC.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Some Classic apps have Command-H do something else, and this would conflict with them.

Just option-click on another running app to hide the app. This is faster than going to the keyboard for command-H anyway.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

waffffffle
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2002, 04:23 AM

If you want it that badly then download Keyboard Meastro off of versiontracker and enable it as a hotkey. I also have shift-command-H enabled for hide others.

adamtki  (op)
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2002, 12:28 PM

Keyboard Maestro sounds like a good workaround, but from a ui developer's point of view, it's a very obvious inconsistency. I know that many classic apps use the command-h for something else. Even the os x version of photoshop has it mapped to something else. I wonder what the apple ui guidelines say about this.
PowerBook G4 800, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD
OS 10.3/9.2.2

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2002, 01:14 PM

I'd rather see Apple spend development resources on OS X. Classic is a dead-end and the sooner it goes away the better.

macmike42
Senior User
Jun 25, 2002, 12:21 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by msuper69:
<strong>I'd rather see Apple spend development resources on OS X. Classic is a dead-end and the sooner it goes away the better.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Correction: Classic is legacy support. As "The Steve" said, it's dead to developers, but certainly not users. The fact that it runs as an "environment" and not as the base of the OS is why OS X is stable, and Windows XP is still, well, not quite.

Also, LaunchBar has this feature (command-H hiding classic apps, what, you though I was off-topic?!). I thought it was a great idea until I tried to "Hide Extras" in Photoshop. Damn non-reconfigurable keyboard shortcuts! If you are living without LaunchBar, go get it <a href="http://www.obdev.at/products/launchbar/" target="_blank">now</a> and throw away all your other screen-hogging launchers.
"Think Different. Like The Rest Of Us."

iBook G4/1.2GHz | 1.25GB | 60GB | Mac OS X 10.4.2
Athlon XP 2500+/1.83GHz | 1GB PC3200 | 120GB | Windows XP

Forum Links
Forum Rules