Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Playstation 3 Chip specs revealed - Well some...

Playstation 3 Chip specs revealed - Well some...
kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 01:21 AM

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4051983.stm

"IBM said it would start producing the chip in early 2005 at manufacturing plants in the US. The first machines off the line using the Cell processor will be computer workstations and servers."

IBM...

Computer Workstations...

Apples next generation chip perhaps?

Who knows. Comments?

Chris

storer
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by kmkkid:
Apples next generation chip perhaps?
Definetly not... we dont even have a G5 power book yet.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 02:27 AM

so far i see nothing amazing about this chip, its just a risc on steroids.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by macaddict0001:
"The three firms claim that the Cell chip will be up to 10 times more powerful than existing processors."

That is pretty impressive to me.
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 03:45 AM

Damn.. IBM = $$$$$

All major video console makers are working with IBM. It's hard to see how all three next generation consoles' specs will be different from each other though.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 03:52 AM

Worst case scenario: IBM will devote their engineers to the development of Cell, and let PowerPC stagnate, just like Motorola did in the G4 years (favoring cell phone chipsets).

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 04:01 AM

Estimated clock speed: 4.6GHz

Estimated heat output: 85C

Estimated power requirement: 1.3V

Estimated bandwidth: 6.4GB/s off chip communication

highlights of the Cell processor design include:
+ Multi-thread, multicore architecture.
+ Supports multiple operating systems at the same time.
+ Substantial bus bandwidth to/from main memory, as well as companion chips.
+ Flexible on-chip I/O (input/output) interface.
+ Real-time resource management system for real-time applications.
+ On-chip hardware in support of security system for intellectual property protection.
+ Implemented in 90 nanometer (nm) silicon-on-insulator (SOI) technology.

Yeah, IBM would be wise to pool together all gathered data from R&D. I doubt they'll pull a Motorola on Apple.

http://www.gfdata.de/gamefront-temp/sonycell1.pdf
http://www.gfdata.de/gamefront-temp/sonycell2.pdf
( Last edited by CD Hanks; Nov 30, 2004 at 04:09 AM. )
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
Estimated heat output: 85C
Very impressive indeed

willed
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
"The three firms claim that the Cell chip will be up to 10 times more powerful than existing processors."

Yeah, that's great, except that it doesn't exist yet. The number of promises that have been made and broken about future processors over the last few years, you'd think you guys wouldn't get this excited until the chip was actually out and shipping in volume. Remember guys, 3GHz this time next year!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 07:16 AM

*hilarious image*
cool image, and yeah .. those specs are SWEET

(in theory)

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2004, 01:36 PM

It'd be on track for Apple's so-rumored "quad processor" G5.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Nov 30, 2004, 01:42 PM

Until we see it in action, it's all just Hype�.

That's the max potential clock speed of the Cell core, not the clock speed of the version that will ship in the PS3.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:

That's the max potential clock speed of the Cell core, not the clock speed of the version that will ship in the PS3.
Says who?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2004, 02:02 PM

Says who?
Says the type of guys who actually go those ISSCC meetings. (The 4.6 GHz spec came from a slide prepared for ISSCC.) Often, what is shown is the fastest speed achievable with the core. ie. Not the speed you'd expect to see in a console.

eg. A similar slide could show the G5 970FX at 2.8 or even 3.0 GHz or something, but if you were building a console with it you'd probably want to set it at around 1.8 GHz.

Yields of 2.8 GHz G5s would be far too low, and it would be far too hot for a console anyway.
Similarly, it's likely that yields of 4.6 GHz Cells would be far too low, and it would be far too hot for a console anyway.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 02:34 PM

Couldn't we possibly sell Cell in future Apple products? From the sounds of it anything could use a cell processor, so we could sell Cells in PowerMacs, PowerBooks, and even iPods perhaps?

If Cell is built on PPC then it should be backward compatible should it not? We might even see Cell based linux PCs from IBM.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 05:15 PM

its a lot like a risc, except that instead of multiple pipeling stages it has multiple cores.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Superchicken:
Couldn't we possibly sell Cell in future Apple products? From the sounds of it anything could use a cell processor, so we could sell Cells in PowerMacs, PowerBooks, and even iPods perhaps?

If Cell is built on PPC then it should be backward compatible should it not? We might even see Cell based linux PCs from IBM.
Yeah, I remember people back in the G4/Motorola days hoping beyond hope for Apple to start selling Power4's. While it is in fact probable, it just isn't practical.

Listening to mac users jump at the news of there being any new PPC chip and then hoping Apple will adopt it is like listening to a young kid who gets overly hopeful anytime his parents go to the store because he thinks they're going to buy him something. Everytime.
its a lot like a risc, except that instead of multiple pipeling stages it has multiple cores.
Yes, it is a RISC chip. I'm also rather confident it does have multiple pipelines. I can't even fathom Sony trying to achieve 4.6Ghz clock speeds with single pipeline cores.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Nov 30, 2004, 06:36 PM

Yeah, I remember people back in the G4/Motorola days hoping beyond hope for Apple to start selling Power4's. While it is in fact probable, it just isn't practical.
IBM doesn't sell POWER CPUs to 3rd parties. It sells entire machines with POWER chips in them. And they're insanely pricey.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 06:59 PM

I can't even fathom Sony trying to achieve 4.6Ghz clock speeds with single pipeline cores.
single pipeline isn't possible.

d0ubled0wn
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2004, 09:12 PM

From Investor's Business Daily:

Big Blue, in shedding its first significant light on a product it�s been developing since October 2001, says the device will arguably be the most powerful chip for consumer electronics when it hits the market next year. For now, it�s code-named the Cell chip.
�This is our next level of thinking,� said IBM Fellow Jim Kahle. He�s technology director for Cell at IBM�s Austin, Texas, research site.
Kahle says the chip will bring to the home what until recently were considered supercomputer capabilities.
For now, he says IBM has a prototype Cell chip running a workstation the company plans to start selling next year. Among other uses for Cell, the workstation is designed to give the entertainment industry powerful new capabilities. It will let movie makers add effects to their films in a lot less time than it takes today, he says.

�I would not be surprised to see IBM�s (chips) migrate even more to Apple,� Allison said. �Apple�s sauce is media stuff. One would expect to see it (the new Cell chip) in future Macintoshes.�
IBM�s Kahle declined to talk specifically about Apple�s interest in Cell. But he did note speculation that Apple is interested in the product is only natural.
�It would be something you would think would be in their realm,� Kahle said.
Among details about Cell revealed Monday, IBM said the chip will combine its flagship PowerPC core with a bunch of other, smaller cores. The end product, said the company, will be a chip designed for a variety of uses � starting with the digital entertainment segment.
Ultimately, IBM plans to market the Cell for a variety of uses, some of them unimagined today, Kahle says. �It�s a little hard to say in the early stages how these things will happen,� he said. �It�s like in the early days of the PC era. We created (Cell) in a general purpose manner so we can have people interact with computers in the future.�

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 09:55 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
IBM doesn't sell POWER CPUs to 3rd parties. It sells entire machines with POWER chips in them. And they're insanely pricey.
single pipeline isn't possible.
I rest my case.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 10:54 PM

Yah the problem is that POWER chips have always been meant for servers. This thing is supposed to go in the PS3. Hardly a server environment unless the console wars are going to take a very very interesting turn. I see this thing as probably being like the first x86 chips only a lot better designed. They'll be used for a whole lot of stuff we don't even think x86 can be use for. I wouldn't be surprised if these go all the way from embedded systems, consoles, TVs, PDAs, PCs, workstations, Macs, servers etc. From the bit I've read about these, they show a lot of promise.

I think once people get around to tweaking Linux for these we could even see Big Blue come out with it's own Linux Distro.

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 11:08 PM

I rest my case.
huh? You've been rather cold since my political lounge thread, and that doesn't make any sense.

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 11:10 PM

huh? You've been rather cold since my political lounge thread, and that doesn't make any sense.
Nothing. You confirmed my points. We're all in agreement.

Forum Links
Forum Rules